Glass

Silver Member
Username: Sploosh56

Ohio

Post Number: 716
Was reading some old threads and came accross this.

"My two Cerwin 12" in my IASCA car hit 151 in events on an Orion 280GX (160w x 2) and the same two subs are hitting 147.2dB in my Grand Cherokee on an Orion 2125SX now. (250w x 2) but I'm not into SPL competition at all. I much prefer sound quality, good imaging and soundstage, proper phase and so forth to the loud punks at stoplights. "

How did you manage to hit them kinds of number with them 2 12's? They arn't exactly made to shake paint off walls but wow. Also a distorted system will seem louder than a system that is clear with no distortion at the same dB level correct?

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7929
good enclosure design, positioning, and very efficient subs. while their xmax isn't that impressive, they are treated paper coned with foam surounds, so they don't have a lot of moving mass.. makes for a more efficient sub, which was the way you got high output before loads of power was affordable ten or fifteen years ago.
with the ar, it was a very small cabin as well so that helped a lot being a hatchback with limited air space.

Bronze Member
Username: Shackashacka

Post Number: 70
What kind of cerwin vega's were they? i have 2 12" V-max's running at like 350rms a piece
what should i be aiming to hit with these?

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 80
"What kind of cerwin vega's were they? i have 2 12" V-max's running at like 350rms a piece
what should i be aiming to hit with these?"

I'm not familiar with the subs, but it has a lot to do with the enclosure and vehicle. Remember Glass's setup was done in a small hatchback car. Also, his experience building proper ported enclosures helped a bunch.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3072
If he hit 151, then I'm guessing he had Strokers. Your not gonna come close to that with 2 V-max's.

Bronze Member
Username: Audiobass10

Cape Coral, FL United States

Post Number: 81
"If he hit 151, then I'm guessing he had Strokers. Your not gonna come close to that with 2 V-max's."

Actually, they weren't the strokers. I'm not sure what model, but i'm pretty sure tehy were not SPL subs. Also note that the score was on the AC mic which makes it a bit inflated. Still a nice score.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7975
LE12D's long before there was a stroker.
these were made back in 1989

Silver Member
Username: Zacdavis

Beloit, Wi

Post Number: 141
Hey Glass, now you've got me thinking about older equipment and.....remember a few years ago when we were speaking of vintage woofers when Savards subs came up in the discussion? The reason i'm asking is if you recall, Bill Savard himself showed up in our thread stating how he would be interested in building woofers again. Just curious if you or anyone has heard from him since.

Gold Member

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7992
sure haven't
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us