Glass this one is for you or anyone else of knowledge box angle

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 407
It has bees said on here many times in the past that one side of the box should be angled to help cancel out standing waves. The ? I have is what is that angle or does it matter???? I've tried researching this but can't seem to find a answer to this. So You guys help would be greatly appreciated. Thank In Advance

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3711
From what I can recall, the degrees was 15.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8594
really any angle so the opposing sides aren't parallel

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 602
whoops....i messed up then...why can a box be like a regular 90 degree angle? how does this affect performance

Bronze Member
Username: Infinity_addict

Santa Rosa, California USA

Post Number: 31
here's the deal. you don't need to design an angle into a sub enclosure due to the fact that 100hz waves are something like 11 ft. long, and for standing waves to even show up, yer box needs to be atleast half the size of that wavelength (6 1/2 ft). I'm guessing yer box probably won't be that long. as you go down in frequencies, the wavelength gets longer. designing angles into boxes for speakers that produce midrange or high end frequencies will do you good.

the reason to design an angle into yer box would be to ensure that the waves reflected off the rear baffle don't bounce back and possibly interfere with the waves emnating from the back of the driver, possibly leading to unwanted cancellations and/or tonal exaggerations.

but don't worry about it for sub enclosures, as yer subs are only supposed to emphasize 100hz-20hz frequencies.

as for what degree angle, it doesn't really matter as long as opposing baffles aren't parallel.

I designed a 30 degree angle into my enclosure for the hell of it, but it was a shitload of math, good thing i took trig!

Silver Member
Username: Koz1031

Monticello, In United states

Post Number: 408
OK Thanks guys thats all I needed to know for now.

Silver Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 187
The lenght of the wave is measured from the back of the driver, then go to the opposite side and go out from the ports?? I dont get this point.....does anyone have a paint to describe it or a site? Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8603
another bonus is having a wider base than top of teh box makes it more stable in the car.. not as likely to tip over :-)

Silver Member
Username: Eclipse2005

Vicenza, Vicenza Italy

Post Number: 188
Did u see Im not using caps anymore? :-)
does anyone know a site where i can learn more about wave lenght, how to measure it, where's the start point etc etc?

Username: Mikeycogneto

Post Number: 4
hey mabey one of the few of u could kindly help me out.i cant find the dimensions{specs}for a single 15" kicker comp vr sealed or ported enclosure @kicker.com to build one. my friend was nice enough to give it to me so i'd like to actually make something of it myself to show my appreciation...thanksUpload
Upload
Upload
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us