2 ohms or 4 ohms?

Bronze Member
Username: Headutter

Post Number: 51
I am buying 2 alpine Type R 12's. I have always thought that the higher the ohmage I run at the cooler the amp will run and draw less amperage. My amp will put out the same power at any ohmage between 1.5 - 4 ohms.
Is my theory correct?
If so I could buy 2 dual 4ohm speakers, run them in series parralel to get a 4 ohm load.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 904
the wattage varys with ohms man...the higher the ohms, the lower teh power

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Apparently not always. 99 out of 100 times your right, but the JL Slash series and the JBL Crown series put out the same power regardless of ohmage.
That's why I asked about the amp running cooler or not at higher ohmages.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3426
Yes amps run cooler at a higher ohm load, because they are drawing less current. What amp do you have?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
JL 1000/1.

Silver Member
Username: Xdrummer03

Tenessee

Post Number: 104
If your going to run them at a 4ohm load you need two dual 2ohm subs. You can only run two dual 4ohms at 2ohms and 8ohms.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3832
go to JL's website and go under tutorials look up woofer wiring and read about . this will help you with your amp question. http://www.bcae1.com/regunreg.htm

Bronze Member
Username: Cnc837

Norman, OK USA

Post Number: 38
You can also run 2 DVC 2 ohm subs at a 2 ohm draw from the amp when wired in parallel and series. Check it out: http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+2+ohms+x+2&image.x=9&image.y=9
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us