Magnesium cone life expectancy

Bronze Member
Username: Dozyproductions

San Diego, California United States

Post Number: 60
im just harboring over couple of models of comps. One question about the dls comps. so its known that if you touch the magnesium cone that it will deteriorate. Is this because of the oils on our skin because whenever your closing the door/slamming, couldnt the wind also give enough force to be acting like a finger perhapS? i dunno and thats why i ask. thanks

-dozy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 66
hahaha not being a b!tch about it just making it go on top. pump, pump, pump it UP! pump that senior spirit up

Bronze Member

Post Number: 69
ill be persistant

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4177
I haven't really seen a study on the life of Magnesium, but it takes years upon years. Think of all the old cars (50s and 60s cars) that used magnesium wheels, intakes, and so forth. Magnesium has to be insulated from non-compatible metals, it isn't galvanically compatible with ferrous metals and non-ferrous metals that contain copper, nickel, and similar coating. Any speaker that hopes to have a chance of survival will be coated, examples include the SEAS Excel/Lotus drivers. Since your skin contains oils, salt, and such, and since you are essentially an electrolyte, it can lead to the speaker corroding if it is connected with a conductive material such as copper.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 71
aiy thank you jonathan
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us