Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through October 11, 2004Dexter100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

Silver Member
Username: Motoman22

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 102
Dexter,
If the rear speakers and the sub are powered by the amp and you disconnect the RCA's from the amp, you shouldn't hear anything from those speakers at all because there is no signal going to them (assuming the amp was properly installed.)

Did you ground the (-) wires to your speakers and/or sub?
Are the back speakers connected to the stereo AND the amp?
Does your stereo have RCA outputs? If not, to what did you connect the RCA cables?

Also, if you are running both the sub and the rear speakers off one amp how EXACTLY did you set that up?

capper
Unregistered guest
yeah about that speakers crackling when i press in the gas pedal...i went to that site dexter and it didnt help..unless ur saying to buy that noise detection? well anymore sugeestions..my prblm is the 3rd one up from this post...tell me if u know anything else that doesnt involve nuying something to tell me what the prblm is b/c i know what it is!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 106
capper, Dexter's link is exactly what you need to read. It describes all sorts of system noises, what causes them and how to remedy them. On top of that, I was able to find literally dozens of other posts on here where experts have taken the time to explain the problem and solution in detail. Try looking around, use the search tools on this site, the answers are here if you'll go find them.

Honestly, your question is impossible to answer with the amount of information you give. Noone knows if we are dealing with amplifier(s), signal processor(s), converters, lamp cord duck taped together with a big ball of bare wire shoved into RCA jacks... we know nothing and with no information we can give no suggestions.

IF (and I highly doubt this is the case) you cannot find another similar problem with the solution explained on this site just start a new thread with a clear subject (to help later visitors with the same question find the answer.) Explain your equipment, your installation, anything odd or unusual about it (we assume professional installation where that is not the issue) and the situation leading up to the problem. We'll try to help.

Cheers!

capper
Unregistered guest
fine..i have a 95 grand prix se and i took out the old factory speakers and put in 6x9's not 8x9's like i said (sry) in the back and two tweeters in the side doors. the back speaks r 3 way channel and the front r 2 ways.. i put them in and when im sitting still they sound like a beaut..but SOMETIMES when i press the gas it cracks and pops "n" stuff. and sometimes when i press the brake pedal too. but today when i came home from skool and goin and coming from werk it didnt at all...only in the mornings usually they seem to crack on the way to skool. so i did a troubleshooting thingy..i put the car in the garage to see if it had something to do with the cold and no it didnt. so now ive explained it all and i still dont know whats wrong with it..but we'll jst c what tommorow has instore for us.!?

capper
Unregistered guest
and by the way these arent amps er subs r anything, just plain speakers

capper
Unregistered guest
and by the way these arent amps er subs r anything, just plain speakers

capper
Unregistered guest
sry and also i took ur advise and did start a new thread so if u want to talk to me aboot this horrific prblm of mine and some others...its called "gas pedal down, the crackling begins!"

Username: Dex

Post Number: 3
To Michael Bates:

My stereo has RCA outputs and that's the only thing besides the turn-on wire, going from the stereo to the amp.
The amp has 4 channels and i used 2 for my two rear 6x9's and bridged the other 2 for the sub.
The rear speakers are connected only to the amp, and front ones are connected only to the stereo.

When i disconnect the RCAs i dont hear music just the amplified sounds (spinning CD in the stereo and others) that you can barely hear otherwise even if you put your ear next to the stereo.

I dont really know what you mean by:
Did you ground the (-) wires to your speakers and/or sub?
They go straight from the amp to the speakers (parallel connection)and that's all.

The amp's ground should be good as I scraped and scraped and scraped the paint around the place i screwed it and the wire is less than half a metre long.

Well I hope that gave you some ideas :-)
Dex.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 107
Dexter, here's my concern: After you've disconnected the RCA cables from the amp, the only thing connecting the stereo (source of odd sound) and the amp is the remote turn-on wire. So, other than magic, what could possibly transmit the spinning CD sound to the rear speakers or the sub?

99 times in 100, this sound is picked up through the RCA cables. On the same token, unplugging the RCA's from the amp makes the sound go away...unlike your situation.

Unless you've overlooked something, the most probable cause is a curse (on either you or your car.) Wash car with holy water, hang cross from rear view mirror and listen to gospel music until sound stops.

grumpy202
Unregistered guest
I have an optimus 400 watt amp powering 2 10 inch subs. when the car is running, the speakers have static. this doesnt happen when the car is running on battery power alone. everything is hooked up correctly, i have checked many times. anyone know how to fix it?

Post Number: 4
well there was nothing else to do but to go back and connect the speakers directly to the stereo.
I did that today and they are fine now.
The sub is still powered by the amp and the sounds are still there but it's not that much noticable since it's in the trunk.
Although the 6x9's don't put out nearly as much sound as they used to powered from the amp, the whole system can still be really loud when i need it :-)
I'll keep an eye out for some solution to this but until then this will do.
Thanks anyway.Help is appreciatted.

Post Number: 5
By the way I already keep a cross on a rear view mirror and the priest is comming to my house in the next couple of days so i will see with him about the washing and if he's got some gospel music i could borrow...

