Taking out a system

Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 10
I posted on here a while back about my brother using and abusing my old system that consisted of a JL 500/1 and JL 10w6v2. I'm taking it to a JL dealer on Monday to get the final verdict, but I think the voice coil is probably just melted and shot. I guess now I'm going to go about taking the amp and sub out and selling them, I was just wondering about the wires that are already installed on the car. I assume I have to take all the wires from the battery to the amp out, because I don't want live wires running to nothing in the trunk. Is this right? Is there anything I need to worry about when unhooking the ground wires and power supply wires to the amp (ie what not to touch to kill myself).

And what about the cables running from the HU to the amp. Can I just leave them in, or is it better if I take them out.

Keep in mind I really don't want to take apart my car, but I would like to get some of the valuable cables out of there. I also just want to make sure that everything is safe, and the remaining SQ is unaffected.

I'll be selling all the stuff on eBay, but if anyone here is interested:

JL 500/1
JL 10w6v2 (broken, to what extent, unknown)
JL 10w6v2 ProWedge enclosure

The system ran great for about a year, until my brother took it over. Amp still works perfectly, box is in new condition.

Gold Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 1428
Assuming you would be installing a new system later, you could leave the wiring in, but I would suggest taking the fuse out near the battery of the power cable.

If you're removing it completely, disconnect the negative battery terminal and remove all the wires (it doesn't matter what order and whether or not you touch them), when finished replace the negative terminal and you're good to go.

Also, do you have a price in mind for any of those units? To what extent does the subwoofer function?

Bronze Member
Username: Iwrk4satan

Post Number: 11
Thanks for the quick response.

Looking in the $300 neighborhood for the 500/1, and probably like $60 for the ProWedge (not including shipping)

The sub doesn't fire at all as of right now, I can give a better description and maybe a price some time next week.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us