SPX-177R vs god himself

Bronze Member
Username: Dozyproductions

San Diego, California United States

Post Number: 58
i know this is getting pretty anoying for you jonathan when people ask you what comps are good or not. but im thinking of buying the alpin type X 2 way for cheepo and then selling it for higher price. besides their mounting depth, i feel like these "honeys" aint too shabby. would anyone know about their performance?

Silver Member
Username: Rzarector

Coquitlam, Bc Canada

Post Number: 399
i m kinda between the alpine type x's and the jl XR set.. ive herd the xr's can be hard to listen to because they are fairly bright.. i listen to the type x's though .. they were pretty nuetral sound i guess i dont have the words to describe it like jonathan lol.. so id like to hear jons input on these as well

Bronze Member

Post Number: 63
hahaha was it more rounded or just more "warm" sounding?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4179
Haven't dealt with the Type X's honestly, I've heard pretty good things. Worth the money? Maybe, Alpines speakers and subs tend to be a bit overpriced IMO anyway. People soak it up though, brand recognition, so you may be able to sell them pretty easily.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 72
thanks man. im just thinking that this could be a start of some side operation that will eventually get me enough money for a big house and a giant lawn so the biggest of the big lawn mower vans will have a hard time to tough out. so in consenquence the mowers dont want to mow the grass and the grass grows tall. Ravenous and man eating beasts would occupy my grass forrest and keep the tricker treaters... d-e-d, dead.

Unregistered guest
I've had much experience with the older version of these components (spx 177a) and let me tell you they are awesome. They are made by vifa for alpine. Vifa is a very hi end driver company out of denmark. They own and make scanspeak drivers and seas drivers that are used in super hi end home audio such as sonus faber. The alpine set uses a hemp cone woofer and a fabric tweeter. Hemp cones have been used in many profesional guitar speakers because of theyre warm and clear sound as well as they're durability. Because of the hemp cones these speakers sound different than all the rest. I should know I've tried them all.( cdt,morel,mb quart,diamond, rs audio,focal,jl audio,dynaudio,etc) I used them biamped with a tube driver 4x75 amp in a yukon and they sounded awesome. I replaced them with dynaudio and I don't notice a huge difference. Thae type x are great speakers

Bronze Member

Post Number: 81
thats what i was getting to think. people sometimes turn the cold shoulder in the alpine hi ends just becasue they are commercial brand.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 82
e doggg, i was just wondering how the bass punched and if the tweeter was harsh at all?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 83
have you heard of the dls ms6?

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4193
Vifa doesn't really own Scan speak or SEAS, Vifa and Scan-Speak are both owned by DST (Danish Sound Technology)/Tymphany who merged not too long ago, along with Peerless. All kick@ss speakers. SEAS is independant of both, though.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 4200
"thats what i was getting to think. people sometimes turn the cold shoulder in the alpine hi ends just becasue they are commercial brand."

F#1 Status line gets it's deserved recognition, it's used a lot in competition (especially head unit/processor). I'd love to have the F#1 Status head unit and processor, but then again I'd just love to have the $7,000 that they cost laying around as well. For the money I'd rather pay for the raw drivers than get their version of them, that's why I stated that I feel they are overpriced. You could say that about a LOT of car audio manufacturers. Alpines middle of the road stuff isn't quite as widely credited, but it's well built and reliable. I didn't intend to shun you (if I did), I'm just not the biggest fan of their speakers and subs, I've heard the Vifa XT drivers, I was somewhat impressed, but not to the point of blowing me away in all honesty (not shooting the speakers down, they are better than 80% of what you'll see in a car audio component system). That's in comparison to Dynaudio, Scan Speak, Morel, and other more expensive drivers, though, so not the most fair comparison. I will admit I'm very particular about my preferences, though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 84
hey its alright. yeah, well to tell you the truth the F 1 series is so out of my price range that i pretty much forgot about it when posting :\. thanks. ive been hearing good reviews for the type X but oops too bad bestbuy doesnt carry it so i have to drive over far distances. thats why i have so many comparison threads in here. thanks jonathan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us