Unregistered guest
Hi, I'm rather peeved. I've installed a lot of speakers/amps into my vehicles over time, and never run across this. Here's the story:

First off, I have JVC 40x4 head unit (not sure of model offhand, it's about 4 years old). The fronts work fine (even now). I had the speakers hooked to a Koiilenger (sp?) 500x2 amp, with 2 12" subs in a bandpass box. Can't think of the brand of speakers offhand. What happened initially is I hit a pothole in the road.. My amp cut off. I thought it was the negative had come loose before (it has done that before). The negative was plugged in fine, and everything was tight. So I unhooked everything but the +,- and remotes. The protection light stayed on on the amp. Well, I got tired of that and decided to buy a new amp temporarily. I now have a Sony Xplod 500w 3/4 way. I hooked everything back up (using the high outs from the head units as one of the low outs is loose in teh back of the HU and will go in and out. Quite annoying). Everything hoked up properly, I turned on the system.. And nothing happened. Then I got a popping sound (about a pop a second). Checked all the wires again, from the back of the HU to the speaker. Nothing. I played with my speaker wires, and the music came through, but very low and was fading in and out. I don't really abuse my speakers (often). Is it just my speakers are shot now and need a whole new system, or is there another (silly) thing I"m missing? If you can, please reply via email

Anonymous

Brand new car.. Lexus GS300 2005.. sound used to work fine at all levels.. now it only works at low volume.. when turned up.. it starts skippingm, as in stops for a while comes in for a split second and then goes away. cd, tape , am, fm.. all have the same problem.

Has the New Mark Levinson System 10 speakers 240watt amp.. (factory)

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 109
Darn Toyotas...

Unregistered guest
I have a 2000 galant. in the car i have a kenwood excelon head unit kicker components, and kicker 6x9's. all running off a 600.1 kicker amp. i also have 2 12" solo's running off a 1200.1 amp. my question is that the interior speakers seem to fade in and out. like a bad signal on the radio. it also sounds like the volume is not any where as high as it use to be. i have adjusted to the fade and balance on the deck to see if it a speaker problem and it on full front plays front speakers and one rear one too. this occurs on all the modes: cd, radio, sirius. totally confused. i was just wondering if a head unit going bad can mess up the signals sent through the rcas and cause this problem. is their any way to see if the head unit is bad?

Username: Mikeminyi

Post Number: 1
Hi,
I just bought a new 96 Honda Civic car(2 door) for college. I am thinking about replacing the stock stereo/sound system. I have gained a lot of knowledge through this forum and I just bought an ECLIPSE CD3414 MP3/CD HU for $155 on ebay. I was wondering what should I do for the rest of the sound system. Like what kind of front speakers (5.25") should I get and also if I need an amp and sub, and what kind. I have a budget of $100-200 to spend, so I really want your help. I love quality music and I am not really into loudness.

Thank you so much for your time and response!!
Mike

Kristina
Unregistered guest
Hey,

I just installed a factory cassette stereo for a Honda Insight in my 1995 Honda Civic (I wanted a radio that won't get ripped off). It plays fine except that no sound comes out of the right-side speakers. I'm pretty sure I soldered the right polarity wires together (haven't double-checked yet) so I'm wondering if anyone has an idea about how to troubleshoot this. I also don't know for sure that the right speakers were working with the old stereo, but I think so.

Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 110
Kristina,
Remove one that is questinable and connect a known good speaker in it's place.

If it still doesn't work, check the wiring. Try connecting the known good speaker right at the radio, if it works there then the wire is either bad or the connection is bad somewhere. If not, the radio is defective.

Unregistered guest
hello,hope somebody can help me!!!!i have a problem with my spearkers ..only one speaker works and that is driver side front.I have tryed all different spearkers and everything but can only get front driver side to work??how come how do i make the other front one work and how can i make the 2 back ones work?? please help!!!
Thanks
Tanya

Bronze Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 47
Hey Tanya, if only one speaker is working then your problem could be the HU. You haven't turned the fader to front and balance to left by any chance? I know it's a dumb question but maybe someone accidently did that.
If everything is set properly, then check the speaker wires. It could be cut or shorting. If you have a noise maker/signal generator or a test meter, use it to isolate the problem. Test each speaker wire in your car. If all of them work fine, then you know the problem is coming from your head unit.
Do you by any chance have an external amp to power all your speakers?

taner
Unregistered guest
yes dont know much about all of this but it is a majestic booster with treble and bass ,thank u for your help..... im gonna start back on it tomorrow .i look at the balance and the fader from back to front everything is okay there.i will let u know what problems i will have....
thank u ---tanya

Username: Keenclifton

I recently installed a system with 2 Rockford amps, a 500M and a Punch100 with a Rockford RFX9300 HU and Boston Acoustic 6.4's and 2 XLC12 subs, all brand new in the box's, I've been saving it for a while. I have read hundreds of car sterio mags and installed a few systems. I followed all the rules for good sound, even using twisted pair cables, and 2 gauge power with proper grounding and fusing. I have fantastic sound when the truck is not running, and half the time when it is running, but the other half of the time while running I get at about 1/3 or so volume get a almost like bad reception sound with a deep speaker pounding thump in all four speakers in my BA6.4's whether on the radio or with a CD. It doesn't seem to be involved with the 500M and the 2 12's. I have went over all connections and grounds and all seem fine. It makes me think altinator in a way but I dont have a steady wine or anything like that. Please help with some kind of sugestion on fixing the problem. I love the way it sounds but when I want to rock the most while driving It really can suck!!!!!!!!!!

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 111
Clifton, sounds like it maybe a ground loop. If your power and signal cables are runnning back on opposite sides of the vehicle (as they should be) then I'd suggest running another ground between the head unit, any signal processors you may have, and the grounding block for the amps.

It's kinda a pain in the butt but when you're installing it's a good idea to use a digital meter and measure exact voltage at the head unit, at each amp, and at each other powered device. You'll usually find a .01 or so voltage difference and that *can* cause odd behavior in high powered systems. Run a 10-ga ground wire connecting all powered audio components and that just might fix your bug. Make darn sure that the amplifier ground is as perfect as possible, you don't want those amps to see the new 10-ga as the path of least resistance.

If you haven't already, put a heavy ground between the engine block and the chassis. The factory straps are pretty wimpy. Not a bad idea to put a heavier power cable between the alternator and the battery too. Your amps will tax the stock charging system for all it's worth, try to give your available power very easy paths back to the demanding equipment...life will be better.

tom r.
Unregistered guest
Why would I need an amplifier if I don't have room for bass speakers.

