Looking 2 12's, suggestions?

Bronze Member
Username: Bigred2069

Post Number: 11
i already have 2 12's in a ported box but im looking to upgrade, keepin the same ported box, with $150 - $200 what are the best 2 12's i could get? sorry im cheap im a poor kid

SUBFANATlC
Unregistered guest
man SCREEEEEW you. go f*ck yourself

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 603
moron... find sumin better to do than to try steal steal someones identity

Bronze Member

Post Number: 12
wtf??

TREV0R EATON
Unregistered guest
Im sorry i shouldnt of said that subfanatic ill just go and masterbate

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 607
wow.... im sorry you are cool

Silver Member
Username: Addicted2bass

Miami, Florida USA

Post Number: 818
Brook....what kind of subs do you have alreadhy inthe ported enclsoure?

Bronze Member
Username: Audio_king

Denton, TX USA

Post Number: 24
i bought two 12" audiobahn aluminums 1000 watt rms 2000 watt peak double stacked 120 oz magnet for 200 today. they looked like a great deal...and i think thayll push alot more than the 1000 watt peak 15" audiobahns i have.oh and by the way i got them on ebay and they still have 15 sets left but the auction ends tommorrow night.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 13
Dual....not the best in tthe would but they were cheap and have good spl, im lookin al ittle more for spl than sq...im kinda thinkin MTX 4500 or 4500, but its a little more than i wanna spend

Bronze Member
Username: Kd7nfr

Montpelier, ID United States

Post Number: 89
Go with some Eclipse Aluminums or Fosgate P1/P2s, or some good old Alpine Type-R's. You can pick the Fosgates up for about $90 a peice, and the Alpines are about $150. For the Eclipse, somewhere around there... Too lazy to look.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 15
what do yall think about MTX 4500 and 5500? anything better i could get for under $200 for both subs combined?

Bronze Member
Username: Audio_king

Denton, TX USA

Post Number: 46
audiobahn man! some ppl dont like it but its done me well and i like them. theyre not to expensive, i payed 200 even for two 12s. 1000 rms, 2000 max each.but if ur not a fan...

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4258
brooks, you have the plexiglas with the blue line that goes through it??? well i have a very similary box with 2 audiobahns in it that i guarantee will be louder and clearer than what you have, cause i have them running in my car right now, but im seling them for 150 plus shipping if your intersted

Bronze Member
Username: Veilside2774

Middleton, Mass America

Post Number: 25
wow... what a budget. Earn some more money from your paper route then ask

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4268
curtis, just ebcause he isnt rich doenst mean anything, he didnt ask us to give him financing suggestions, he asked us what he can do, so were going to help

Bronze Member
Username: Adelphia83

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 51
I've always liked Audiobahn for the price, I've used their Alum12 and AW1200Q woofers, and they have decent SQ and good SPL.

Be sure your box is the right enclosure size for the particular woofer. You simply cannot just purchase the woofer and slap it in any old ported box.

In either case I'd recommend a pair of AW1206T (the flame Q I think it's called), or AW1200Q's, both can be had for less than 200$ per pair, and are recommended for ported enclosures.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 17
yea chris sry pal i already have 2 actually.....but yea subfanatic i have the plexiglass box with blue neon in it, it came like that, the subs in it are alright, but i want to upgrade

yea i need to look into audiobahn more ive heard good things about them

how do you know if your box is the right size? i honestly dont no the specs on my box, except that it is ported and has 4 holes on top, and is made for 12's

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4275
brooks, that box wont work with anything except the duals in it

Bronze Member

Post Number: 18
no way! why not?

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 52
Those bandpass are tuned for maximum SPL with the woofers that are installed. Those woofers that come with Audiobahn's tuned bandpass boxes are garbage to begin with.

They typically use a ~50hz tuning frequency which while being loud with most music, which will sound like complete a$$ when you throw better woofers and more power at it.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 53
Your best bet IMO, is buy two cheap sealed boxes (1.25cu ft per woofer), and two Audiobahn Alum12s. That woofer is a good mix of SPL and SQ, doesn't break the bank, and works good in a sealed box which takes the guesswork out of things.

The only drawback is they are dual 6 ohm woofers, which makes it a PIA to get max power out of most amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 19
dang that really sucks i like that box, dual 6 ohm? so id have 3 ohm workload on my amp? or a 12 ohm depending on how i wire it?? how do you wire 2 dual 6 ohm subs to a 2 channel amp?

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 55
Most amps are able to sustain a 4 ohm mono, or two ohm stereo load..

Your wiring choices for this type of amp (assuming a pair of Alum12 woofers) would be 3 ohm stereo, or 6 ohm mono.

So if AMP A is 800x1 @ 4 ohm mono, or 400 x 1 @ 8 ohm mono, you'd be drawing 600w from that amp.

You could also pick up an amp that is 1 ohm mono stable, and run those subs in parallel creating a 1.5ohm load.

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 56
The wiring to create a 6 ohm load, would be voice coils in series (each woofer would then be 12 ohm), then wire the two subs parallel to the amp, creating a single 6 ohm load.

You could also run the VC's in parallel, and the subs themselves in series to the amp, creating the same load.

Or you could wire VC and subs in parallel to achieve the 1.5ohm mono load.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
i think ill wire to have the 3 ohm stereo, thanks for the help

but one quick question, how are boxes tuned?

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 57
The boxes are tuned by varying the port length in a given sized enclosure.

It is remotely possible to use your existing box as long as it's internal airspace is adequate, simply by removing the plexiglass in front, and changing the tune frequency.

The tune is dependant on the driver used, as each driver has a different resonant frequency, and other characteristics.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
alright sweet, i think im gonna take your advice though and get 2 boxes, cus im about to get a different car, and i think that setup would look cool and sound better, cus i might also end up with an extra pair of 6x9's that id put in boxes and run off of a crappy old amp i got in our crawlspace

do you have a link for a place that sells the audiobahns you are talkin about? i looked on their website and they have a ton of subs and im not sure the ones you are talkin about, thanks for the help

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 58
If you want a warranty, you have to purchase from an Audiobahn authorized dealer, which significantly increases price. Try crutcfield.com, circuit city, or even look online for vendors that are an Authorized dealer. You should still be able to pick up two AW1200N's (N is the 2005 model, Q is the earlier model) for about that 200$.

If you want to take the risk of ordering without a warranty (they'll give you a 30-90 day DOA warranty and nothing more), you can purchase the woofers at probably a 30-50% savings from an unauthorized dealer, namely the vendors on Ebay.

I've purchased all my audiobahn components from E-bay and never had a problem, everything went satisfactory, and the savings is unbeatable.

The subs I suggested are the AW1200Q (or AW1200N), and the AW1206T. These are recommended for medium sized ported enclosures, and have good reviews, and I use the AW1200Q's myself.

Here's a couple links that show the two woofers. Whether to order from an authorized dealer is entirely up to you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D7978579070& category=38647&sspagename=WDVW#ebayphotohosting
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48613%26item%3D5779482753 %26%26

Bronze Member

Colorado Springs, CO USA

Post Number: 59
My mistake, that first link should be:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26%26item%3D7978579070& category=38647&sspagename=WDVW

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
man your the best thanks a ton, ill be sure to come to you if i have any questions
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us