Running a 4CH Amp in bridged 4ohm Stereo

Bronze Member
Username: Betard

Post Number: 14
I have an Infinity 7540a 4 Channel Amp, and I would like to run 2 X 12" Subs (soundstream). The amp is bridgeable to 4ohms.

I am having a problem with the set-up, my buddy has an MTX amp where he just runs RCAs to the front inputs of the amp and both his subs connected to the front and rear channels work.

Mine unfortunately doesnt seem to work that way. If I plug my RCAs into the front channel then only one sub works, and if I move the RCAs to the rear channel input then the other sub works.

Is there a set-up issue I am forgetting or is this just an obvious case of needing to RCAs to run my 2 subs this way?? My HeadUnit only has 3 RCA outs (front, rear, sub) so can I use a splitter and divide my "sub" RCA's to connect to the front and rear inputs of the amp? Is there any side effects to that or some way around this?

I dont have alot of expirience with alot of this, but it seems odd that I would have to run 2 RCAs to run my subs in 4ohm stereo.

I have included a pic from the "install" guide that shows what I am doing. I like how they mention "for simplicity" the do not show "power remote and input connections"... gee thanks for the simplicity Infinity....

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8486
use Y splitters for the RCA connectors at the amplifier.

yours needs all 4 inputs because you're bridging the front and rear channels on each side of the amp.
this uses the + and - voltage rails for each channel, so signal is needed to all 4 inputs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
and is there any pros or cons to doing this? I know nothing about voltage or miliamps or whatever... but will I then be splitting the power from my headunit?

My headunit is a Pioneer DEH-P8400

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 8501
it's a line level signal. you won't have any problems.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 16
Awesome! Thanks, been reading alot post here and it seems you really know your stuff, so I am glad you responded.

Thanks again!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us