Unregistered guest
I just installed a new deck in my 84 merc, everything works fine except my rear left speaker doesnt work at all, but if i connect a ground wire to the negative terminal then it works but only about half as loud as the rear right speaker, ive tried connecting the ground to the positive , but then nothing works at all in the whole system, what could the problem be?

dlighthill
Unregistered guest
My wife has a stock '99 VW Jetta (she said that it's either a Monsoon, or Blaupunkt stereo). Anyway, just recently when you turn the key to start the vehicle the right rear speaker makes a loud pop sound. It sounds perfectly fine other than this (no hissing, crackling, etc). What could be going on here?
Thanks

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 112
dlighthill, that's a tough one. Does it do this if the radio is turned off when the car is started?

Try turning off the radio, then turning off the car. Then start the car again and listen. Did you hear the pop with the radio off when you started the car?

Then try turning on the radio after the car is running, does the pop happen then?

Basically, under what circumstances does it happen?

Unregistered guest
I have 2 240 watt PIONEER 6x9's and i have 2 PREMIER 2000 watt Subs, and when i hook my speakers up to my 300 watt amp they play fine, but when i hook both my subs up to their individual 760 watt amps, the 6x9's cut out and play when they feel like it. I have all the wire's hooked up RIGHT...but somethings wrong and i dont know what it is? HELP!

Unregistered guest
I have 2 240 watt PIONEER 6x9's and i have 2 PREMIER 2000 watt Subs, and when i hook my speakers up to my 300 watt amp they play fine, but when i hook both my subs up to their individual 760 watt amps, the 6x9's cut out and play when they feel like it. I have all the wire's hooked up RIGHT...but somethings wrong and i dont know what it is? HELP!

Silver Member

Post Number: 749
Hey bigbigtrouble, just how many amps do you have in your car? I'm guesssing at least 3?
Maybe you don't have enough juice for all of them. Do you have proper power wiring? What about your alternator?
When the 6x9 speakers cut out, is the amp light still on? Is the gain control set properly?

BigBigTrouble
Unregistered guest
Issac I Have 3 Amps, 1 300 Watt, 2 760's. I have the proper wiring kits, and my alternator is fine. And Yes the power light to the amp is still on. I just found out that 6x9's and sub's run on the same fequency and that can cause distortion or (cut out) so i'm tryin to see if that is true by just hookin up my speakers, and then my subs, and then try both at the same time and see if i still have the same problem. Any other suggestions i'd be grateful

Unregistered guest
hey i have 3, 10 inch speakers all in one box and the far right one is loose i think, it sounds like its not bolted in all the way and whenever i turn the volume up it just gets worse... i just got them put in the box and i cant figure out what the problem is, they havent been abused because they are not in my car yet and ive tried them without the amp and i get the same stuff, any suggestions?

Unregistered guest
hey i have 3, 10 inch speakers all in one box and the far right one is loose i think, it sounds like its not bolted in all the way and whenever i turn the volume up it just gets worse... i just got them put in the box and i cant figure out what the problem is, they havent been abused because they are not in my car yet and ive tried them without the amp and i get the same stuff, any suggestions?

JohnF
Unregistered guest
I fitted an amp and some speakers to my car, they were fitted by professionals. But one of the speakers at the back makes a crackling noise when i'm driving with the stereo on. The connections at the speaker and the amp seems fine. There is no visible tears on the speaker. The amp is a higher wattage than the speaker so it is never pushed to hard. Does anyone know what the problem is? Thanks for your help.

Silver Member

Post Number: 834
Hey Bigbigtrouble, I'd try using just the 300W amp first. Then if that's okay, add one of the 760W amp. Play for a while and see if it shuts down. If not, then add the other 760W amp to the mix. If the problem starts, you don't have enough juice or you're getting pretty close to blowing the fuse. Sometimes then a fuse is reaching it's limit, it will almost cause the amp to cut in and out (same thing can happen if your gain's not set right).

Hey JohnF, when your speaker is making crackling sound, where is the volume control set at? Is it close to the speaker's max power? If you turn your balance to left, does the crackling stop on the right stop? Try turning the balance to the right too.
It could be that the speaker is defective or you're exceeding the max power on the right speaker. It can happen if the music on the right channel is higher than the left.

John F
Unregistered guest
Hey Isaac it happens at any volume and the balance is centred. When I put it to the left the crackling stops on the right.

JohnF
Unregistered guest
And also it only happens when i'm driving my car.

Silver Member

Post Number: 844
Ok then, is your rear speakers amp powered or is it connected to HU? If it's amp powered, try reversing the amp's input rca cables. That is left to right and right to left. See if the crackling moves to the left speaker.
If however, your rears are connected to HU's amp, then you might have right speaker wire exposed or something. Maybe it's touching the car's chassis and shorting slightly?

JohnF
Unregistered guest
(Isaac). Thanks for the advice mate. I'll have a look. I no sod all about this stuff though. If I have no luck i'll take it to the guys who fitted it. You've pointed me in the right direction though. Cheers.

Unregistered guest
ok so im a girl who doesnt know much so please bare with me, so in july i got a pioneer cd player... along with cheap subs... then for xmas i got a amp... my dad had a friend hook the amp up and everything was perfect... then the same day i was heading down a brick road and my treb. started cracking out (static) and then i completely lost my treb. all i had was bass... then it would come and go... then when I would stop at a stop sign or light the treb. would go but i would have bass. finally i was at a red light i had no treb. then when i began to go again. it came back static... then my cd player compeltely shut up... not power, nothing... my dad had the guy come and did something with fuses, maybe a new one? and now my power is back... and my bass is back (in my sub) but my 4 factory speakers have NOTHING... i dunno what to do... HELPPPPPPPPPPP

Silver Member

Dallas, Texas USA

Post Number: 113
Tricia, I'm willing to bet that he didn't insulate (tape) where he connected the wires together and it's shorting out behind the radio. This can cause every issue you described, especially on bumpy (brick) roads.

