6.5 over powering 6 by 9's?

Silver Member
Username: Monkey_man

Post Number: 119
Okay i got a 96 accord. I know that the speakers in the back are 6 by 9's(oval). And i am pretty sure that the front ones are 5.25". I want to get infinity kappa perfects. But, the do not make 6 by 9's. So, i was thinking of getting 6.5's for the back and 5.25's for the front. However, i would like to stay with 6 by 9's. If i got the reffrence 6 by 9's and perfect 5.25's. Would that sound any good? Also, are the refrence even that good? Your opinions are greatly apriciated.

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 447
The References are great, especially if you're running them from the headunit alone, but their true potential is shown with the addition of an external amp...If the front stage did overpower the rear fill, it would sound good for sound imaging as most sound is generated in front of you during concerts, performances and so forth anyway.

Silver Member

Post Number: 120
Nice!! So should i get 5.25" or 6.5"? I heard you can mess around with the whole size. But would it be worth it?

Silver Member
Username: Illuminator

Post Number: 452
There would definitely be a difference in sound quality in getting the 6.5" as opposed to the 5.25" but that's up to you because i'm not sure how much work it would be to modify the fronts in a 96 Accord to fit 6.5"s...

Silver Member

Post Number: 124
i don't think it would be to hard. I've seen an accord with 6.5" in the front. I have another question though. I just read that 6 by 9's are over rated and they said that 6.5"'s would be better. But, do i really need to worry if i got thoughs in the front? Hard decisions...

Username: Dosspider

Post Number: 5
I've got a 96 accord, you shouldn't have any problem putting the 6 1/2's in provided they don't have some crazy elaborate grill or something, as far as those being better than the 6x9's I'm not sure. most of the sound in my car comes from the front, and I'm working on a new system right now with new tweeters and 6 1/2's, with the plan on just disconnecting the 6x9's. Hopefully everything should be bought and shipped by the end of this coming week or the beginning of the week after, leaving me free to install it the weekend of the 18th...I'll let you know how it goes.

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 596
The 6.5s will sound better better than the 6x9s. If I were you I would just get some nice 6.5s for the front doors and leave the back speakers unhooked. Because if you don't get speakers that can make your fronts not only will it distract from your front stage but may also distort and sound like crap. You'll also be saving money by only buying one set of speakers.

You may also want to look into CDT speakers. The 61s and 62s can be picked up cheap and have a softer tweeter than the Perfects.

Silver Member

Post Number: 125
Thanks dosspider that would be great. For brunner, so ur saying i should get a pair of CDT's? But what about the people who sit in the back seat? All they will hear is bass from the subs. In want every one to enjoy the system. Or will it not make a difference?

Silver Member
Username: Jeremyc

Germany

Post Number: 714
They will still hear the mids and highs too. Besides, who is more important, you or them?

I didn't run rear speakers in my last 3 stereos, and none of my friends ever complained. Honestly once I heard the diffrence, I wouldn't care if they did.

Silver Member

Post Number: 141
Thats a very good point. Screw the passengers!!lol

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 602
I didn't say screw the Infinity's, I am only suggesting that ou look around and listen to however many you can.

As far as the bacl passengers go, you will be putting 100 watts to those speakers, so they will get plenty loud.

Silver Member

Post Number: 148
Ya that's who i was reffering to. I will go to as many car audio places and listen to the spekers. As far as wattage goes, should i put 100 watts into on set? or each speaker/crossover/tweeter?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us