Power connection question for dual amps

Marco P.
Unregistered guest
Would there be any problems with connecting a 4-gauge wire from the battery together with a seperate much shorter 8-gauge to my 900W sub amp with the 8-gauge leading to my 2nd 200W amp for interior speakers? Would this be stable or would it damage either of the amps? What about any noise problems? How about the same setup with ground? Thanks guys.

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 52
did you connect your 4 gauge from battery to a distribution block ? then OUT 2 8 gauge to both of the amp ??? If it's yes, you should be alright. But recommend a POWER CAPACITOR for your 900w sub amp.

Marco P.
Unregistered guest
No, what I meant was connecting those 2 wires together directly to my sub amp with the 1 8-gauge outputing to the 2nd amp, so no d-block. Is this bad then?

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 462
thats a bad idea. you are hooking them up in series which will drop the voltage. thats the point of a d block. it allows each component to have the same ~13 volts though amperage may differ depending on the amp. just buy the block and some extra power cables. you will save yourself some trouble.

Marco P.
Unregistered guest
Yea i figured, it didnt sound like a good idea, lol. I was tryin to take the cheap way out, so call me ghetto. Thanks a lot for the info. Peace.

Bronze Member
Username: Winn

Santa Ana, California US

Post Number: 55
Marco.. The best for your setup. Buy a D block and 1.2 farad or higher Power capacitor. Hookup your 4 gauge from battery to Power capacitor then 4 gauge to the D block. Then from D block to your 2 amps. So the power on both of your amps will be support by Capacitor.

Silver Member
Username: Touche6784

USA

Post Number: 465
im actually planning on doing that eventually when i have more money. dont worry marco better to ask first.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us