Either that or you have a bad head unit. Of course, the short could have caused the head unit to go bad at this point. I'd take it to a good stereo shop and pay them to fix it right. Shouldn't cost more than about $50 unless something needs to be replaced.

I wouldn't even TRY to use it until you get it fixed....

Silver Member

Post Number: 935
Tricia, I think your dad's friend's skill is somewhere between amature and semi experienced. From what you're describing, he either wired it wrong or some of the wires are shorting out. If he did it for free, then you can't blame him but if your dad paid him, ask him politely to fix it properly. For an experienced installer or anyone with some experience, it's not that hard. Almost like riding a bicycle.
If you're going to an audio shop to have it fixed, just take out the wires, and have them install a fresh one. It's cheaper to do that than have those money sucking leaches to find the problem.. :-)
Most wiring installs range from $40 - $80. To fix your father's friend's problem, ,they might charge you 3 - 4 hours of labour @$50/hr. So you can see which is a cheaper solution.
Anyhow, don't worry too much, I am pretty sure (99%) it's the wiring problem.

Unregistered guest
Hey guys,
I just put a new headset (VDO) in my car and hooked it up to the factory speakers, now the car is like 16 years old and the speakers where only 20watts and the output of the headset is 4x50, so when they cracked and spluttered I wasn't surprised, what has just surprised me is that I have put in a new set of 5inch 3way 180watt JVC speakers and they do the same thing, fine when the volume is low, but as soon as I turn up the volume, they distort. Do u think it's the wires? It is still the original wiring. The bloke in the shop showed me them on the sound board with an amp and they didn't distort at maximum level, so I'm lost, can anyone shed some light on what i can do?

Unregistered guest
Hey guys,
I just put a new headset (VDO) in my car and hooked it up to the factory speakers, now the car is like 16 years old and the speakers where only 20watts and the output of the headset is 4x50, so when they cracked and spluttered I wasn't surprised, what has just surprised me is that I have put in a new set of 5inch 3way 180watt JVC speakers and they do the same thing, fine when the volume is low, but as soon as I turn up the volume, they distort. Do u think it's the wires? It is still the original wiring. The bloke in the shop showed me them on the sound board with an amp and they didn't distort at maximum level, so I'm lost, can anyone shed some light on what can i do?

Unregistered guest
hey guys,
don't ask me why it posted two of the same questions for me it just did... well i have worked one thing out its not the wiring in the car, i ran brand new wire to a speaker to test it and the same thing happen. it is really bugging me cause me headset goes to 100, and i cant get past 44 with out it distorting. any healp would be great

Username: Xrayjoemd

Just installed Panasonic CQ-9800U head unit (60 watts/channel RMS) with Kenwood excelon components, Pioneer 760W amp pushing two JL Audio 12's. System sounds great until you turn up the volume past 25 (40 max). Then the speakers (except the subs) cut out completely. Wondering if stock speaker wires are too small for this head unit?

THanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1020
Hey Pilch, try putting a higher powered speaker to it. If you don't have one, attach the sub to it and turn up the volume. See if anything distorts. It could just be your HU.
One way to know for sure is to power your JVC with a 2 channel amp. Take the rca from your HU and run it through the amp. Now turn up the volume till you get past 44. If it doesn't distort, then your HU's power amp has a problem. If it still does, your whole HU's got a problem.

Joe, try disconnecting the sub amp. Turn it off and try just the HU. Normally, if a system shuts off, it's either not getting enough power or your speaker ohm is too low and triggering the amp's protection mode.

Unregistered guest
hello every one
i am having a huge problem well i just bought a brand new 2005 car and i installed a new cd player in it and for some reason now when i press the gas my speakers make a whining noise ? does andy one know what is wrong ?

Unregistered guest
hi everyone

a few days ago i bought an 89 toyota camry. The sound from the speakers has been fine but as i was driving, the sound from the right speakers suddenly became much quieter but with lots of static. the left speakers are still fine. i swapped my front speakers and found that the problem occurs with any speaker on the right side. does anybofy know what is wrong? any help would be appreciated.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1146
Henry, if you hear a whining noise whenever you step on the gas, then you have a bad ground/rca cable/speaker wires are too close to the power wires. I'd check your ground first. Make sure it has a solid contact with the car chassis.

ColtDriver, it could be that your HU on camry is dying. After all you said it was 1989? That's pretty old. If your HU had rca preouts, then you could put in an external amp and power the speakers. But it'll be better to have a decent HU to start.

Smiles
Unregistered guest
hey I have a problem when I turn my speakers uo loud they start to get distorted. I have a alpine mrv340 that was power my front components, alpine typr R's 6.5, but the left one was making a crackling noise evey now ad then not constant so i switched them out and now i have in boston acoustic Pro60's. i havent changed the gain or frequency from the settings for the type R's and was wondering if thet might do it. Crackling seem to be gone for now. Thanks for helping

Smiles
Unregistered guest
hey I have a problem when I turn my speakers up loud they start to get distorted. I have an alpine mrv340 that was power my front components, alpine type R's 6.5, but the left one was making a crackling noise every now and then, not constant, so i switched them out and now i have in boston acoustic Pro60's. I havent changed the gain or frequency from the settings for the type R's and was wondering if that might do it. Crackling seem to be gone for now. Thanks for helping

Anonymous

I just installed a new cd player in my car and hooked it to a boss eq amp. Now when the amp is off the system sounds fine but when i turn the volume up it cuts off. When I have the amp on and turn the volume up it doesn't cut off but makes a static noise.

