What should I be looking for?

Username: Kyleleduc

Post Number: 4
When I am looking at subs online on different sites, what exactly should I be looking for when I am looking at them. Should I be looking at the wattage, and if so what exactly does the wattage mean, is it the higher the wattage the better the sub? The ohms, and what do those mean. I am just wondering what exactly to look at, and what some of these things are. I want to know if the subs that I am looking at are good ones, so i want to know exactly what to look for.
For example on this site, these are not the subs that I am looking at, but what would u look at on this sub, and is this a good or a bad sub and why?
http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/PL1290BL/detail.asp

Bronze Member
Username: Matt12490

Post Number: 63
Well the more wattage you have it is usually louder but you shouldnt be looking into those cheap subs like that. Ask around on this site and people will help you out on brands and subs.

Post Number: 5
What are the cheap brands of subs that I should be staying away from, and on the other hand what are the good brands that i should be looking in to? If you could, please tell me some good websites for subs, where they have good brands, good subs and are not very expensive. thanks.

Bronze Member
Username: Gino0809

Post Number: 57
digital designs.....its extremely expensive....ascendant audio..eclipse...adire..re

Post Number: 7
Are these the subs that i should be staying away from, or that i should be looking into?

Silver Member
Username: Iowahawks19

Post Number: 139
pyramid,legacy,pyle,sony,audiobahn(some),diamond,cuspid,max power, usually any sub brand new under 75$ isn't going to be good.

stay away from those^

Post Number: 8
digital designs, ascendant audio, eclipse, adire, re
^are these the brands that i should be looking into?? Also if you could, please tell me some good websites for subs, where they have good brands, good subs and are not very expensive. thanks

Bronze Member
Username: Gino0809

Post Number: 58
yeah...woofersetc.com...ebay...dd ive only seen on ebay and ddaudio.com

Post Number: 10
So all of these subs are really good subs. But these are all going to cost me an arm and a leg. I was wondering what kind of subs would have good sound quality, be a good reliable sub but will not cost me a whole bunch of money, if there are any subs like that.

Bronze Member
Username: Drew75

Carrollton, Ga

Post Number: 15
Rockford Fosgate P210S4 is a real good sub for bout 100$ a sub... Just got 2 12s and they are great

Silver Member
Username: 54danny54

Post Number: 511
diamond audio is good, a good sub for about 50 bux is the kicker comp...stayt away from there sqare sub line

Bronze Member

Post Number: 11
So both the Fosgates and the diamonds are good subs with good sound quality and the beat prety good? If they do I'll look into them.

Silver Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 178
Kyle,

Here are a few things to look for when considering any speaker:

What type of application will you be using the speaker for? If you are looking for a sub, then consider what type of music you will be listening to. Is it going to be rap? Rap has extreme volume levels of short low notes. Electronica/pop music has medium volume level of extended notes and they vary from 30 to 80 Hz. Rock and roll has soft to medium volume levels of short to extended notes in mostly upper bass (60-100 Hz).

Now that you have info on how different music is playedback, you can make your decision on what type of sub you want

For Rap I would recomend a sub that produces extreme volume levels and hits the low notes (below 35 Hz).

For electronica/pop I would recomend a middle of the road sub (meaning it doesnt have to be the loudest or to reproduce the lowest notes, and it doesnt have to be the best at sound quality).

For rock/jazz/country/classical, I would recomend a sub that reproduce high quality sound. This is because in these types of music the musicians use real instruments versus electronic synthesysers/beat boxes and or computer generated notes.

Now for the technical terms. Wattage is the maximum amount of electrical power that a given sub can handle. This doesnt mean that it will be loud. Its just all it can handle at max.

Decibels (dB) is the air pressure (kinda like an air compressor) that the sub will produce with the wattage applied. Some subs will have a higher decibel rating. This usually means that it is more efficient per given wattage, and thus louder than those with a lower decibel.

"Fs" is the frequency that the sub will resonate in in free air (not in a box). The lower the Fs (measured in Hz) the lower the notes it may reproduce. Note: a sub that goes down to below 35 Hz will sometimes be less as loud as the ones that get down to say 40 Hz. 5 Hz is a big deal at those low levels. Subs that go lower will sometimes be slower because they need to move alot of air to reproduce large wavelengths to play those low notes.

"Qts" is a measure that determines what type of box is suitable for the sub. It has been determined that subs with a Qts of 35 or lower are more efficient in vented(ported) boxes. For subs with a Qts above 40; it is more efficient in a sealed (closed) box. This does not mean that you may not use your sub in the box of your choice. It just means that they will be louder and more precise and produce better sound in the type listed above. Sometimes I use a woofer with a Qts of 45 in a vented box, because I like the way that woofer sounds compared to the competition, and I need it to behave in a certain way in order to be ballanced with the other speakers in my system.

"BL" is the amount of force that a sub has. A sub with a higher BL will hit harder than one with a lower BL. For an 8" sub 8-10 BL is a good level. For a 12" look for 12-15 BL.

Suspension is determined by stiffness. If your sub cone suspension moves stiff (inwards and outwards) it will hit harder than those with a looser suspension. The looser suspension will go lower though.

Ohms is the resistence that the wire in the voice coil puts on the electrical power it is given (kinda like an opposition). Ohms resistence is doubled in multiples of 2. So a sub with 4 ohms will oppose the electrical current coming from the amp half as much as say an 8 ohm sub. This does not mean that the 4 ohm sub is twice as loud as the 8 ohm for the same wattage. It just means that the amp has to work twice as hard to produce the same output as with the 4 ohm sub. Remember wattage is power, decibels (dB) is volume.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us