ANy substitute for Dynamat? Anythign ic an make myself?

Bronze Member
Username: Tweek52

Post Number: 20
Just looking for an easy way to reduce rattling n stuff myself, anyone have good ideas of using household stuff to modify ur doors?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8521
ice shield/peel and seal from home depot.
it's dirt cheap compared to dynamat, and it's a thinner version of the same stuff.
it's used for ice shielding when roofing a house.
cheapest thing you'll find.

you can use expanding spray foam from wal-mart for areas you can't reach with matting, to reduce rattles.. but be careful with that stuf. test it and play with it to see how much it really expands before spraying it into hard to reach areas.
too much and it'll start breaking things looking for room to expand beyond the volume of area it has

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Connecticut US

Post Number: 229
ice shield is called wheather watch at homedepot, its basically tar

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8567
should come in a roll, aluminum on one side, adhesive on the other side. it's cheap, but it's thin so you may need more than one layer and the adhesives aren't as good for auto use as dynamat type materials.

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 536
glass .. i saw this rubber liquid stuff at home depot think it might be worth a shot?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8579
the paint-on coatings work great.. if you gut the car and coat the entire interior sheet metal of the cabin, roof, doors, trunk, firewall, etc.
I used a spray in liner for my own car but I had the whole interior stripped for paint at the time it was applied

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 538
yeh i might try it then... i have to do the friggin heater core AGAIN so i can get in there when thats being done..

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8595
ugh
good luck, guy
its worth it though. its one of those differences you notice right off

Silver Member
Username: Msully701

Connecticut US

Post Number: 232
so is there a spray that I can spray my interior metal to sound deaden it? whats some names and prices I was thinking of doing it I have lots of rattleing on the outside and it doesnt sound good to whoever I drive by

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8631
lizardskin
$185 per two gallon bucket of it and you should use a spray gun to apply it.

Bronze Member
Username: Fandim

Reno, Nevada United State...

Post Number: 63
I myself used eDead.. ($50 a gallon for paint on), as well as truck bed liner. Not done yet, and my car does look pretty ghetto atm, with nothing in it but a car seat.. (decided to change my carpet color, dash color, etc, all at the same time while I was at it, heh.)

Seth

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8756
be careful with truck bed liner not to use any that are asphault based.
those are the ones that smell.

lizardskin is good because it's lighter weight due to it's makeup, and it's designed as both an insulator and sound damper. it reduces engine heat and outside temperature transfer by up to 3 times if I recall. Anyway it is expensive, but it's the best stuff I've found for doing the entire inside of a car from trunk to firewall.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 65
how does the undercarriage stuff work? says for sound deadening, etc? Any drawbacks?

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8771
I wanted my undercarriage looking show quality so I sprayed the interior floorboards front to back, including the firewall.. and laid factory carpet over that. worked fine for me.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
GlassWolf, how did it work? And big question..did you remove the paint first? On the truck bed liner, it says you have to remove the paint first for it to be effective, and I have noticed that it does peel off very easily in places with paint...

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8782
the entire car was media blasted and chemical stripped to bare metal for body work and paint anyway.
yes it was bare metal.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us