How can u tell if ur speaker is blown without hooking it up

Anonymous

i pushed on one of my polk 6x8s and its really rough feeling when i push down a little and the other speaker doesnt feel rough like that plz dont tell me its blown that would suck

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 380
Yea if it's hard to push down the speaker cone, then it's probably blown.

Silver Member
Username: Solacedagony

New Jersey US

Post Number: 381
You can sometimes also smell the cone. If it smells like something was burnt, that also is a telltale sign that your speaker is blown.

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 81
If your speaker is feeling a little rough when you push inward on it; it is because the voice coil is rubbing inside the magnet.

This usually happens when people push on the speakers cone. When a speakers cone is moved, in any other fashion other than when an electric signal is amplified, and the magnet causes the cone to vibrate, it will cause damage.

In this case, the speakers spider is damaged.

I lost track how many times I had to replace tweeters because knuckheads touched my tweeters. So, because I didn't catch them in the act I had to replace them at my cost.

I was thinking; the next time I catch someone pushing in my speakers; I will push in on their eyeball. I think they will get the point real quick. Speakers are almost as sensitive as eyeballs.

Use this ultimatum, and you will get results.

Anonymous

is your sub blown if it dosen't move at all

deftune
Unregistered guest
"This usually happens when people push on the speakers cone. When a speakers cone is moved, in any other fashion other than when an electric signal is amplified, and the magnet causes the cone to vibrate, it will cause damage. "

So i shouldnt tap on a sub's cone or i'll damage it? Should i even touch it?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us