Thread Last Poster Posts Last Post
Archive through December 08, 2004Isaac100
Archive through June 30, 2004Gregory Wright100
Archive through February 02, 2004Anonymous100
Closed: New threads not accepted on this page

I hear you loud and clear
Unregistered guest
Thank you Isaac
I am not knowledgable regarding the technology of acoustics I simply trust what I hear. I am obliged to buy finished merchandise.
The Theater Research approach towards marketing is certainly unusual. Hey dude do you want a deal and the speil goes on from there.. But if the speakers sound good what is the big deal. It is like going to a tag sale in a way.
People should remember that writing a bad check will be their problem and stealing is still theft.

Silver Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 764
The big deal is, if someone claims the product they're selling is Brand X and under the box, it's cheap Brand Y, then you can see what the problem might be. To beginners, it sounds like a great deal, but not to audio experts/experienced users.
If you use cars as an example, they're telling you it's BMW car, but under the hood, it has a lawn mower engine. Can you see the disappointment?

I am listening sometimes I might not hear
Unregistered guest
Isaac thanks for the info. You are more capable with the equipment than I am. Aside from the curious selling technique of the white van guys what do you think their equipment compares to on the finished market. The stuff sounds ok to me. Purchase prices are always buyer be wise.

Silver Member

Post Number: 766
If you took their product and compared it to units from audio stores, they probably will rank never the low end. The ones most people pass over. If those white van guys took med level quality units and sold them cheap, you wouldn't have anyone complaining. It's when they take cheap items and say it's top of the line to fool you.
I find that if you have a classical music cd, it will help expose cheap systems easily. Any speaker can make boom noise, but to reproduce an instruement like violin/saxiphone/flute, it'll take much higher grade of amps/speakers. Besides, most people have some idea how they should sound (high school days/concerts). So if you picture that and then listen to a cheap system, you should be able to tell a difference from between something that makes noises and the one that actually produces music.
That is bascially the function of the amp and speakers. To reproduce as close to the original sound as possible.

thanks from you hear me
Unregistered guest
I am not encouraging anyone to buy things blindly. I now have the 1420's. I was in circut city and listened to the $400 apiece speakers there. The stores bass sounded better when the units were cranked up otherwise I did not hear much difference. Perhaps I was luckly or have bad hearing. Now I have a lot of monster cable on my floors. Two thousand dollars apiece for speakers suggest we are fools.

Anonymous

Well I bought some TR-6020 in Manhattan Beach CA from 2 guys in a black navigator. They even had a sales slip of a guys name & address to where they would be installing them in a multi million home in Palos verdes estates. I paid 300.00 for them . They are still in the box, Oh well lesson learned. I'll give them to my ex wife as a xmas gift along witht eh brochure that states $2199.00.

Anonymous

Qns, NY. hey, i've been doing a little research myself, & this post'n came up, so i'm put'n my 2cents in. the deal sounds good 4 the money but here in ny if something is to good 2b tru then it's not!. these guys are sell'n these speakers on Ebay now, so buyr b were!
ps i only read a few of the post'ns on this site, but just giv'n u a heads up.
Chu pamelo

Anonymous

same deal...saskatoon sask...white van...... buy me a beer....some story...just a heads ups...

Silver Member

Post Number: 807
Sounds like they're all part of the "White Van" clan.

Unregistered guest
it happened to my son yesterday, december 12, 2004. he was approached by two men in a mini van metalic beige color at tim hortons donuts north of 401 on hwy 25 in milton, ontario. the crap they scamed him for is called proline accoustics pa 1200 series. scam price 100.00 dollars each. my son bought 4. he feels stupid and violated when i told him about the white van scam which is going on internationally. moral of the story is if it sounds to good to be true it probably is.

Unregistered guest
p.s. here is the link for scam sheild.

http://www.scamshield.com/

Username: Jermdog

Post Number: 2
I know these guys all too well. They ran this scam out of Ohio for a year or so back in the 90's. The main guy's name is Rick. I had my dealings with them on the inside. What they are doing can be considered legal, if they have the proper solicitation permits. This is a big sticky point with these guys, since they don't want to pay money for the permits, and tell the towns/cities what they are actually doing. A "trouble-shooter" from one of Ohio's major news organizations ran a story about these clowns on TV. So, they packed it up and went somewhere else. If you get stopped by these guys, ask for their permit. If they don't have one, get the plate number and call the police. Also, contact your local news and let them know. Believe me, they will do something about it.

By the way, I was not scammed into buying these pieces of crap, but I was scammed into working for them for about one hour... until I figured out what they were doing. Do yourself a favor, don't buy these. I know they get them for $100-$200 a set. And they come in on large semi's.

If your curious enough to find them, try your local papers for jobs describing a "fun atmosphere, good pay and bonuses". They usually run their scam from a industrial complex outside of the major cities.

You see these guys taking advantage of what is commonly know as "impulse buying". That's why they stop you on the street and make you believe you're getting a great deal. They also avoid using certain words like "man" or phrases like "hey man". They say things like "hey guy", or "hey dude".

They even print up their own flyers (the catalogs they show you) and often make claims of doing installs in homes and clubs.

Make sure you use your common sense. In times like these, we consumers are getting bombarded with cheap equipment at cheap prices. Make sure you buy from reputable dealers, and understand their return policies. You wouldn't buy some jewelry or a TV from a guy on the street would you?

