12-inch Subwoofer Advice

Silver Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 138
Ok... I really did do my research... I've just run into alot of complications...

I need a 12" sub (only have room for one), prefer sq sub with as much spl as possible (I believe the term is sql sub???), >900w RMS handling, small sealed enclosure (1 cubit ft would be PERFECT)

I want a high-end subwoofer.

Here's the problem:
Brahma = not enough power handling
Atlas = not enough power handling
Avalanche = almost, but not enough power
RE xxx = not for sale right now
RE sx = adequate RMS, but enclosure specs much too big!
Digital Designs = all models require ported enclosures (way too big)
JL = yeah, not for THAT price
Image Dynamics = just returned a 10" IDMAX, and I'd prefer a sub w/ some more spl

So, I was wondering...
can someone please help me out here? I'm pulling my hair out trying to find the right sub for my unavoidable restrictions. I REALLY appreciate it.

And please don't get irritated... I know the question sounds dumb, but I swear to God - I've been trying to come up with my own answer (researching, reading, searching, asking on forums) for well over
1-2 weeks now! I just need a pro's help. What do ya say, guys??? Help? Please?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3663
Have you tried IDMax 12"? It is 1000w rms.
What is your price range? I've seen JL sub go for $400 with a ported box on eBay before.

Silver Member

Post Number: 140
No,I haven't tried the IDMAX 12"... I tried the 10". Is the sound that different? Spl much greater?
About the JL's... honestly, no. But hey, for the right price, anything goes!

Price range must stay < $350 - $400 ABSOLUTE MAX!

Thanks for responding.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3665
The difference between 10" and 12" is around 2.5db in sensitivity. Hardly a number to get excited over, but at high volume, it could make an impression.
Have you seen SoundSplinter RL-P12? It's not a bad sub for the price.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3676
how much power do you have, and what is the largest box you could fit?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4574
why not a Eclipse ti? i nice 12 would do, or a 12 inch w7 wink wink jk,

But what kind of power are you looking at at what ohm is my main concern

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
james1115:
I need a 12" sub (only have room for one), prefer sq sub with as much spl as possible (I believe the term is sql sub???), >900w RMS handling, small sealed enclosure (1 cubit ft would be PERFECT)
subfanatic:
I'm running my 900w mono amp at 1ohm. So, a 2 ohm dual voice coil would be in order.
Oh, and eclipse Ti: that one I haven't seen!!! so, I'll check that out later tonight! Thanks.

Also, regarding the splinter cell:
I checked it out already too! Why is the RMS so vague? I can't afford to phuk up another sub like before... 500-1200 doesn't exactly sound like 900 RMS! You know what I mean?

You guys, I'm going to work now. I'll be back within 10 hrs or so. See what you all can come up with. I know it's been a b!tch for me.
Thanks!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
AGAIN, THANKS EVERYONE! ALL INPUT WELCOME - GOLD, SILVER, BRONZE, NEWBEEZ, UNREGISTERED... SO LONG AS I CAN SEE SOME APPROPRIATE OPTIONS!!! YOU'RE ALL THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!MUCHISIMAS GRACIAS, MIS AMIGOS!!!

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 570
the rms on those soundsplinters is "500" but ive seen people give them much more than that...anyways that amp of your should put out around 500 watts rms at 2ohms so you could get a dual 4ohm version of that splinter if you wanted to

Bronze Member
Username: Maxil223

Post Number: 28
well, i dont know much about the sound quality, but a sealed box could help. Try a 10" or 12" MTX T9500. The rms rating is 500-1000, max is 2000. and Ive seen people give it alot more as well.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Ky

Post Number: 4575
sean, the avalanch can handle the power, but unfortunently, the eclipse tionly comes in dvc 4 ohms, so you cant wire it 2 1 ohm

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 332
the mtx's are made for ported boxes...they need air...if you want a sealed box...look elsewhere...i'd recommend the eclipse ti

Silver Member
Username: Riebread77

Post Number: 333
ahhh...didn't read sub's post...

