Do I need a new Alt?

Bronze Member
Username: Drpthemc

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 45
I was wondering do i need to change my alt... or should i stick with a cap?... i have a 2002 lexus es300... and im going to be installing a jl audio 1000/1 amp running 2 AVA 12s... if so then what kind of alt... i have no idea how to install a alternator... so im kinda =/ uneasy about it... but if i have to then uhhhh yea... =/... help plzzz

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 46
and also how long can you go without chaning your alt... if your head lights flicker?...

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 3503
On cheap cars, you can wing it for a while. On more expensive ones, I wouldn't try it. They tend to have more sensitive electronics.
For JL 1000/1 amp, you WILL need HO alternator. A cap won't help at all with that large of an amp.
For websites that sell HO alternator for your car, look for similar topic in this thread. There are some links.
You will also need to upgrade batttery to ground, alternator to battery and engine to chassis. Use at least 4 gauge wires.
It's a snap replacing the alternator. If you can't do it, then have a mechanic replace it. Don't let them overcharge you hundreds of dollars just cause it has the "HO" label. It should only cost as much as a standard alternator replacement.
The wire upgrades, you can do yourself. If not, those ba$tards will charge you probaby $200-$300 extra for something that costs $50.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 47
hey isaac... if i run the JL amp without replacing... and go easy on the gains will that help at all?...i really dont think i can change it for a while... i just bought new subs and amp lol... dizzam... how long do u think i can go for man... =/... and what are some bad signs ??? lol

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7899
gain needs to be set properly. it doesn't affect the amount of power you'll get from the amp, just balances the input voltage with the input stage of the amp.
the 1000/1 will draw over 100A of current alone at full output, so you'll want at least a 200A alternator if you plan to run the system very hard

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 48
hmmm i see... how will it run with just a stock alt??... and how long can i go with it? and what are the effects ? o.O

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Wisteria, Lane USA

Post Number: 7914
http://www.wickedcases.com/caraudio/charging.html

if your lights are dimming, you're causing damage to the alternator as well as the amplifiers and speakers.
no way to tell how long they'll last

Gold Member

Post Number: 3508
In most cars, you will have 15A - 20A the most to play with. They give you that in case people install extra fog/headlights in the car.
Like Glasswolf said, look for dimming light signs. If you see it, turn the volume down. Just don't ignore the signs.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 49
hmmm ok... so i need a new alt... what kind do i need isaac or glasswolf?... like how man AMP alt for my car... =/... remember i have a jl 1000/1 ... so yah....

and also if i run it with stock alt... is there any way avoiding dimming?...

Gold Member

Post Number: 3512
Look for 170A or greater. If you can get 200A to fit in your car, then go for it.
The only way you can avoid dimming lights with stock alternator is to keep the volume down. Way down.
JL 1000/1 is a power hungry unit.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 50
i see i see... where can i find a 200 A alt for my car... and a cheap one =/... any local shops?...

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 432
Glass, I read the link that you gave and I read the link that they refered at the bottom.

http://www.bcae1.com/charging.htm

At the part where is talks about lights dimming(about 2/3 the way down) it got me concerend. When you said that you can damage your subs and amp it got really scared. But in this paragraph it says that if your lights dim the whole time on a long note, it is a bad sign. But if it just dimms for a second on a long note it should be ok. In my car, my lights don't dim at all when I have a very long bass note. The only time they dim is when I have a really deep quick puchy bass note. Should I be concerned? Or would you say that it is just what that guy was talking about in that link, when he said it is just the regualtor acting slow becuase of the voltage drop? Please let me know cuz when you said I could be dmaging my amp and subs it got me really scared! Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 3513
Ray, read up on the posts in this section. There is quite a few topics on alternators. Some of them will contain links for you to look at. I got mine from 4alterstart.com. There are other alternatives.
I.W., even if you had HO alternator, lights will dim slightly with heavy bass. Instead of the voltage dropping from 14.2v to 12.5v, with HO, it'll go from 14.6v to 13.3v at low rpm. Of course at normal rpm, it'll stay around 14.4v consistantly.
If you don't have a HO alternator, I wouldn't push the system.

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 434
So are you saying that I should be ok then? I know I would be much better off if I had a HO alt(obviously). I am just wondering if this is ok, or am I damaging anything? By what that link said, I should be ok, because I don't dim on long bass at all, right? I just can't afford a HO alt right now.

Gold Member

Post Number: 3515
My advice for you to is to keep the volume down. As I stated numerous times before, car manufacturers will NOT give you much room to play with. The most you will get from a stock alternator is around 20A. They only did that so consumers can install extra fog/head lights without burning out the alternator.

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 51
hey isaac... ok im going to get a new alt... and i know there is more then just an alt i need to get... wire?... anything else?... and about the wires... how much (feet) should i get and what gauge?... it shouldnt cost much right?

thanks guys~

Bronze Member

Atlanta, GA USA

Post Number: 52
hmm once i get the alt... do i need to change anything on the amp?...and also do i need to upgrade my amp kit?... o.O just wondering lol

thanks~

Gold Member

Post Number: 3531
You need to upgrade the alternator wire (the one that connects alternator to the battery/fuse box) from your stock to 4 gauge. It is 1m long. The battery to ground (12"), engine to chassis (12"). They should cost $30 in total.
Depending on your fuse box, you might have to bypass it and get an external fuse for your HO alternator. Get the same size power rating. So if your HO is 180A, then get a 180A fuse.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us