Glass "SLOPE" Q

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 608
hey ive bean reading that bcae site a lil bit but i still dont quiet get Slopes.. i know that an octave is half or double a certain frequency.. so say a have a lpf on subwoofer set at 100 hz on a 12 db slope.. does this mean at 50 hz there will be a change of 12 db? ..increased or decreased.. and if this is right why would u want the frequencys to get quieter (or louder) would u not want them to play back as recorded or is this what a flat slope does ..???

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9094
funny topic.. since slope and "Q" are the same thing :P ok, enough nerd humor.

slope is used for crossovers and EQ settings.
you have it right on slope, that a 12dB slope at a XO freq of 100Hz would mean at 50Hz you're -12dB quieter, then at 25Hz you're +12dB quieter again..

the reason for Q or Slope adjustment is in case you're using an EQ to adjust for peaks or dips in repsonse due to the environment. If you want to smooth out a spike at say, 250Hz, you need to cut or boost the signal at that point, but you also need to control how gradually that cut or boost rolls off in either direction. You can make the adjustment very fine, so just that frequency is affected, or you can spread it out to affect everything within say, two octaves of that point.

For a Crossover, it's similar. you can crossover the subs so they cut off steeply, which is common so they don't catch any midbass, then you can set the XO for your mids to roll off more gently so they do blend into the subs and you don't have any loss of frequency response between mids and subs.

Silver Member
Username: Hellbender

Los Angeles, California USA

Post Number: 158
AH HA! I think I got you Glass, wouldnt it be the other way around? If he had a LPF with a 12db slope set at 100 hz wouldnt it be 12db's quieter at 200hz then again at 400hz? :P muahaha

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 9112
yeah low pass would attenuate upward.
I think I posted that around 11am when I'd gotten out of bed.

I think I'm raedy to go back to bed already heh

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 615
hah.. ty guys i gots it now
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us