Silver Member
Username: Marley289

Post Number: 103
maybe theres not enough power supply to the amp. the amp may draw too much power, more power than the battery can supply

Unregistered guest
I just installed Sony XS-F692N speakers and a Mutant NW280SP Amplifier.

Basically i got them all wired up right. When i turn the radio on they are fine for roughly 20 seconds and then crackle and almost die out completely. Can anyone help?

Unregistered guest
i just bought a sony explod model F5500 head unit and whenever i play burnt cds in it it makes this crackling, fuzzy, skipping sound. some of my songs dont even play but when i play it in other head units it works fine. i brought it back to the store where i got it installed and they put in a brand new head unit of the same model in. it still gives me the same problem. sometimes it works fine and doesnt give me any trouble. other days ill put in the same exact cd and half of my songs wont even play, or theyll skip and flicker. its really annoying and ive tried everything to fix it. ive converted my mp3 music files to wave files because someone said my head unit might not read mp3..which is stupid because thats the basic file format these days. ive cleaned out my head unit and my cd burner with a cd cleaner ive switched brands for blank cds...ive done everything! pleaseee someone help me regular purchased cds work fine..its only with burnt cds

Gold Member

Post Number: 1626
Hey Melissa, are you saying store bought cds work fine? Just only your home made cds?
What bit rate are you using to record mp3 files? Standard is 128.
Try this for a change, take your burnt cd to the store and play it there. See if it skips. It could just be the Sony brand having problem. They are one brand you should stay away from. Most females seem to purchase Sony for their cosmetic design/colors. Sony's been known to be sneaky, like put in a copy protection circuit without telling anyone. Come to think of it, they're the ones sueing everyone!
If you can dump Sony and look at Alpine/Pioneer/JVC etc for HU.

Unregistered guest
hi isaac. can you tell me how i cant find what bit rate i am using? i dont know much about these things haha. yeh, i played my cds on my computer and on stereos at circuit city and they work fine. i cant return my head unit because 30 days has passed. do you think if i call the company theyll give me a refund? and yeh, normal bought cds work fine. its my burnt ones i am having trouble with. i dont record mp3 files anymore. ive been converting them to wave files. should i have not done that?
thanks

Unregistered guest
hi isaac. can you tell me how i can find what bit rate i am using? i dont know much about these things haha. yeh, i played my cds on my computer and on stereos at circuit city and they work fine. i cant return my head unit because 30 days has passed. do you think if i call the company theyll give me a refund? and yeh, normal bought cds work fine. its my burnt ones i am having trouble with. i dont record mp3 files anymore. ive been converting them to wave files. should i have not done that?
thanks

Unregistered guest
hi isaac. can you tell me how i can find what bit rate i am using? i dont know much about these things haha. yeh, i played my cds on my computer and on stereos at circuit city and they work fine. i cant return my head unit because 30 days has passed. do you think if i call the company theyll give me a refund? and yeh, normal bought cds work fine. its my burnt ones i am having trouble with. i dont record mp3 files anymore. ive been converting them to wave files. should i have not done that?
thanks

Gold Member

Post Number: 1661
Hey Melissa, when you record cd to mp3, usually under "options" there is a section where you can select the bit rate. Default is 128, but you can set it higher for better sound quality.
Just curious, when you burned the mp3 cd, did you finalize it? That basically closes off the cd so that you can no longer record. Some CD players have problem with cd that's not finalized. Also, did you use the wizard to create the mp3 cd? You should try creating a "data" cd and fill it with mp3 songs. That might do the trick. Are you by any chance using CD RW or just CD? Some decks have problem with RW cds.
You can return anything to a store as long as you stay calm and explain carefully to the manager or higher. I've done it before. In your case, since you had some sort of problem before your 30 day limit, I am sure you'll be able to work something out.
I must say though, when it comes to electronics, females seem to get screwed a lot.

melissa lukz
Unregistered guest
issac:
haha yeh tell me about it well i went to the store today nd i bought a new head unit...alpine it is lol...i told the manager about what you said about the copy protection circuit and he said it was all an "urban legend" he also tried claiming that my cds were scratched. he tried giving me a lot of excuses but i knew better then that. what i will do though is burn using data rather then music cd. this way i can fit more songs on the cd at the same time. can i still do that if i am using a cd r disk?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1669
Glad you stood up to those guys. Maybe they'll treat females with some respect nesxt time, I doubt it though.
Yes Melissa, you can do that with CD R. That is what I did with my songs. I think you can squeeze almost 200 songs per cd, depending on the length. I have a 12 cd changer, so I was able to fit my whole library.
In the future, I hope you won't be buying Sony, cause they target females with flashy colors and lights. I admit it looks good, but as you can see, they have lot of problems when it comes to quality.

Anonymous

none of the speakers in my 93 corolla works but the radio comes on all of the wiring is correct so what is the problem could it be a blown fuse

mibking
Unregistered guest
Ok problem here might be IC chip Im running a panasonic cq-c9800u And it has been installed for about 6 months. Nothing has changed nad today i suddenly lost all poert to the speakers tried double checking grounds disconnecting speakers trying one speaker at a time... i have yet to figure out the problem... The digital out still works for my 4 subwoofers off from one ma audio 1000w rms... that still works ffine just no power coming from the deck to the main speakers.... when it first happened i could hear a slight clicking noise but now nothing..... any ideas?

mibking
Unregistered guest
Ok problem here might be IC chip Im running a panasonic cq-c9800u And it has been installed for about 6 months. Nothing has changed nad today i suddenly lost all poert to the speakers tried double checking grounds disconnecting speakers trying one speaker at a time... i have yet to figure out the problem... The digital out still works for my 4 subwoofers off from one ma audio 1000w rms... that still works ffine just no power coming from the deck to the main speakers.... when it first happened i could hear a slight clicking noise but now nothing..... any ideas?

