Will stock stereo produce distortion that damages subs?

Bronze Member
Username: Phuktupbasshead

Scottsdale, Arizona United State...

Post Number: 37
I have my system running off a stock Ford Dolby stereo - I'm using one of those boxes that converts the speaker outputs into RCA jacks. Is this producing alot of distortion?
Also, there's a little dial on the bottom of the box (I guess it adjusts the level of output - right?) How do I adjust this properly and is this possible distortion going to ruin my sub?

Silver Member
Username: Byrumjr

Post Number: 297
The loc will make more distortion than using RCA's from a head unit. But if used only for bass it is real hard to hear it. The little dials are gust like the gain control on the amp. I set mine by ear. Turn all the setting on the head unit to be flat.(0 bass,0 treble) turn the loc and the amp gain down. Turn the head unit about ¾ up or until it sounds bad. Now set the loc and the amp gain until it sound good.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 40
Right on, brother! Is it true that too much distortion can phuk up your sub? The reason I ask is: the tinsel lead on my FUBR ripped and the guy down at the audio place told me that it was probably too much distortion coming through the sub - causing it to heat - then rip. Is all this true or is he blowing smoke up my a$$?
Like I said, thanks again!!!!!!!1

Silver Member

Post Number: 300
Are you talking about the wire from the post going inside of the sub.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 41
byrumjr: yep, that's the one! it smelled a little burnt and tore!!!

Silver Member

Post Number: 304
I guess it could rip but most likely the coil will burn into first. Distortion coming through the sub can cause it to heat up.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 44
So, what do you recomend I do, Byrumjr?
I mean, I don't wanna phuk up my new IDMAX... I'm breaking it in right now.
Please respond. Thanks!!!!!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 50
by the way... what does "loc" mean? Thanks.

Username: Tbolt

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 6
line out converter

Bronze Member

Post Number: 51
thanks. I appreciate that. In my case, would my line out converter be the little box that changes the speaker wire from my stereo into rca jacks that go to my amp? If so, how do I adjust that little box. I saw 2 little keyhole type dials on the side of it... would those be it?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 52
sorry if I sound retarded...i'm still new at this, and I've got already over $950 invested into this... I just REALLY need some good help! Thanks.

Username: Tbolt

Atlanta, GA

Post Number: 9
yeah follow byrum's advice and adjust the gain levels to the point of distortion then turn it down so that you cant hear any more distortion. Sorry if I can't give you any more advice. I'm bit of a newb
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us