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3693
yup the avalanche would be a great sub it requires 1.5 cu/ft ported and abou 1.0 sealed with 800 watts rms so if you can find one it would be perfect.

Bronze Member
Username: Supraspyder420

Sammamish, Wa U.S.

Post Number: 75
Wow im suprised you didnt like the IDMAX. The 12" would be a little better than the 10". If you go for more SPL then you will lose a little SQ (Most likely). Check out the Brahma. Adire also has a few others that may fit what your looking for, Throw them a e-mail (their very nice) and see what tehy recommend. Sorry im not a huge help!:-)

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 569
500-1200 means it depends on your enclosure. same w/brahmas. 1.5 ft sealed enclosure yields about an 800 watt requirement to effect xmax for the brahma. the smaller the box, the more power required. i'm giving each of my brahmas 1600 watts. power handling is not an issue.
the same with ALL of the other subs you mentioned. its best to overpower your sub so that you have head room. that way you don't have to crank your volume all the way up to sound good, full, and detailed.
regardless, with the subs you mentioned it's going to be a tough decision

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4310
I wouldn't look past the ID Max 12". If I remember correctly I think you were the one that had some form of issue with one, but trust me, problems with them are very rare, you just happened to be one of very few people that weren't lucky with one. Other than that, the Adire Tumult has basically taken the Brahmas old place and is a very good subwoofer.

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 555
ENOUGH WITH THE D@MN CAPS! Good god man.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 575
i know people have had issues w/the max v1 and v2, but the v3 have supposedly corrected any ill issues.
and the tumult's 700.00 price tag (msrp or not) can call in sick, lol. glad i got my MKII's just in time.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4314
Yeah, the v1s and v2s had some issues with the voice coil scraping b/c of the surround and the tight gap. Fixed that.

Bronze Member
Username: Donshiv

Post Number: 19
I have a brand new Audiobahn Flame Q 10". I just put it in an optional ported or sealed 1 cubic ft. air enclosure(havn't used it but put in the box and checked if it works). It's 900RMS and 1800Peak. If your interested email me Donshiv@verizon.net

Silver Member

Post Number: 143
Thanks for all responses, everyone!! 21 posts... hell yeah! thanks for helping!

So, the ti's have inproper voice coil setting, and you say that the Brahma and Avalanche can definately handle the power, huh? The splinter cells as well, huh? Ok, well, tell me something about the Digital Designs, if you can. On the website, I was really impressed with this companies assembly methods. I was wondering, can I use a sealed enclosure anyway with the DD 3500? (that's the only one I can afford)
About the IDMAX: good memory, dude. That's right... that was me who had a problem. So, you say I ought to try again with the 12? I guess the worse thing that could happen is I send it back again, right?
Although, I would like to finalize my decision process. Without all of you, this would be so hard. Thanks.
So, my current question is:
Poll among my advise givers - the avalanche, the splinter cell, the IDMAX 12, or the Brahma? What's the best for my cash?
Of course, new suggestions are extremely welcome too!

Silver Member

Post Number: 144
Oh, and thanks for the MTX advise, but they don't really turn me on at all ( although I know little of them - so I'll go check it out anyways... thanks for the suggestion).

Silver Member

Post Number: 145
John Doe:
Audiobahn's (if my current training has been understood properly) is not a high-end sub. Thanks anyways, though, bro. I'm sure yours will sound great. Good luck. I just prefer to buy a "highly recommended" sub instead. But really, thanks again.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 581
as jonathan said, the brahma has been eversoslightly downsized for adire's new fall lineup. still a great SQl sub nonetheless.
the splinter cell is so much less expensive than the others with comparable sql. plus you get great personal interactions with Mike b/c it's not a big business (yet). at least up until a couple of months ago, he was running it out his house.
id max is a great SQl sub. jonathan is pretty familiar with all of these subs and he seems to be sold on the id max. being that i would be equally extatic to find any one of these under my tree, i would take his word for it if money is no issue. if loot WERE an issue, i would approach the rl-p's

Silver Member

Post Number: 151
thanks, my friend, good advise.
Will take it!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us