Unregistered guest
I am having trouble with my speakers. I read through these posts and didn't find an answer, so I decided to post.

I have had this car for about a year, haven't changed the speakers or anything. But when I play the CD or even the radio, the sound skips--similar to when you are playing a scratched CD. It also makes a popping noise. It is so bad, it sounds like I am playing a CD that is severely scratched. I can't even listen to a CD or the radio anymore.

What's the problem? Should I just take it into a car audio place for them to look at?

Please email me if you think you know what may be wrong. Thanks!

Gold Member

Post Number: 2009
Jennifer sounds like your HU is dying. Since you said the radio "skips" like a scratched CD, maybe it is time for a new HU? Just how old is the car/radio? They do have a shelf life.
A new HU might come with a free install. So let's say it's around $130. If you took it to a car audio shop, I am sure they will rip you off. $45/hr x 2 to look at your problem is $90. And that doesn't even include parts. So unless your cd/radio is a very expensive unit, don't waste too much time.
I could tell you what to check for, but would it be worth your time?

JenniferJenee
Unregistered guest
Isaac,

I don't know much about stereo systems. What is an HU? Yes, I am sure an audio shop would charge an arm and a leg, that's why I haven't taken it in... lol. I listen to the radio non-stop and the radio not working is driving me crazy.

Anyways, if you could tell me what I am checking for I could get a male friend (maybe) to help me out.

The car is a 94 Chrysler Concorde, and I can tell it has the factory radio in it, but I don't know what the previous owner has done with the stereo (i.e. he may have had different speakers and a better stereo before he sold it).

Unregistered guest
hey, I have some crackling problems that have been around in my rear dash speakers. I just replaced the stock ones but it didnt help the noise... They crackle even if they are turned all the way down without being off. Sometimes they're perfect, most of the time they're crackly as if it weren't picking up the radio signals well, but it does it even with the tape deck. Sometimes locking my electric doors makes them stop crackling, start crackling, or make them worse for a short period of time. I have ideas of what it could be but till I can test the theories, I thought I'd try and find a more precise way of fixing them, I'll be thankful for any help.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2010
Jennifer, most people "uninstall" their good/current HU (headunits) and install old stock one before selling the car.
Most likely, the guy did a shabby job with wires.
You will have to open up the dashboard and pull out the HU. Inspect all wires on HU. You could have a wire that's loose/dangling or shorting out from lack of insulation. I would double check the power wires and ground on HU.
Just so you can get an idea how bad stock HUs are, most of them cost around $30 or less to car manufacturers. The stock speakers are $5. See how cheap the products are? This is why it's not a good idea to hire a prof. Their one hour of labour will cost more than the unit itself.
If you are extremely satisfied with your stock HU, then have your male sweat it out looking for loose wires and such.

Robby W, check for loose speaker wires and ground cable. How old is your HU? Do you have external amp powering the speakers? Do the same thing as I adviced Jennifer. If all your wires and power cables are okay, then it could just be your HU dying. The HU's built in amps aren't the most durable nor high quality. They do die, especially the stock ones.
If you had an external amp, you could hook it up and bypass the HU's internal amp and see if that fixes the crackling noise.
Lot of the times, it's attributed to loose wires.

Unregistered guest
Thank you for your help, I believe it is the HU, because it is the stock HU that came with the 1993 Subaru Legacy. I do not have an external Amp, and the wires and cables seem to be fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the built in amps are dying because of the way the other electronics in the car effect it at times. Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it.

Unregistered guest
Hi I just bought a pair of 6 1/2" Pine speakers 200watts for the rear. When I first hooked them up everything was fine, a couple of days later the right speaker went out and then came back on and I hear static. Now the left side does it now I keep going in the trunk and unplug them and back again everythings okay. But when I start driving the speakers go out again and I hear the static when they come back on. There were 120 watts pioneer speakers in there before I bought the Pine speakers and at first everything was fine I had no problems for months and then one day one speaker went and a couple of months later the other went. I thought I blew them out out thats why I got the new ones. Anyway could someone please help me with this.

Thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a complet pionner system with 2 amplifier and all the engine sound gets inside the speakers it make amoing noise I have spperated the Power cabel from the rest what should I do. I have tried every thing I reconect the wiers and did a new ground connection

gigi72
Unregistered guest
David,
That problem could be your RCA wire is going or has gone bad. Happened to me!!!!

Unregistered guest
should I change all my RCA Wires because I also have RCA cabules connected to a cross over. And were could I get cheep GOOD RCA wires

Gigi72
Unregistered guest
I have 2 12's and when my RCA went bad all of a sudden i could hear engine noise. They changed the whole harness. They are not too expensive. try any local audio store...circuit city..radio shack, etc.

66mustang dude
Unregistered guest
i recently just put a ken harrison KHE 200 into my 1966 mustang. i also put 120 watt pioneer kickpanel speakers in as well. when the radio is on (even when the engine is not) i get a bad crackling sound and the bass is not very good. they just sound bad. i know its not the speakers because i tried them on a home stero system and they sound great. the manual says to maybe put a LC filter on it but it still happens when the engine is not running. any suggestions?????

66mustang dude
Unregistered guest
i recently just put a ken harrison KHE 200 into my 1966 mustang. i also put 120 watt pioneer kickpanel speakers in as well. when the radio is on (even when the engine is not) i get a bad crackling sound and the bass is not very good. they just sound bad. i know its not the speakers because i tried them on a home stero system and they sound great. the manual says to maybe put a LC filter on it but it still happens when the engine is not running. any suggestions?????

