RE XXX12 Sealed

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 115
ok, i got my RE XXX12 finally, and im wondering what to go with here. I listen to probably the widest range of music possible.. some more than others. Mostly i'm aiming at heavy metal or some rap tunes. after reading what happens after the sub hits at frequencies lower than it is tuned, i have started to debate whether im in a safe zone for a daily-driver. right now i have a box waiting for me tuned to 35Hz, supposedly for SQL, the dimensions are taken from the RE website. it looks like a very nice box, but im wondering if i should go sealed instead, to avoid the fear of blowing my new sub. thanks for any suggestions, and thanks for reading.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 490
You need to have a subsonic filter enabled for a ported box.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 168
yop. depending on what amp you are using, it is usually equipped w/one.
i choose sealed because it is all i have ever owned. i know what to expect and the ported boxes i have heard sound great, but don't offer the sq throughout the large musical range to which i listen. i have very picky ears though.

Silver Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 116
ok, how about head units? would they maybe have an adjustable subsonic filter aswell?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 170
i have never known a HU to have a sub filter. but again, having all sealed enclosures, i have never needed the function. so if it was present inside of the HU i never noticed it. but just about every amp i have owned has had the function.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 493
My HU has crossovers, but I doubt they'll come with a subsonic filter. You will need to get inline RCA filters or get an amp with a built-in subsonic.

mr. dumb
Unregistered guest
what happens when after the sub hits at frequencies lower than it is tuned?

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 171
sealed enclosures allow for the air sealed inside to serve as a suspension for the driver. this prevents it from bottoming out (over excurting?).
in a ported box, there is nothing there to prevent this, so these lower frequencies (that can't be heard anyway) should be cut altogether, therefor preventing the sub from bottoming out.

Silver Member
Username: Alpineuser

Winchester, TN

Post Number: 507
well if u tune your box to 35hz u have 15hz below it that can still be heard ( to most people)

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 184
i agree. but why would you cut frequencies at/below 35hz?

Yeman
Unregistered guest
Ya if you use a tuning frequency that isnt right for the sub, its almost as if the sub is playing in open air.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us