Hey Jonathan, or anyone else, question about crossovers!

Silver Member
Username: Jbailey

Indianapolis, Indiana

Post Number: 118
I am wondering which crossover I should use for my system. I have the crossover on my PG amp and also the one built into my headunit. Is there any benefit to using one over the other? One of the guys at a local shop was telling me that it's best to use the crossover on the headunit because it's digital? Is that just a bunch of bullshit or what? Thanks for the help.

Silver Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 137
Not necessarily, some digital crossovers completely cut off frequencies higher or lower than the set value. It could sound a bit odd. The crossover on the amp will have a slope (6-36db) in which it will blend into the rest of your system. Also, some higher end decks have adjustable slopes built in. It depend on the equipment.

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Germany

Post Number: 726
"Not necessarily, some digital crossovers completely cut off frequencies higher or lower than the set value"

No they don't. Yes some digitals have adjustable slopes, and some can be cut off pretty high, but none that i have seen completly cut of at a set freq.

Justin, the reason he likes digital better is the added control you can have. So it really depends on your amp head combo. I would simply try both and see what sounds best to you. After all thats what matters most.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 4070
I haven't seen any with a brick wall filter, I've seen some really close, like 180db/oct, but that's home audio. Main other benefit of a digital is that you have the capability to have different slopes minus phase shift, which is a big plus. Many don't take advantage of that, though. Anyway, I'd use the HU personally for ease of tuning, but either way will work well.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us