Actual Port Measurements

Bronze Member
Username: Rovin

Post Number: 51
Using PVC ports :

when a certain freq requires a port to be say 3" x 5" long , is that 5" measurement taken from BEHIND the speaker baffle board (usually made using 3/4" MDF) ? thus actually the port should be cut 5 3/4" long ?

OR exactly 5" in lenght of port itself no matter how thick the front baffle board is & NOT bother about that ?

When manufacturers tell you to make a certain port lenght , Does that mean they already predetermine freq & they have already accounted for that 3/4" baffleboard ?

There will be a 3/4" lenght difference so definately freq will differ - SO WHICH IS THE PROPER METHOD ?

I have searched several sites but nobody is really that specific about it .....

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 550
it should always be the interior dimensions of the port so if they say this slot port is 15 x 2 and 20 inches long the port will stop at 20 inches and the port should measure 15 x 2 on the inside

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
Was asking about Circular PVC pipe ports NOT slot type but i gather if u said use internal measurements , that the principle would be the same .

ANYBODY ELSE GOT A OPINION ???????

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 349
The port is 5" long. It doesn't matter where you mount it as long as the port is 5" long. If it is directly attached behind the mdf, the mdf would add 3/4" to the port. The PVC would only need to be 4 1/4". I wouldn't suggest attaching it like that though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 53
Gold Memembers ?

Bump ...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us