Xmax question

Username: Rowland336

Post Number: 1
I ordered 2 kenwood kfc-xw1202dvc 12 subs. I noticed the xmax is only 6.4, I cant believe I missed that. I wanted to see if anybody has heard these subs? I thought 600rms 1200watts 93db & solid parts it would be a great deal I got for the $ but I'm worried about the lack of xmax. Thanks

Silver Member
Username: Alias747

Post Number: 115
So would an xmax of 9.4mm for a 10" sub be pretty good? Just wondering.

Silver Member

Post Number: 116
So would an xmax of 9.4mm for a 10" sub be pretty good? Just wondering.

Post Number: 2
It takes quite a bit of power to get past 10mm of xmax. Alot of subs boast high xmax for sales. Some subs will never see anything above 10 xmax. So 9.4 for a 10 is good.

Silver Member

Post Number: 117
Thanks rowland. That is how much my sub is supposed to have. I found it on the tech sheet for my sub. So I don't think they were trying to brag about it. Also, my frequency response is 32-150 hz. Does that seem kinda bad?

Post Number: 4
For a 10 inch sub thats fine, could stand to be alittle higher than 150hz. pick up the difference w/dash,deck, or door speakers.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2636
First, 9.4 mm of xmax is pretty bad. Yes it takes more power to achieve more liner movement, but with 600 watts rms, many good subs can move a TON further than 9.4 mm. Rowland, in your first post you said 6.4, not 9.4. If it really is 6.4, than that's even worse.

Second, why would you need a subwoofer to play above 150 hz? "it could stand to be a little higher than 150 hz" You do know that if installed properly, your subwoofer should never see anything above 100 hz?

Thirdly, "thought 600rms 1200watts 93db & solid parts it would be a great deal " Never base your sub purchase on the sensitivity rating, or the effeciency. Sensitivity pretty much meens nothing when it comes to subwoofers, and effeciency isn't super important either. You should also never base your decision on a sub, just because it can handle x-amount of power. Power handeling doesn't matter as much as you'd think.

danuguy
Unregistered guest
well joe what exactly does matter when ur looking to buy a sub? i'm a newbie and i thought that the more rms watts it could hold the better. i knew max wasn't all that important unless ur like competeing or sumthin like that. so when i'm looking to by a sub what exactly do i need to look for?

Silver Member

Post Number: 118
Joe, MY sub is 9.4 mm xmax. Mine is a 10" and it is only 250w RMS. I was wondering, is only going down to 32hz sucky?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3965
Port it, tune it low. X-max won't matter nearly as much in that situation and you'll still get low.

danuguy
Unregistered guest
by the way i'm looking to by some 10's so i dont know if that helps or not. plus any suggestions about ne good 10's and an amp to push em both for fairly cheap would be greatly appreciated.

Silver Member

Post Number: 119
I am going to be getting a sealed box, is that a problem?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3966
BTW, the frequency response rating doesn't mean that the sub will only go to 32 hz. It is taken anechoic (big, open space, no cabin gain) and that is the frequency response that will be +/- 3db. Anything below 32hz won't be non-existant, but it will be over 3db quieter than the rest of the sub's range.

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2637
9.4 for a 10" 250 wrms sub is a lot more believeable then.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us