Amp choices

Bronze Member
Username: 350_blaze

Post Number: 22
Well my old orion hcca 2100 has decided not work as of many years beating the hell out of many subs. So, I've narrowed down some finalists here they are.zapco,autotek mean machine,sound stream.This amp needs to be 1000w to 1500w. I'm going two run two brahma 12's with it. And I want clean sound.Any advice?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1586
Zapco. no doubt.
fantastic amps.
and their higher end use a dedicated 15V phantom power supply for signal processors just like Orion's older DIN cable setups did, powering everything via the amplifier and proprietary cables.
balanced inputs and all.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
Well is the newer zapco stuff just as good as the older stuff. I've been seeing alot of older stuff on e-bay going for a descent price?

Did you get my e-mail glass?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1587
yeah the zapco amps are all well made. always have been.

was yours about the cherokee? I replied to the wrong address..
this was what I'd written:

the Focal utopias are terrific.
I'm a big fan of DynAudio also, but you're talking
about $800+ for a set of System 360 separates.
for subs, try a single 13W7 with a JL 1000/1 amp.
that should hit plenty hard and have fantastic SQ.
If that's not enough *cough* add the second one.
The 13W7 is getter than Phoenix Gold, although PG is
decent stuff, it's not on par with JL's top of the
line.

I'm using a grand cherokee myself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
Glass my e-mail was about my apology.Remeber a thread on here about, "any one into planet audio high end stuff".Well sorry for the remarks.I'm going to go with zapco amps. 1000w for the 2 12" brahma's. And, a zapco for the components. But, now I can't decide on componets. I want to go with 6.5's in the doors and a set of 1" tweets by the dash in the windsheild pillars. Here's what I came up with cdt,adire,diamond.This is the last step before I buy everything.I like the charger, I myself have a 71 442 convertable and I'm putting a 383 stroker in my 85 s-10 blazer.The system is going in the blazer.I just can't seem to get the speed racer out of my blood.Thanks for the help, I'm getting back into car audio slowly but shurely.The orion was the last amp I purchased so this is like learning to ride a bike all over again.Any opinions on the components. Would I need a amp for the sound stage if I got a alpine 9813?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1599
CDT has some great components. well worth considering.
Other options would be Focal Utopias, and DynAudio.
the 9813 will work for power, but if you want something loud, you'll want to consider getting an amplifier(s) matched to the power handling of the speakers you choose.. especially for the higher end stuff like the Utopias and Dyns

442s are nice, the body style just never appealed to me but I've seen some nice ones. the Charger was pretty popular with a 383 as well. good motors.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 27
Glass I meant a chevy 350 stroked out to 383 sorry about the confusion.This motor is built to the gills. 425 h.p. and about 380 to 400 tourqe.The cdt's seem like the best price. Are they really that good for the price? How do you think this is going to sound.

Alpine 9813 h.u.
1000w zapco pushing 2 12" brahma's in a in a box from powered4sound tuned at 27 hz.
cdt componets pushed by a zapco amp either 2 or 4 ch. Can't decide if I need rear fill.

What do you think?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1610
yeah I knew you meant a Chevy motor. I thought about dropping a 350 bored out to a 396 into a Fiero GT for a while.
You'll be happy with that motor.. being a small block you have less weight. I have a big block, but it's 425BHP @ 5000rpm, 490lbs-ft torque @ 4000rpm stock. on the other hand I have a curb weight of 3800lbs, too.

CDTs are excellent speakers. you'll be pleased with them.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 31
I've got a buddy with a feiro v8 swap done. Neck snapping fast. You got to do it! The words [the perfect sleeper] come to mind.The 442 is 3896 pounds with 400 h.p. what tanks these classic muscle cars where.Well just wanted to say thanks for all the advice.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 1621
sure thing.
yeah ya just feel safer in one of those beasts.. even without the safety features of todays cars, you're just wrapped in 4k pounds of steel.. haha
the great thing about a fiero GT with the V8 is you can stretch the frame about 11" and drop a Diablo body kit on it, re-do the interior, and blam, you have a Lamborghini with better specs than a real one, due to being about 800lbs lighter, with better braking, acceleration, and handling.. lol
I tell ya it's tempting.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us