DD Audio's Website

Bronze Member
Username: Rovin

Post Number: 44
Heard DD being mentioned in this forum so i decided to check out their website for the very 1st time .
The way they talk about their Subs R&D & manufacturing process gives an impression its the world's best subs they make & nothing else come close .
I know its a detailed sales pitch but are their subs really that great - better than let's say Rf ,Kicker comps ,MMATS ,Alpine ,JBL etc ???

Comments/opinions from experience owners ???

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 438
different class than rf, kicker, alpine, and jbl altogether.
build quality is obviously outstanding, as you mentioned. however, the sound of subs (which one sounds better) is going to vary based on who is listening.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 439
i believe zac davis and jonathan have extensive experience w/them.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 69
I got smacked for saying they look cheap(I think they do)
Folks say they play really loud, but do they have really good SQ?
Dont get me wrong, A lot of subs can look cheap and be really good! A lot of Hi-End home subs can look cheap but you can see it being in a cabnet. DD may be the best subs out but I think they look cheap! I would like to see one up close. I've had really good luck with Dayton Audio subs, But only with smart folks(the dum ones want some big brand name on there stuff because because they cant hear the differents anyway). The link to these subs is worth a look, there killer in SQ and SPL(they do need about 6 hours of brake in)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-404

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 441
i am very familiar w/the daytons benny, but have not heard them yet. i saw the t/s specs and have been waiting for someone to expound on their performance.
can you describe them a bit more. and do they compare to any other sub you have heard?

Silver Member
Username: Lowdose

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 134
I have the 3512's and only using 1 at the moment and I can tell what its an awesome sub gets loud and sounds good to. Build quality is top notch as mike said. As for being the best well that can be debated till the cows come home but people have their own taste. Lets just say they are one of the best. Oh and they can take a nice beating to. Soon as I can find an amp to drive the 2 I will give an update. I need something around 1.2k per sub. But sucks when strapped for cash. And I like quality amps so that makes it even worse heh.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 70
Well, For starters they very low cost! I'm not a tweaker and have not
tryed every brand. The folks that had me install them in there cars and homes have all been really happy, only three of these people are hard core(play it loud or dont play it types). Most of the installs were a single 12" with 500 watts RMS. Dont get me wrong!! I'm not saying these are the best, I'm saying from what I've seen/heard you cant get close to there performance for anywhere near there cost.
I tryed the first one out for fun(Titanic II) in my home system and they were so good, I've done 11 more over the pass 3 years.
Just try one, You'll only be out<$200. and it will be fun!

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 442
that's the thing, until i have a chance to install one in someone elses ride, i'll "have to" stick w/my brahmas.
i agree, for the price, they can't be beat unless you cop ascendant's xbl2's on sale.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 443
DD, why not strap one 1200 amp per sub? it will likely cost less than one 2400w amp, and be better for the subs.

Silver Member
Username: Cenus

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 295
im just wondering what motor does DD use for there subs?

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 154
What motor? They machine and charge them in house. DD is a true manufacturer, not just an assembler.

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 155
(sorry that sentance sounded funny, i have to correct it)

"DD is not only an assembler but they are a true manufacturer as well."

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 296
ohh, so is that why there subs cost so much?

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Maryland U.S.A.

Post Number: 1620
Hey DareDevil, what other subs have you used that you whould compare the DD3512 with ?

Silver Member

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 156
Dustin,
Yes, that is a major factor. Many subwoofer companies buy "off shore" parts for assembly in an attempt to curb cost.
Another reason for thier high retail is simply nothing more than thier knowledge of having top of the line product. This allows them to charge such outstanding prices.
This reminds me of a phone call at DD. I was complaining about price, basically trying to get a better margin for resale.
You see, they will Not budge on dealer cost, not a cent, regardless of the volume you sell/buy. She said once, "Your not obligated to buy DD, we do however offer what we feel is the best product. We've factored our build cost and came up with the absolute lowest price we can offer." In other words if you dont like the price then buy from someone else. Guess what, I can't find a subwoofer that outperforms DD, not to mention withstand the punishment thier capable of. So, yes, I still sell DD at my shop.