Username: Ptwhb17

i just got an amp 60x4 installed from my infinity speakers the front driver side makes this crackling noise when i get to high volumes, i tested out the balance and fade and found out that it was only this speaker and not the passenger front side, i don't think it's blown b/c it works at normal volumes just fine, what could be the problem is it a loose connection or something? thanks a lot guys

Gold Member

Post Number: 2255
If your speakers are making "crackling" noise, it means there is too much power flowing to them. Either cut down the volume or get a stronger speaker.
Check your gain/level setting on the amp. Sometimes you could have imbalance between left and right signal, one side having stronger signal. This would cause the amp to put out more power on one side.
Also, if you use speaker to rca converter/adapter with a power amp, you will not get high quality sound, especially bass. You could also easily overload cheaper amps.

Username: Ptwhb17

Post Number: 2
thanks issac i really appreciate it! :-)

Unregistered guest
hi ive just bought a sony head unit 4x50 i just wondered can you plug 6x9's into this head unit they have 220w on the box but 45w rated power will they be ok or will they blow the head unit or will the head unit blow the speakers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2293
Stephenlawes, you can plug in 6x9s. It should work fine without blowing anything.
In the future, try something else besides Sony. They love to exaggerate/lie about power numbers. You can't get 220w from 45w rms. Check the ohms law.

Unregistered guest
hi ive just bought a sony head unit 4 x 50w i just wondered would i be able to plug sony (xs-f693n) 220w 6x9 (45watt rated power)into the head unit

Gold Member

Post Number: 2296
Yes you can.

joecruz42
Unregistered guest
I was wondering ? If I purchase four 100 watt rms speakers for my 2001 Jeep Cherokee,how much power would the 4 channel amp have to put out in order to drive all 4 speakers well.
Also would a 200watt 12" sub and 200watt amp be enough for a good sound ?
Thanks..

Gold Member

Post Number: 2299
You would need at least 75w rms x 4 amp, 125w rms x 4 is better.
200w rms of well designed sub and box is enough bass for everyday use. What you will need is a good 200w sub amp. Don't think of purchasing Sony/Lanzar/Pyramid/Pyle/Boss etc. They are not worth it.

nicc
Unregistered guest
Hi,
I don't know if my Eclipse HU is the problem or not. When I turn the ignition to accessory(engine is still off) which I can turn on the HU without starting the engine, it works fine. However, while the key is on acc. and the HU is playing, when i start the engine with the HU still playing it would make a popping noise thru the speakers. Is there a way that I can fix this problem? Maybe my wiring is wrong or something?

Username: Nobletatom

Batavia, Illinois USA

Post Number: 10
i had a problem similar to this, exept it was the poping noise coming from my sub, it turns out it was the wiring harness that was installed on my head unit. so i would deffinitly check the wiring on it.

nicc
Unregistered guest
Also...while the engine is running and I turn the HU on it works fine with no popping noise so I might think it has something to do the wiring. It only makes that popping noise when the HU is on and when I try to start the engine. I know that when you start an engine all the electonic devices stop to give all the power to make the engine start. But anyway, hope someone could help me with this problem.

Unregistered guest
Loud poping noise[more of a loud bass hitting sound] coming from my subs when i turn down my volume and when i turn up my volume. work find before but bought brand new system and now this problem put it in someone else car works fine but not in my its ground good, new rca jacks, but still dont know what the problem is. anyone can help?

Username: Ethereal87

Post Number: 5
i have a pioneer p2600 head set, a poweracoustic lt720/4 amp and crossfire 6.5 midbase speakers in the rear. I have the crossover on amp set to full range speakers have crossovers.
set sound fine except the one rattles with the bass. please give me your opinion on whats wrong or what i need to do

email me ethereal87@hotmail.com

Danwhu
Unregistered guest
People, im a novice to car audio installation, i have bought 6x9's run all the wires to the head unit etc, and i just need to know where they go in the back of the head unit!!!!!!! thanks alot

email: Dansmith1986@aol.com

D G
Unregistered guest
ok i used to be into alot of car audio but not recently. To make a long story short i went to find a punch amp cause thats what i used to have. found a punch 500m hooked it up (wrong) slamed for about 5 minutes before melting into the size of a nickel. my question is whats the latest out there for amps? pushing 2 JL 12's.

Donterror1
Unregistered guest
I just installed a sub and amp and I have the RCAs and Power wires on opposite sides of the car, when I turn my car on, the sub buzzes to the rev of my engine.. it also constantly hits...Could this be a bad ground problem?

Donterror1
Unregistered guest
I just installed a sub and amp and I have the RCAs and Power wires on opposite sides of the car, when I turn my car on, the sub buzzes to the rev of my engine.. it also constantly hits...Could this be a bad ground problem?

Unregistered guest
How do I tell which speakers would be best for my car? I have a Sony CDS-L410X. It is rated at 22 watts/channel minimum continuous average power into 4 ohms and maximum power output is 45w X 4.

Thanks!!!

long beach
Unregistered guest
i just installed 2 pair of 6.5 hifonics component speakers i just cant get the whining to stop everytime the rpm goes up the whining gets worst. now this morning when i turned on the car i got like crackling pops from the speakers. i also have 2 15 inch kicker l7's off a hifonics 2005 class d amp and that seems to be running good with no probs. for the comps im running a 2 channel 1440 power acoustik amp.i just need suggestions on how to stop that whining and crackling pop everytime i turn on the car. thxz

CurTis 01
Unregistered guest
Hi i have a honda civic 1992 4dr. I took out my stock 61/2 front speaker and dropped JVC's in there and then i put 6x9 Sony xplod on the bak. I had a 400watts amp in ma car with 2 10s Rockford Punch Stage 1 subs. They all worked fine. Then i bought a 1200watt amp hooked it wit my amp and they worked like a charm then as i was wan;nt satisfied i tried bridgn only one sub cuz it was a 2 channel amp. It got even better. After that fo some stupid reason i took the wires off and tried bridgn aagin this time i messed up the wires and the protection turned on. I fixed the problem but now when i bridge my sub and turn the amp on b4 the music even playn ma subs start makn thumpn sounds. Its also happen when i decrease on increase the volume. When music plays that noise is quite noticable at low volume so i always play it on high so it hard to hear.

