Which amp will sound better? 4ohm or 1ohm?

Rico1234
Unregistered guest
I would like to run 2 10" Alpine Type R Dual 4 ohm subs but I don't know which amp will be better for that setup.

I was told that the 1ohm stable mono amp will deliver more power to my subs (a local shop recommended a memphis 1000w monoblock for my config), but I also hear that 4ohm amps will work as well. Can someone break down the advantages to having a 1ohm amp as opposed to a 4ohm amp?

Also, I'm not looking to shatter any windows, I am looking for clean bass. Right now I am looking at a Kicker KX1200.1 or Kicker 850.2, other suggestions are very welcome. I'm not necessarily looking to break the bank. Can I get a clean bass without necessarily going for the 1200.1? Thanks in advance

Bronze Member
Username: Bmocbarker

KY

Post Number: 12
When you decrease the resistance of the load of an amp you will increase the distortion!

PS - The guys at your local shop are idiots! that amp is what I used to have that blew a sub rated for 1500w RMS! That amp will shred your alpines!

Bronze Member
Username: Bmocbarker

KY

Post Number: 13
Alpine subs aren't designed for amps with high output CURRENT! The Memphis will ouput up to 80A! Compared to the Kicker, the memphis's 1100 watts at 1ohm sound more like 1800watts!
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us