Bit of a different iPod question?

Username: Oldval

Post Number: 1
Hey all,

Don`t know an awful lot about the iPod but I do know you can connect them to your car`s system - now what I wanted to know is can the iPod be connected straight to an amp without having to use an HU at all??

Sounds a bit silly I know, but my HU has just died after 9 years of loyal use, don`t want to buy another one, but I`m just about to by an iPod for work - so I was wondering if I could use it directly to the amp?

Cheers for any info

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 942
You could try. For that to work you'll simply need a cable that converts the headphone jack into RCA cable.

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 160
Its worth a shot, but you won't be getting a clean signal stronger than 1 volt, or so i hear. If you use the headphone jack, you're taking the signal thats been passed through the headphone amp and it isn't all that great. You could try a line driver if its terrible, that would still be cheaper than buying new HU.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 48
You could buy a $150. Line drive with an EQ, you'd than have all the output needed. There are sound cool ones out with X-Overs
aswell.

Username: Oldval

Post Number: 2
Sounds what I`m looking for - any brands/models of line drivers I should be checking out??
Cheers

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 56
Soundstream has a cool lookin one I've been thinking about trying.
It uses a couple of tube for the sound. Its called the Mtube8

http://www.soundstream.com/sub/products_processors.html

Silver Member
Username: Scubasteve

Annapolis, MD

Post Number: 175
Hmmmm, that looks pretty interesting, but it has a RMS voltage output of 10V. It doesn't say if its variable, check your amp on the highest level of input it can take. Some i've seen from AudioControl have fully variable output up to 13 V.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us