The Hype!!!(JL owners i need ur expert opinoin)

Bronze Member
Username: Dz43893

Chicago, Illinois United states

Post Number: 19
I hear great things bout them w7's do they live up to the hype excpecially the 12''? now would a 10'' and 12'' have the same power from a 500/1 or would the 12 have more? And lastly i have 99' chevy malibu im lookin to get the 12w7 and the 500/1 with a 3 farad capacitor and ported box. now is any1 gonna be honest and let me know if thats gonna slam or am i gonna have to sack up and get the 1000/1?

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

MN

Post Number: 263
If you want to slam, you should get the 1000/1. And if you can afford it go for the 13w7. That sub and amp are a prefect match. But if you don't want ot spend that much and your gonna be getting a 500/1 you should probably go with a 10w7. Then you would be powering that sub right. I personally wouldn't power a 12w7 with a 500/1 cuz it would be 250 watts under the recommended rms, but that is just my opinion. So basically if you are gonna get the 500/1, go 10w7. Or get a 1000/1 with a 12w7 or 13w7.

Silver Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 200
that sub is waaay overpriced imo. i agree with Isaac though, you will need to run with the 1000/1 for the 12 or 13". that 500/1 will just further attribute to your arguable waste of money, as you would not be getting from the w7 what you paid for.
a 10" sounds really good (as far as w7 go) with the 500/1. but imo they are a bit muddy and relatively inaccurate FOR THE $. great subs none the less.
i would run with the brahma, xxx, ED, or sound splinters for considerably less money and arguably better sound. that way, you would have the extra cash to spend on a good amp. i do love the jl amps by the way. other options are mmats 1400.1 and ed nine.1 among others.
but i know a jl fan is a jl fan. i used to be one myself.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
so the 10 wouldnt even get that loud?

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 267
So your just looking for loudness???!!! Might as well just go pick up a Audiobahn or L7 if all you care about is loudness. As for the 10w7, it will get decently loud, but overall it will have nice SQ. You just have to decide what you want. I totally agree with mikechec, if you want a combo of SQ and SPL look into a Resonant Engineering XXX. Your gonna need substantially more power for it though.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 203
oh, yes it will. my friend has one 10w6 in his maxima and it literally sounds like two 12" from most other brands. i certainly don't knoxk JL at all. they are just overpriced. i am more of a fan of the w6v2. but they are still overpriced.
i think (and i have said it before) it is like the porche. for years, it couldn't be touched. but technology crept up on it and now you have a veriety of cars that go fast and handle exceptionally well that don't necessarily cost as much. the same for subs. jl has spent much time and money researching what sounds great. now you pay for the name based on that research. but, yes, they will get loud and sound relatively good doing it. i really don't think you will complain at all. i'm just turning into one of those blasted overly picky audiofile types LOL. but they are overpriced though.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
i am looking for sq but i also want it to pound pretty good

Bronze Member
Username: Dualgoldix

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 16
go big buy the 1000/1 you wont be dissapointed

Bronze Member
Username: Sublover

Lacrosse, MN U.S

Post Number: 11
If your looking for good sq sub that pounds very hard go with the 13w7 and the 1000/1 like isaac said. You could go with the re xxx too but you would deffinately need a bigger amp. It's an on going argument about wich subs are the best but it's really up to you and your sound prefrences. If you get either of the two subs mentioned I gaurantee that you will be more than satisfied.

Username: Chinorican150

New york, New york Us

Post Number: 4
Ok I also have a chevy malibu 02 and I had jls 13w7, in my opinion they are very overrated especially for their hefty price.. I found that a pair of alphasonik 12in 800 series do the job the lows are in credible and da price is even better.. Alphasonik makes a killer amp to .wire them subs to the pma600 or 1000 hc amp and watch people listen to u 4 blocks away.. Trust me jls are good but I've ran thru kicker jl ppi and rf and once I've got alphasonik I haven't channged since ... Oh and if u want da extra boom the alphasonik 900 series maheim edition hits at 2400 watts rms jus a 12in alone ...

