Want DVD But Shift Handle Is In Way

Username: Gunslingah

Post Number: 5
I want a DVD player for my 1995 blazer and I had noticed that the shift handle is in the way of where the screen would be. Does anyone know of a good aftermarket website or any ideas on getting the DVD player to work. If it is in Drive it's clear but in P R N OD its blocked. I could chop it but don't really want to do that as it will mess with the ability to shift.

Username: Clethal70

Post Number: 4
Can you change the shifter to a short shifter if its a stick? That might lower the handle down some for the screen.

Post Number: 5
Also if you have the shift handle on the steering wheel you may want to try 2 options. 1 see if you can add the player into the bottom part where the radio normally goes. 2nd maybe consider buying a head unit thats a dvd player without a screen and mount a screen where ever you wish.

Bronze Member
Username: Slimjim

Caro, MI US

Post Number: 15
I ran into the same problem when I considered one for my 1996 GMC Jimmy. One solution is to have it made into your center console, but then it is kind of low. I decide to get a Dvd head unit and then i am going to mold it into the ceiling console where the compass and Temprature read out is. It's very easy to relocate that if desired.

Post Number: 6
It's on the steering column and its strecting out towards the face of the player.

It's a weird design... look at pic
Upload
I have a supplier of only indash screens/players. And I like the design of having it all in one.

I was thinking of either making a lower console for it (where cigatette lighters are). I like the temerature gauges so I'm not a huge fan of that placement.

Post Number: 7
If you already have that unit I guess the best thing for you to do is modd something in your car that will place the unit out of the way of the steering wheel. Most people in that problem get the 2 piece set. You are going to have to make a miracle happen. Another thing you might want to get a idea if you already dont know try looking at your truck on cardomain.com and maybe somebody added a unit like that in theirs.

Post Number: 7
I haven't gotten it yet. I was just looking in my car and realized it would be in the way.

I might go with a 2 pc if I can but I don't know where I would mount the monitor?

Tryed that but none have a blazer with a dvd player. Well there are some but not my year.

I don't think I can do the miracle...

I'm thinking of gettin a newer car anyways so I can just look for one without the shifter in the way.

Post Number: 8
You can mount the screen anywhere. If you ever remember when people would add a cd player in their car with this tray looking thing that had a bar that was flexable you can mount the screen to one of those they have them on ebay I know bc I saw them. You might be able to attach it on the middle part of your truck where you put your drinks at or maybe the floor if you are lucky.

Post Number: 8
true, i could get a unit without a screen and hook the screen up below the entire dash. there is this lil compartment that does nothing. now... what are the good no screen combos?

Alpine DVA-9860
Alpine TME-M770

Any other good brands? (clarion is one)

Post Number: 9
Dont know too much about them but i know to stay away from JVC models another cheaper way to do it too is to get a dvd player http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Audiobahn-DVD-Player-AVDVD1P-/sem/rpsm/oid/92220/ rpem/ccd/productDetail.do
then buy a screen off ebay somewhere or off the net for under $150 or less. If you already have a radio with Aux inputs I would keep that and get something like i showed you but if money is no object anyone of those Alpine units should be fine. I find doing it with a dvd player unit adding a screen then choosing your radio to be cheaper.

Post Number: 9
Never really wanted JVC. I have a home system from them and it's not the greatest.

After driving for awhile I have noticed that it would work even though in park it is in the way. I'm gonna go the stereo place here and kinda get rough measurements but it would work anyways I'd think.

Also, I'm thinking of selling my 1995 Blazer for a 00-04 Blazer Xtreme. The shifter is COMPLETELY out of the way and I love em. But they are $15000...

Post Number: 10
Another reason for the sperate unit. You dont have to worry about the parking brake feature that doesnt allow you to have the dvd player on while driving. If you are going to buy another truck i would just keep whatever you have now and just wait to install it in the newer truck. You never know you might want something different when you do get the new ride...Right now im working on my dvd player i have in my car its the Alpine IVA-D300 im adding MP3's to dvds and found this great program that allows you to make a audio dvd with about 38 music cd albums on 1 dvd.....You can add your own blackground pic to it also....Only thing it takes about 8 to 6 hours to complete the dvd :-( Are you buying a new dvd multi player or have one already?

Post Number: 10
I'm gonna get it "rigged" when I get it installed so that is basically out of the way. If not I'll just get that done myself.

Yea I know I'm gonna be waiting for installation if I am gettin a new car.

Alpine IVA-D300, I was looking at that and I want the newer model, the Alpine IVA-D310... It has a detachable face and remote control.

There are limits on the # of mp3's so I don't think that a DVD will really work. Don't take my word though.

Multi Player? Like DVD Changer?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
The dvd will work with the Mp3's but if you try to load the blank disc with 40 cd albums I know the IVA-D300 only reads 20 of the folders on the disc. The others who knows why they dont come up. Tried different media also and no luck but i like the DVD audio creator better because i have 38 cd ablums on a blank dvd disc....Kick azz program but they still need to add more features to it. Most dvd player with multi fuctions they normally call them multi media players is what i meant.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
"DVD audio creator" that is the program name? And it makes playable MP3 DVD's on the IVA-D310.

Oh yea, its a multimedia player. CD/DVD/MP3

Bronze Member

DVD Audio Creator is the program that allows you to make your MP3's into DVD audio files....This takes awhile if you are filling up the whole dvd with MP3's but I think its better than just adding MP3's to your DVD+R or DVD-R as I said before my player wont see all the MP3's on the disc just half whats on it with just adding Mp3's to the disc. if you dont have that many cd albums doing that might sute you better but if you have alot of music like myself DVD Audio Creator works great http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/ I dont know about the IVA-D310 reading Mp3's on that being if they worked that problem out on the newer models if you ever get it up and running let me know if you are able to read all your mp3's and i mean 4gigs worth :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
Just got the cracked version of that program. Gonna have to set it up and get started on a DVD. From what I saw about this program and from what you said its basically the greatest thing ever. I have about 90 gigs of music, I think I can get 4 gigs on a DVD. :-)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
when i put 37 albums on that program it shows that i am 606% over the capacity of a dvd. how did you get so many albums on there

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
I guess it depends on how long the albums are each....Depending on the size like 1 album is 70mb folder full and some at 100mb full..This will give you a different size maybe but hey 37 aint bad then 10 on a reg. cd (smile)

Bronze Member

Post Number: 14
Upload

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
lol Make sure you have it checked ac-3 2.0 192kbps
that should be by default plus also make sure you are using MP3's and not wav files. If you used the only selection on the first screen you wont be able to add that many folders of cd albums.

Bronze Member

I had PCM, lol.

never thought about changing the quality. haha thanks man.

Anonymous

how do you "rig" a flip out dvd player to work when not in park

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
ground the parking brake wire onto the car chassis.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us