2 12 inch subs or 1 15???????? Whats better???????

Username: Ztevenz

Post Number: 2
ok this is my dilemma. i am purchasing my system and don't know what to go for.

my friend has power acoustiks, and i like them alot for a small price tag. i know many of you don't likre them, but i have made my decision.

i am trying to decide wether to go with 1 of the power acoustik mofo subs in a 15 inch or 2 12.
i can get 1 15 for 150, or 2 12 for 250.
so price isnt that big of an issue.
although to power the 2 12 i think i would need a much bigger amp. each 12 is 1200 watts rms, and the 15 is 1500 watts. i am trying to decide what to do. i am pretty sure 2 12 will be louder, but it seems like it would cost me double. and honestly all im interested in is being heard in the next town over.

i have heard that 15's give that farther traveling bass, so that is why i am considering them. i dont even think ill be able to turn the 2 12 subs up all the way anyways without going deaf.

ultimately my question is. to get the farthest traveling bass which should i do.

also what amps would you guys recommend to power either 1 12 or 2 15's?????????????
sorry i wrote so much, but thanks for your time

Bronze Member
Username: Kicker

Slave lake, Alberta Canada

Post Number: 38
i would say 15s cause 8s dont go any were 10s get to the out side a little 12s well you here them coming a block or two away 15s got to be beter one would think

Silver Member
Username: Tbolt

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 103
I say go with the 2 12s. More surface area than 1 15. So that makes 2 12 louder than 1 15.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
juelz he wants travel more then loud though?

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 104
Bass travel is another saying for loudness. If your subs are louder the bass travels farther.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 42
i had 4 tens hooked up with a 850.2 amp and 4 12 and the 12 goes way futher it is deeper wich travels futher thats why you dont see 8" to often in comps

Bronze Member

Post Number: 43
thats way you here the thump before the music

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 106
true, but he's talking about 2 12s and 1 15, not 1 12 and 1 15. Say if you had 8 tens and 4 12s the 10s will be louder. Both subs will hit just as low if they're in the right box

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 107
The reason you dont see 8s in comps is because, by the time you fit 4 8s in a box, one 18 will be just as loud.

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 616
thanx god sum1 agrees with me that mofos r good lol

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 304
Man, what's with this bass travel? I'm trying to help my friend deaden his car so you can't hear the bass outside as well. Why do you want people to hear you coming? Just more attention to you. Get a hair cut or something. Most people don't like it. If you want to get the same reaction, and still piss people off, run down the street naked. And the ticket is probably a lot cheaper than the subs.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
"although to power the 2 12 i think i would need a much bigger amp. each 12 is 1200 watts rms, and the 15 is 1500 watts. i am trying to decide what to do. i am pretty sure 2 12 will be louder, but it seems like it would cost me double. and honestly all im interested in is being heard in the next town over."

ban for the buck would be 15s right you would hear him coming thats for sure

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3079
Jake, your exactly right. Your system is gonna sound much much better if you deaden your car, and keep all the sound inside. It's gonna be LOUDER inside aswell, if your car is deadened properly. Honestly, other people don't wanna hear your music blaring from down the block, and even though I love bass, it does get annoying after a while.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 82
"have heard that 15's give that farther traveling bass"

That's false.

"i would say 15s cause 8s dont go any were 10s get to the out side a little 12s well you here them coming a block or two away 15s got to be beter one would think"

Obviously you haven't heard a loud 8" setup. Cone size has nothing to do with how a sub sounds.

"I say go with the 2 12s. More surface area than 1 15. So that makes 2 12 louder than 1 15."

No, not necessarily.

"true, but he's talking about 2 12s and 1 15, not 1 12 and 1 15. Say if you had 8 tens and 4 12s the 10s will be louder."

Again, not necessarily.

"Both subs will hit just as low if they're in the right box"

This is true.

Bronze Member
Username: Audioguy22

Post Number: 32
Two 10s or four 8s.
If your stuck on the two options you gave, than two 12s

Silver Member
Username: Jonez788

Post Number: 129
More Air Movement=louder bass.

15" =/= 24"

Silver Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 114
so what did we decide on 2 12's or 1 15?

Silver Member

Post Number: 115
and Dave u say this is all wrong then what do u think

Silver Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 335
Doug: you have to give us models of subs, or we can't help you! Every sub is different. If your choice is between 1 15" Audioburn and two 12" Eclipse, or vis-vera, then we can help you, but we can't just tell you what would be better, for quality of the sub goes into play here. Personally, I'd prefer two 12s, but that's me :D.