I thought it was my amp so i returned the amp for another amp it still was doin the same thing. Then while i was tryn to figure out wat was rong wit it i toof Left RCA cable off my amp and the thumpn was gone aswell as most of the bass. I put it back in and thumpn comes bak and subs also get the extra bass they should have. So i thought it mite be the RCA's , result i bought new RCA's now even with new RCS's it making that thumpn sound.

My deck has a security feature, when u turn the car off it maked the speaker beep 4 times to remind u off takn the face plate off. Now when i turn it off the thumpn goes on with the speaker, and it keeps happenin until the unit has been takn off.

I am really confused plz help. I tried explainn the best way i could. Plz any help will be highly appreciated.

Rockman
Unregistered guest
I have a Alpine HU that allows me to adjust the LP and HP crossover freq. I have set my LP to 80hz. My Amp also has a setting for LP 20 - 300hz, I currently have it set off, since I can't turn off my Alpine HU LP crossover. Should I set both my amp and HU crossover at 80Hz, I running 2 12" R12's, and 1000watt amp. It sounds good, I just want the bass that carries.....

ruyytt
Unregistered guest
I have crackling sound from back left 6-9 what could be the problem Ive tried everything

Username: Oupa

Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

I had problem of an egine sounding through my speakers. I got advised by different qualified sound enginers, some said I used cheap Amp (calibra) and RCA brands, some said my wiering is not professional. All that was a lie. THE SOLUTION I GOT WAS TO TAKE A NORMAL SPEAKER CABLE WITH THO WIRES, REMOVED THE INSULATION ON BOTH ENDS OF EACH WIRE, AT THE BACK OF MY HEAD UNIT, CONNECTED ONE WIRE ON BOTH CHANELS(RCA) ON THE OTHER END OF THE WIRES YOU COMBINE THEM (CONTACT), THEN TRY TO SWICH-ON YOUR HEAD UNIT. IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS ATTACH THE OTHER END(COMBINED) TO THE GROUNG (CAR CHASIS)

Anonymous

Hi there guys. Im a BIG noob when it comes to car audio so anyway

I would like to know if its okay to run 280watt JVC 6x9s of a Calibra Stealth Series 200w x 4 amp????????.

So 2 chan for the 6x9s and 2 bridged for a Kenwood 12" sub

Is that okay????

Thanks
Moh

Username: Oupa

Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Post Number: 2
Hi guyz! I need help pls. I just connected my car sound system. PIONEER DEH 1750 F/L; 1000W CALIBRA AMP; AND SPEAKERS. So my problem is that when my system is on for more that 10 minutes my battery dies. please guyz help me with any information. I hope you reply soon. thanks

Unregistered guest
I have a Chevy 1/2 ton 94 Pickup truck. I just bought a new high end CD player Kenwood deck with the motorized faceplate connecting to 4 cheap speakers that work and sound fine. I also have a Boss 2 channel HC1900 watt amp w/ built in cross over, power by a 105 amperes alternator and a gel cell battery with 4 gage wires (on the passengers side) and a 3 Farad Legacy Cap (but I disconnected it for now), I have the Remote and RCA's *on the drivers side) along with the rear speaker wires. I have connected to the amp 2 10 inch 1000 watt Rockford Fosgate Punch Power RFR2210 duel 4 Ohm voice coil subs, by 2 10 gage twisted pare wires Both wires are same length (about 6 feet) between amp and subs on each channel thus 2 Ohms per channel at 500 watts RMS on the amp. All this inside a custom box that I built (Looks and sounds great usually) the problem is Drivers side sub rumbles or pops intermittently weather car is running or not, even if the RCA's are connected or not, only while I'm playing a CD or tuner (local station) doesn't matter the hu volume since the RCA's are not the problem any way, I don't have a CD changer or any extras like that. Some of the time they sound awesome but sometimes the one side rumbles while the other side is playing music (sounds great on that side) if the RCA's are connected. If I disconnect the RCA the one side continues to pop or rumble making a static sound. I haven't found anything that the sound could be following (like the engine or fuel pump or fan etc.) at least not yet. The only thing I haven't tried is swapping the subs to the opposite channel to see if problem is persistent with the sub or the channel on the amp.

Anonymous

has anyone noticed that the last answer to anyones questins is April 12? there are no answeres to any question since April 12

Anonymous

Hi...my system consists of an Eclipse CD3414 HU with 2 6 1/2s in the front and 2 6x9s in the back...after a while my front left 6 1/2 inch speaker seized to work...for a while at first it was seriously cracking...i dont know why?...my first instinct was to believe that it had blown...is that the case?...anyways thats no the whole story...recently without my front left speaker my other speakers worked fine, i could crank them up hard...until i bought a boss 1000 watt 4 channel amplifier and a jbl boxed and ported 12 inch sub...now thats its been installed my speakers crackle at medium volumes even when i turn down the bass on my sub...it sounds just like they've blown but i cant believe that since i was crankn them the day before without any problems...iv tried adjusting the fader to put more volume to the front bcoz my 6x9s make serious cracking sounds whenever it hits bass...but even when that happens and i try to crank it up, theres serious crackling when theres hard bass...can somebody tell me if they can help me with this problem...i truely dont believe that my speakers have blown and that it could be something with the wiring...i appreciate any feedback...thanks...
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us