Sony Amp to a Single 12" Pioneer Sub, bridge?

TheFilmMakinG
Unregistered guest
I have a xm-sd22x Sony 1200W Amp and one 12" ts-w300R 600w subwoofer in a q-logic bandpass box. I was wondering if I should bridge the amp to this single 12 or would it be too much power?

Username: Msx

Post Number: 5
i would say that the rms of that sub is gona be around 200 (divid 600 by 3) and ur amp, bridged, at 4 ohms is 500watt rms. Which i would say is a bit too powerful.

If you ran the amp on one of the two channels it would put out 200watt rms at 4 ohms again. Which is round about matched to the speaker nominal power rating.

TBH if you wanted to bridge it it should be ok just dont have it cracked up to the loudest with all the bass boosts on full. If it starts to smell and get hot on low power (which it shouldnt) ild suggest running it on the one channel and getting a second sub to run on the 2nd channel.

The sub will still work fine on the non-bridged channel, as in experience the minimal power to go through a sub should be a third of its rms, and you will be matching the it.

TheFilmMakinG
Unregistered guest
I don't want to risk messing anything up, so I guess I'll just get another woofer in the longrun once I get some dough.

One more question, what exactly does grounding the amp do? I mean, it is basically connecting the amp to the vehicles chasis...what exactly does this do?

Also, I bought the Stinger SWKH4 Amp kit, but this does not come with RCA cables. Would it be fine if I just go to an electronics store and purchase a long RCA cable? Also, is the 150 Amp Fuse that it comes with safe for my car? A friend of mine (electrician) said it is too strong.

Bronze Member
Username: Karam

Post Number: 77
yer thats a bit too strong. look at the amp and see how many fuses you have there, then just put the same at the battery end.

rca cables yes you can do that, its fine. better i think, i find them cheaper, caraudioshops just rip you off too much.

Bronze Member
Username: Msx

Post Number: 11
All what he said i second.

Grounding the amp will make it work. If its not ground properly... well you will hear the difference.

What ive always done is loosened a screw attaching something to my chasis and put the ground wire under the screw and tightend it. If the metal was painted on i scratch it off a bit. As i said tho ul hear when the amp isnt grounded right.

TheFilmMakinG
Unregistered guest
Thanks again guys, but one more thing. Karamjit Singh, you say the fuse is a bit too strong, so what exactly should I do? I don't want to just throw this away, it came with the kit, and it is supposedly platinum plated (the best kit available, I ordered), so should I just get a new one? Or can I just use this?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 79
yes well, you would only need a fuse that big when you are using that much power, so if you are using a small amount of power and its get shorted or something, you will damage your stuff as it will blow with a smaler fuse. so with a bigger fuse ur equipment will still keep getting power and something will start to go wrong. i think keep it in the box, untill you buy some new stuff which requires bigger fuses.

TheFilmMakinG
Unregistered guest
What amp fuse should I get?

TheFilmMakinG
Unregistered guest
Can I just keep the 150A, since the amp will be in my trunk and the body of my altima is long, so the power cable will be running long?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 86
no, just think what a fuse is for a moment. it is to protect your equipment. so if you have an amp which has a fuse of 60amps the amp will draw a maximum of 60 amps and if it goes over it will blow to protect the amp.
so, look on your amp and see what the total fuses add up to ill use 60amps for example here. so if the amp fuse blows that means that it is taking more than 60amps so to protect it it would bloe the fuse. now just think if you put a 150amp fuse on the batt it would only blow if current went over 150amps. so you could cause a fire in the boot or anythink could hapen.
to normaly decide what size fuse you need. just add all the fuses up which are gogin to be connected to that cable you are runngin to the boot. and put maby 10amps more

TheFilmMakinG
Unregistered guest
On the back of the amp, there are two 40 amp signals. I am only connecting one. Does that mean I need a 50 amp fuse? Also, can I just use this 150 A fuse for about a week until I recieve a less powerful one, or is it too risky, even on the short term?

Sorry for so many questions, but it seems no matter how much research I do, I can't find clear answers.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 92
yer you can use it for the mean time. what do you mean that there are two 40 amp signals on the amp?? dop you mean there are two 40 amp fuses on the amp?? or wat?

Audioguy22
Unregistered guest
Bridge that puppy! Too much clean power is ok. The makers seem
to be closer to the truth with speaker ratings than amp ratings.
If they over rate an amp they sell more, if they over rate a speaker
they'll be replacing a lot of speakers on warranty for free.

Audioguy22
Unregistered guest
On the fuse thing, Use the 150 amp at your battery. This will stop
your car from catching fire if the wire is shorted in the future. Your
amp has a 60 amp fuse, this will save the amp.

TheFilmMakinG
Unregistered guest
The fuse rating is 40X2, so does that mean 80? I'll just use the 150A for now, but how soon should I replace it. I'll be bumping this baby for a while, so I don't want to blow anything up or anything to catch fire.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 93
Thats fine then. Just keep it to that and everythink will be fine.

TheFilmMakinG
Unregistered guest
Should I just get a 100A fuse for the long term and use the 150A for about a week, because I calculated the amp rating to be approximately 72.46 with the crutchfield formula (dividing total by 13.8)? Or should I get like, 80 or 90 (if 90 is available in ANL).

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 3006
Take the total fuse rating for your amp, then buy an ANL fuse that size. You don't want a fuse bigger than what you need. It only leaves more room for problems.

TheFilmMakinG
Unregistered guest
Thanks joe, I just ordered a 80A fuse because thats how much the fuse rating is on the amp.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us