Infinity wiring, please help!

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
ok, so i have two 4ohm DVC woofers with 400RMS. my amp is a two channel amp that puts out 854RMS x1 channel @ 4ohms (and/or 1300RMS x1 channel @ 2ohms). so if i connect both channels at 4ohms, the 854RMS from the amp should be cut in half, correct? then i'd be getting 427RMS to each sub, yes? how do i wire it this way? will the extra 27RMS hurt the subs (peak is 1200W)? thanks

Silver Member
Username: Araknid

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 480
http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp =Dual+Voice+Coil+-+4+ohms+x+2&image.x=26&image.y=9&image=Submit

if it doesnt come up right put in 2 as # and DVC 4x2

I think you will be getting 427 watts the second way. Do you know voltage your amp is rated at?
No 27 watts will not hurt your sub.
If your amp is rated at 14.4 volts then they wont even be getting that extra 27 watts because a car only puts out 13.8 volts

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
yah, my amp is rated at 14.4V. the rockford fosgate thing is only useful if yer sub amp is one channel. my amp has two channels. its the infinity REF1211a. i'll be hooking it up to two 12" infinity kappa perfect DVQs. so can i use one channel per sub and get a 4ohm on each channel? is there a wiring option for that? or am i only allowed to use one channel?

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
also, my amp's max input is 5.7V. my head unit only spits out 2.2V. am i losing wattage here or what? should i get a new head unit that spits out 4V? would it make a diference?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 483
No, what you do is hook up bridged and what that does is combine the wattage. since it is rated at 14.4 then your speakers will get alittle less then 400 each IF you hook it up wit option # 2 of the RF Tech wiring diagram.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 485
And that that is the only way you can do it.

If you hooked it up one sub per channel since a DVC 4+4 can only be hooked up 2 ohm or 8 ohm you would be overpowering or underpowering it so hooking it the way I showed to get a 4 ohm load you would be safest way. And remember you have to bridge it by using a negative from one channel and a positive the other channel. It should say bridged on the amp over the channels wit lines pointing to which + and - to hook it up to.

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
so to bridge the amp i use the positive from one channel and the negative from the other, right? then i wire it just like the RF #2 thing says? the wiring guide i got with my amp says if i hook up one 4ohm dvc woofer in parallel using the positive and negative from one channel, i'll get a two ohm load. the amp would then supply it with 1300W RMS this way. so if i hooked both subs up in this 2ohm-load fashion (each sub using a seperate channel), would i get 650W RMS for each sub? and would this wattage hurt the subs?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 487
whoa whoa I dont what you just said but just do like said to, and Joe or somebody if you see this take another look over everything to make sure I didn't screw somethin up. And yes if you hooked up each sub at 2 ohms it would have a chance of hurting them and your amp may not be 2 ohm stable. And if you hooked it 8 ohm series for each channel then they wouldnt recieve enough power( wouldn't hurt but will probaly not get the desired results your lookin for.) just do what I said and dont accidently confuse the diagrams make sure you use the 2nd one for 2 subs DVC 4x2

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
yes, my amp is 2 ohm stable. it's minimum is 2 omhs. now, doesn't bridging create more wattage? i know that since it'll be hooked up to two subs it will be divided in half, but with what i've told you about the amp already, how much W RMS will i get when the amp is bridged?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 496
What amp is is so I can make sure because the information may have been put in a way I Misinterpreted.

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
infinity REF1211a. i don't think it's bridgable...

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 499
http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF1211A'&Ser=REF&Cat=AMP

Its saying 854 watts x 1 and I can clearly see in the picture 2 channels so that must mean that its 854 x 1 bridged.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 500
I dont know what happened but just copy paste it dont click on it.

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
dont you think they would specify 854W RMS x1 channel bridged? would it be easier for me to just get the SVC version of my subs? they would still be 4ohm and run at 400W RMS. then i could just hook each up to their own channel. since the amp runs at 854W RMS x1 channel @4ohms, i would be using both channels, both at 4ohms--which means i'd get 427W RMS to each sub, yes? of course i'd be loosing a total of 6db, but if it means easier wiring, i'm ok with that

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 502
...? how would you be loosing 6 DB? and yes it would be simpler to get the SVC 4 ohms version but its completely poosible the way I showed you.

Do you actually have the subs which I assumed the way you stated everything, or are you still lookin?

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
well i have paid for the DVQs, but they're on backorder, so i could cancel them any time b4 the end of this month. i'd be losing 6db because the SVC version puts out 89db where as the DVC puts out 92db (these are the ratings for sensitivity @ 2.83V/1m -- whatever that means, haha) and i would of course have 2 each of either (the 3db difference x2=6db).