Most (all the smart ones) shop owners want to sell product with high profit margins. A healthy business needs to profit from thier product. DD dealers however?.....well lets say the margins arent nearly as high as Kicker, hifonics, ect. but more importantly you know as a retailer you offer one of the greatest products available to the market, and so I guess its somewhat honor and pride thats leads one to sell Digital Designs.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 298
cool thanx for the info. ohh since ur a shop owner do you any place where i can find shocker audio subs, i've looked all over the place and can't seem to find them!

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 446
hey, zac d. do you also sell cell phones or other goods besides car audio supplies and the ilk? it seems like it is a lost hobby/art, and it would be extremely difficult to maintain sales of integrity without selling other things as well. i'm asking because i intend to open shop and the installer w/whom i am recently affiliated sell only high end (audison, dls, fujitsu ten etc). but they also make most of their income off of car alarms and cell phones.
every typical shop i have dealt with in past have been shady, attempting to overcharge and put my big project on the side so they can install 15 head units/day.

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 137
Awesome Zac perfect response to this question. I agree totally to. Even though I havent had much experience with DD I can see why they are the way they are. They are just built like tanks period. As for having other subs to compare. Well I cant be honest for the fact that I dont have the right equipment at the time to make an honest judgement. I have had JL, MTX, Orion, Kicker,etc. and I can tell you that the DD at the level im playing it sounds better then any of them SQ wise. They are precise as hell on each and every note. But SPL wise well I cant really say cause I flat out dont have the power to drive them to the extreme. I had 3 JLW6's been a few years running of a PG MS2250 they got loud and sounded good those prolly the best that I can really compare it to but I went through them almost weekly dustcaps flying off surrounds coming off the basket they sounded good but they were not built worth a crap. I have also ran Orion XTR DVC's 12's the red ones ) off an Orion 2150SX. They got ugly too. I had Kicker Comps 15's I ran off dont laugh cause it was loud sh!t off a Rockford punch 150 the old school square amps. The last setup I had was in my S10 I ran Linear Power 3.2HV and 2.2HV prolly some of the best amps made period I dont care what anyone says. I could kick myself for selling those amps. I had 2 HX2's in a sealed box and it was ugly for that setup in that regular cab truck. Felt like someone was hitting you in the back with a hammer lol. Just some of my past experience with car audio. But I can tell you this DD its got room to blow all those away even 1 its that loud and clear. I was highly impressed to say the least. I wouldnt rave about them if it didnt. But I would love to try other stuff RE,Soundsplinter,Treo to name a few. If I only had the cash to supplement my hunger hehe.

Silver Member

Hicksville, Ohio Usa

Post Number: 301
hey zac how does shocker audio compare to DD, my friend has 2 sig's and those things are the loudest subs i've ever heared in my life.

Bronze Member
Username: Bigboat

Post Number: 35
anyone know about how much the dd 9500 series costs (for the 12")

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 146
prolly around 800 after shipping and stuff or so can email them or give them a call. http://www.ddaudio.com/dd/caraudio/orderInfo.asp

Bronze Member
Username: Bigboat

Post Number: 39
wow lol

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 147
I seen a couple on ebay for alot lower.

Silver Member

St. Louis, Mo

Post Number: 148
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5791217956&category=18804 %26%26 Thats only 1 I thought it was for the pair nm.

Silver Member
Username: Fordpwr

Los angeles, CA Usa

Post Number: 298
Hey Zac D.- I know a lot of people dislike this type of questions and I'm sorry for asking. I'm looking for another sub to keep me busy.Unfortunately, I could'nt get my hands on a 18" Avalanche, and now that I'm reading on this DD's I'm thinking of buying a single 15" or 18" (if they built 'em). However, I'm wondering , How do they compare to x.x.x. ?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us