Wiring "Inverted" subs. Please Help!

Username: Afireinsiderx

Odessa, Texas

Post Number: 1
Hey, I'm fairly new to this, but I've got some fairly nice stuff I'm looking to setup. I bought some Rockford P3's and the box I have for them is too small...so...I was told by a Best Buy audio tech that mounting the speakers on the outside of the box, and changing the way I wire them, would make them sound great. I'd like to know if there's any truth to that. If there is, and I mount them on the outside of the box, how should I run the wires, becuase the positive, negative terminals expected the wires to be inside the box, with the speakers outside...how would I run these wires?? Thanks for ANY input.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 271
You have to run them backwards of what they would be inside the box. Instead of running the positive lead from the amp to the positive post of the subwoofer, you need to run it to the negative post. Same goes for the other post.

Username: Afireinsiderx

Odessa, Texas

Post Number: 3
Awesome, thanks man. Do you think this is going to still give me a good sound? Does the bass actually go back into the box, I'm not real sure how that works.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 280
Theoretically, it should be identical. The sound wave is equal but opposite on both side of the cone. The part that cause a difference is having the rest of the subwoofer on the outside, sometimes causing a whistling that would normally be inaudible inside the box. You generally get about a 1db loss from the decreased cone area.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us