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3592
fairly new to this arent you? lol, but no there isnt going to be a difference between SVC and DVC, its just for wiring techniques, you wont lose anything, but wait for the DVC, nice to have those, and i dont understand alot of your math, what are the questions?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 504
I would order SVC 4 ohm and hook up each sub to its
own channel.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3594
i would order DVC 2 ohms

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 505
I would order SVC 4 ohm and hook up each sub to its
own channel.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3595
i would order dvc 2 ohm

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 507
theres no way to get a 4 ohm load with 2 DVC 2ohm subs unless you ran the voice coils in series and hooked up each sub to its owns channel which would be pointless when you can just get a SVC 4ohm sub instead of having to wire the DVC 2+2 subs in series for each sub.

Unregistered guest
Off the topic but how should I connect my Sub to my subbox tabs. Should I soldler the wires or use some special connectors/terminals that I don't know about... its the little things that web retailers leave out

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 508
http://www.arkeng.com/img_2/images/terminals_5.jpg

those things right there you stick the wire in the rounded part then squeeze it tight wit somethin then you slide the other end over the tabs.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3600
bassman, if you get 2 dvc 2 ohm subs, than you can wire each in series to its own channel to get 4 ohms, same thing the svc 4 ohms subs would achieve, BUT if he blew this amp, it would leave more wiring optioins for the enxt, GOTTA THINK AHEAD

Unregistered guest
Thanks bassman, thats what I thought, but those things look so weak, like if they will burn up and fall off atfer a couple of months.

I would go with the SVC 4 ohm wired to their own channel thats the easiest to wire, but not all subs are availble as SVC in which in case you would have to go with DVC 2 ohm sub

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3606
dude, go with dvc 2 ohms, trust me

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 509
No you dont have to worry about the connections burning up. But what you do have to worry about is getting the right size that will fit the sized wire your using and the tab. And if you want to give it the best connection possible after you slip it on the tab solder it.

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
ok, well they dont offer DVC 2ohms. and since i wouldnt lose anything getting the SVCs, i guess i'll get them. it'll make everything easier!

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 513
ok just make sure there 4 ohm not 2.

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
ok, im a moron... it's not a two channel amp... :-/

it's a monoblock amp. this oughta clear a lot up. so obviosly bridging is out of the question. what do you suggest?

BTW, thanks for all the help you guys! such tremendous support here. and i feel like an idiot.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 514
ok not a big deal, to get a 4 ohm load youll need 2 SVC 2ohm subs and wire them in series. wait a minute so that means its 1 channnel right? if it is
do what i just said to do if not let me think.

Hold when you said bridging is not a question did you mean that its 2 channel and you cant or because its 1 channel and u need 2.

im alittle confused.

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
it is a one channel amp, but it has two pos and two neg outs (called split mono, or monoblock). and im getting 4 ohm subs no matter what.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 516
I have no idea how you would hook that up you can actually help me on that one. can you still hook up them up 1 sub per channel?

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
right, so like, it delivers 854W RMS x1 channel @ 4 ohms. so if you hooked up two subs, one on each "block" (one block being one set of a pos and neg) it would split the 854 in half. same as if the amp only had one pos and neg out.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 518
So do you know how your gonna hook up the subs, or are you unsure because I think you can just hook up one sub to each block. So basically its almost the same as a 2 channel amp except there both mono?

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 519
also did you already order this amp?

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
yes i have this amp. no its not a dual mono. its more like 1 mono with an extra pos and neg out. so like, if i put a 4ohm load on block#1, the amp will deliver 854W RMS. and if i hook up a second sub to block#2 with a 4ohm load, i'll get 427W RMS to each sub, which is exactly what i want (and would be way easy to set up the wiring with 4ohm SVCs that run 400W RMS), but since they are DVC, i dont know how to wire it in a fashion that will give me a 4ohm load from each sub.

i've been told to wire block#1 to the first sub in parallel, and wire block#2 to the second sub in parallel. as you know this will give a 2 ohm load per sub (which would melt my subs). but then i'm supposed to series the subs together and it will create a 4 ohm load from each sub, which is what i want. however, i dont know how to series them together.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 521
The subs your getting are DVC 2+2?

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
no dude, when you hook up a 4ohm DVC in parallel, it gives a 2ohm load--right? the Theile-Small perameters for the subs say the impedence per voice coil is 4 ohms.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 522
Then why did you say "but since they are DVC"
Whats DVC that your talking about.

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
because it would be easy to wire if they were single voice coil, but they are dual voice coil, thus it is not easy.

fairly new to this
Unregistered guest
right, i know how to wire it now. anyways, thanks for all yer help.

Silver Member

BOCA , FL U.S.

Post Number: 523
I thought you said they didn't have DVC subs.

not so new to this anymore
Unregistered guest
i said they didnt have 2 ohm DVCs. if you go up (i'll quote myself here) it says: "ok, well they dont offer DVC 2ohms. and since i wouldnt lose anything getting the SVCs, i guess i'll get them. it'll make everything easier!"
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us