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
will the 12w7 and the 500/1 pound,ill try and get the 13w7 and the 1000/1 but its kinda expensive. this is gonna be my first system so would i even know the differnce in sound quality between the JL amps and say like a kenwood amp is it that much differnt? because i can really power the 13w7 with a cheaper but reliable amp but then whats the point of gettin a w7 if ur not goin for sound quality but i do want sound quality.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 277
Yes there is a big difference in sound quality. I actually had a Kenwood amp and then I upgraded to a Xtant, which is another company with excellent SQ as good as JL at least. The difference was huge, the Kenwood didn't even compare. Buy stuff on ebay if you don't want to spend alot. The only thing that bothers me about JL is that they practically force you to buy there amp if you get a any of the W7 series. Look at the impedances. 10w7: SVC 3 ohm 12w7: SVC 3 ohm 13w7: DVC 1.5 ohm There aren't many amps that are gonna give the same power output at 1.5 to 4 ohms like there amps do. So if your gonna get a w7 you might as well get a JL amp with it.

Silver Member
Username: Joe_c

Oakwood, Ga

Post Number: 459
I have a 10w6v2 with a 500/1 and it has the best sq I have ever had. Does not hit as low as a w7 but I beleive for the money you cannot go wrong.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 226
just b/c it does not cost as much does not necessarily imply that an amp is sub par.
i (yes, once again) would personally do this with a great big smile on my face.

http://edesignaudio.com/product.php?cid=4&pid=6&cur=USD

at least 1200 watts, superior warranty, solid, solid design, free shipping, 350.00.
just
cant
beat
it.
wish i had another car so i could get one. my 2cents

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
joe c, did ur system bump at all cause if urs did u had a 10w6 so the 12w7 would have to, agreed?

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 278
Doug, did you learn nothing from this thread? Yes, a 12w7 will def bump, no worries about that. Trust me, you won't be disatisfied if you get a 12w7 paired with a 1000/1. You will get some hefty bump and nice SQ.

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 228
i think he is still concerned about pairing his 12 or 13" w/the 500/1 because of cost. in which case, i think we all agree, you should not.
go with the 1000watts and up setup unless you snag the 10". this seems to be the majority opinion.

Bronze Member
Username: Big_ed

Post Number: 25
mikechec9, you mentioned soundsplinters before. how do they compare in sq and spl??

i have asked this question like 3 times and no one has answerd me yet

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
alrighty im just scared that for all this money the 1 sub wont do

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 229
i personally like them better than the w7's. they are certainly sql subs that really have to be installed properly to effect the optimum sound. they are optimized for low-tuned vented applications, but are advertised with very small sealed enclosures. but the response is great and the bass reproduction is very smooth and pleasing to the ears (when installed properly, like any sub). this is achieved at 1/3 of the jl's price.
i would also recommend the xxx, and brahma, and idmaxx v3 though for similar reasons,b ut for slightly more money.
further, the owner, Mike, is moving and so i'm not certain as to the status of shipping or if the prices are going to increase (again). but email him from the site if you have any technical questions. he is real cool to deal with.

Bronze Member
Username: Dualgoldix

Pasadena, MD U.S.

Post Number: 17
dude buy the 12 and 1000/1 and listen.

I have a 12 W7 in custom enclosure and an oldschool orion amp stable at 2 ohm pumpin about 800 watts rms and my system is just as loud as a friends with 4 kicker comp VR's but I have better SQ and im usin OLDSCHOOL amps if u get the amp that is meant for that sub I cant even imagine sitting in a malibu with THAT!

If you dont believe me; hit me with an e-mail and Ill show YOU something
DUALGOLDIX@YAHOO.COM

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 232
may this settle your loins:
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos/JL/12w7.2.wmv

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 285
Yeah, no joke about that video. I have watched that vid like 10 times and everytime I am amazed. Once it gets that much excursion, throw the SQ out the window though. Nice none the less. Just proof that sucker can get loud.

Username: Jmacdadd

Holland, MI USA

Post Number: 4
Hey there. I was reading your post. I don't buy into the hype of the new JL subs personally. I loved their old stuff but it's funny that they designed their new subs the way they did and how they are only very compatible with their JL Amps. Are you tight for space and that's why you want a solo 12? I have a trio of 10W6 subs in the factory box with low play time I would sell you if you were interested. They don't take up much space and can slam like a pair of 15" subs! If you aren't space constricted, I have a trio of JL 15W6 subs that would blow your car up! They only take 1.25 cu. ft. each!

Bronze Member
Username: Sublover

Lacrosse, MN U.S

Post Number: 18
How much you want for the 10"s and how much for the 15's.

Silver Member

MN

Post Number: 286
Don't you mean 13w6? The W6 series doesn't have a 15 inch sub. They gotta be either W0 or W3v2 to be 15".

Silver Member

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 238
i think he's talking about the old first versions. they came in 15".
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us