Silver Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 113
"and Dave u say this is all wrong then what do u think"

I think people do not take enough time to consider the factors in what makes a system loud and why there are no exact questions to these answers. You have to take in account space, vehicle acoustics, eletrical system in relation to power requirements, etc. For instance, 2 12's seem to meter best in a Jeep Cherokee like mine, even over 2 15's due to vehicle acoustics. That is not to say that 2 12's will necessarily be louder than 2 15's as it all depends on the products used, power, etc. You see, everything various in car audio. Nothing is set in stone.

Bronze Member
Username: Madhops

Los Angeles, CA USA

Post Number: 34
I'm not sure in which boring little cities you guys live at. Here in Los Angeles, aint nobody getting mad about your cam bumping loud as hell. Here, you'll get props and girls.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
the t2's or the p3's im not sure yet somethin rockford

Silver Member

Post Number: 142
and the p3's 12'' and 15'' run at both 1000 watts and theres really not that much differnce in price so would the 15's be better for rap

Silver Member

Collipark, GA

Post Number: 197
Because your in LA, well people don't give damn here in GA either.

Silver Member
Username: Dominirica012

Charlotte, North Carolina US

Post Number: 292
sh!t it aint about big cities..back in NY(which is the largest city in the US) you start bumpin your music and here comes the police ready to give u a ticket..but back in the day it was another story.......

Silver Member

Post Number: 146
ya like the inner city everyone has like 10's but outer city is got the big systems

Bronze Member
Username: Letto

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 80
And to agree with Jake and Joe, I just dampened my car and it sounds MUCH better. Also people, if you don't dampen, they're not going to hear your bass coming, they're going to hear the stupid rattling of your trunk which sounds frickin terrible. God I hate that. Always a bunch of ghetto kids blaring they're noisy a$$ trunks...

Anonymous

that's a sterotype. everyone who has a trunk that rattles because of there subwoofers is not "A bunch of GHETTO kids"

Silver Member
Username: Redskin

LondonEngland

Post Number: 171
"that's a sterotype. everyone who has a trunk that rattles because of there subwoofers is not "A bunch of GHETTO kids" "

Thats right. It's just a crap install.

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 84
Which is usually done by "ghetto kids" ;-). And I'm not stereotyping, they're the ones I see on a daily basis with sh!t stereo systems that makes their trunk rattle like a b!tch.

Anonymous

so what exactly do you mean by ghetto kids?

Bronze Member

Milwaukee, WI

Post Number: 85
Ridin in their oldsmobiles, hat cocked, huge pants, huge jersey... you know... ghetto looking. Sometimes its wanna-be ghetto kids from the burbs, sometimes its actually guys from the inner city... I'm from Milwaukee, so I see um all.

Silver Member

Post Number: 147
haha theyre real ghetto in Wisconsin lol.try chi town

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 797
HA i love how poeple forget that the actual environment outside the car plays the biggest role as of how far the bass travels. example- middle of nowhere no buildings trees absolutely nothing say a desert, the low frequency will have nothing to bounce off of and will just dissapate. dont think im wrong yet now theres more... You have say a small shopping plaza with buildings all around the bass will resonate off the walls and thus seem louder and further traveling.

Actual real life proof- your standing outside the movie theater say in line or in my case waiting to be picked up since i, only 14 and cant drive.
You hear a slammin system but no car in sight, the car finally comes around the corner and as it passes you dont hear that same boom as you did before it when it was further away. The reason is because when it was further away it bounced off of more stuff then when it was near you and depending on the situation it most likely will get louder again has it gets further away again.

(havent checked this over for mistakes so w/e)

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 798
But after you considered these factors I say you want to go big and bad with your sub then have it tuned not to high but not to low.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3102
Your right about the bass travel Mike. To add to it, the lower the frequency, the longer the sound wave, and the further it's gonna travl. If you really wanna be heard from a long ways away, your gonna want a system that can go low. A sub with a really low fs will work the best, such as the Ascendant Avalanche.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 799
Im trying to think of a way to put what im thinkin in words put its kind complex of the whole frequency/distance/how loud it would be
ratio

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 800
oh and surroundings would also have to fit in there somehow.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3107
A sound wave has a length, from the crest of one wave to the crest of the next wave, or from the lowest point of one, to the lowest point of another. The lower the frequency played, in hz, the longer the wave is. When sound waves travel through the air, they need to travel a certain distance depending on the wave length, before they are heard at the maximum level. When your standing close to a car, the sound wave hasn't fully developed and traveled the full distance, so it doesn't sound as loud as it really is. When you walk further away, the sound wave travels further, and reaches the maximum volume.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us