THD dose it play a big role in mono amps?

strongcola
Unregistered guest
Total Harmonic distortion i try to look for amps with 0.05 thd do you think it only realy plays a big part in your higs?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4219
it only plays a big deal if its over 10 percent

strongcola
Unregistered guest
mc Intosh has a rating of like 0.005 that eather smothe running or a wast of money

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 4221
waste of money

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 127
10% is the generally accepted THD when dealing with sub 80hz frequencies. Most people will not be able to hear it.

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1788
umm ill have to say that mcintosh amps arent a waste of money man, soem of the best amps made, imo

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4089
That's 10% total distortion, not amp distortion. Speakers distort far more than amplifiers do. Optimally, you'd have no distortion at all and strive to get as close to that as possible, but of course this is the real world and that hasn't been made possible yet. You really won't notice a huge difference in amplifier distortion as long as you're below clipping levels, but that isn't an excuse to crap out on the amp either. Strive for the best you can get, not just from a THD standpoint, but overall build quality and material quality.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 628
i think he means you dont have to spend all that extra money to get clean sound.... but mcintosh amps are so rare... ive never seen one in real life... i know they put them in bentleys though 8)

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1789
weird how i brought this post back to life, og and trevor SHUT UP! jk. :-) but i wouldnt call them a waste of money.you just pay a lot

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3361
McIntosh is about as big of a waste of money as Sinfoni, US amps,Tru Technologies,Zapco,PPI(art), and Older A/D/S. they are fantastic amps and should never be looked down because of their low low THD rates!

strongcola
Unregistered guest
i want to get two of there 1000 watt amps mac intosh that is and run 2 13w7 sealed

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3374
that will sound great man.

strongcola
Unregistered guest
but is the money worth 0.005 will i even hear the difference?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4094
No, but you'll be assured that you're getting a quality amplifier by a respectable company. Amps of that caliber last years upon years upon years, many if not most people are getting 10-15 years of service out of these type of amps. Companies like Brax offer a lifetime warranty on their amplifiers.

Gold Member

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3378
exactly and you cant put a price on that!:-) reliability is KEY when buying electronics.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us