Curly_Shuffle
Unregistered guest
Fell for it.
Year: 1992
Guys: Two
Speakers: Called "Acoustic" and they said they were professional studio recording speakers, retailing for $799 each (with flyer)
Method: On a country highway in Illinois, they yelled at my buddy "speakers...on the house". We pulled over in a bowling alley and they hooked em up in their car. "c'mon dude". HOW MUCH? I asked. "Whatever you got". Me and my buddy paid $150 in cash & a 1966 Mantle baseball card. We thought SWEEEEET. Guess what? There were two of us and two speakers...hmmmm...dumb teenagers! We realized we'd been had and toward the end, I felt violated and that I was doing something illegal. The guy's name was RICK, too. I've run into about 20 of these guys since...same white "r*pe" van, same number of dudes, same hook...but now it's mostly "6.1 SURROUND SYSTEMS". Anyway, three guys are slimy, mostly on welfare or supported by a fat ugly hoe and mostly working with stolen azz goods. LATER

Unregistered guest
ahaha I just found the a set of the four hundred watts speakers in a parking lot of a mall .. sweet score .. freeee

Robekra
Unregistered guest
I think I got scammed the best.
Guys pull up to me all excited and stuff. Claim they got a few extra boxes of speakers and want to hide em so the guys who unload the van wont take them for themselves. They keep blabbing for about 5 min before finally they tell me they want to sell them to me. They said they dont want to hide em in the bushes and that this is the best option. They pull out a magazine, called "DVD etc" (dvdetc.com) and show me that they are expensive and that the magazine sells at chapters and such. They got me to pay $400 CDN for one of the crappy sets.

Is there anything that can be done to that magazine? I think thats really unfair that they list ads like that. They should force the company to refund or something. hehe

anonymoussssssssss
Unregistered guest
Also

Im not in the urge to kill these guys or whatever like a few of you but take this as an expensive lesson learned. Though I will do whatever I can to get my money back since these guys had their company name written on the back of the van (now all I gotta do is remember it :D).

anonymoussssssssss
Unregistered guest
Also

Im not in the urge to kill these guys or whatever like a few of you but take this as an expensive lesson learned. Though I will do whatever I can to get my money back since these guys had their company name written on the back of the van (now all I gotta do is remember it :D).

Username: Phx

Post Number: 10
damn we got this same scam in phoenix. big time in tempe, many of my ASU friends have been duped. one of my friends paid $80 for a pair and another paid $400. these speakers blow hard. actually they literally blow you could overpower them with a headphone jack :P the name says it all, you better research these pieces of crap

Silver Member

Post Number: 893
I think what p*ss off so many people is, not the idea of them selling products without license, but getting lied to and getting duped. That reminds me, they almost sound like the politicians here!

Anonymous

For those in Provo, Utah my brother in-law just paid $400 for two tower speakers and theater system. So beware. 12-20-04 He called me and told me about it, I thought It sounded like a good deal, but it may not have been. I just bought a Yamaha Theater system for X-mas paid $289 5.1 600w so I'm curious to see how my bro-law speakers sound. This is a good link hopefuly something can be done about this.

johng
Unregistered guest
Mount Plesant, MI. Two guys in a company truck sold me what they say was a $4,000 system for $350. I know knothing about speakers and i bought them, and now i'm finding this message board.

CLP
Unregistered guest
These guys arent scamming you they are giving you a deal on some speakers. It works just like any other sale. Cars are made and bought buy dealers a hell of alot cheaper than what we buy them for. If the speakers sound good stop complaining or spend like you would on a Jaguar and buy high dollar ones.

CLP
Unregistered guest
Oh, the guy saying that theater research is selling for all the money that it says on the website. Did anyone in this forum buy speakers off of the road guys for that much. probably not. They sell them for the same price or less than the speaker city website does.

Benjamin Franklin
Unregistered guest
What a joke, I see the scammers are paying attention to the thread, probably to see if we're keeping track of where they are.

CLP, the word is out, you're out of business more and more each day. Take your rationalizations and save them for your street hussle.

CLP
Unregistered guest
I am a girl who got some good speakers from them. Of course you are not getting the best speakers out there because you are not spending all the money to get the best. I am just saying it is how sales work. Do you not think my former post was true? Everything you buy someone else got for less money.

Silver Member

Post Number: 922
CLP, nobody is complaining about getting a deal. What most are saying is that they go duped. If a car dealer tells you that he has BMW for sale and you buy it, then later find out inside it had Russian yogo's engine, how would you feel? Would you still say it was a fair deal? I wouldn't think so.
Most of the speakers those guys sell, have $5 speakers inside. It only looks good cosmetically.
Some of them even try to sell you a sealed box with rocks inside. I'm not making this up. It happened at a beach. The crooks ran off as soon as they got paid.

EdmontonChris
Unregistered guest
I was talked into buying these in a future shop parking lot in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada in September. They showed me the brosure and even though I had never heard of TR it appeared like they were ligitimate. He wanted 800, I gave him 500. He followed me to my bank and he opened the box in order to show me that they "weren't just filled with rocks". He then had the nerve to ask me for an extra 20 for beer but I refused. At several points I was scheptical but they gave me their cell number (which turned out to be fake) and coaxed me into thinking they were a good deal. Driving home, I knew some was wrong. I just knew they were going to suck. After opening them i thought they looked awesome, really solidly built. I bought a receiver and was very pleased with their sound. The last two months I have been thinking that they were these awesome speakers. After reading all these posts I do not know what to believe. Although I do realize that this is a rather shady way of doing business, I am curious to whether or not they are any good. They shake my relatively large basement and there is very little distortion when paired with my Yamaha receiver. The rear surrounds and center are acceptable, but I am impressed by the towers. I have the TR-113 suround system. Although I am satisfied with their performance I still can't help feeling scammed. Are they even worth 500$ CAN I payed for them? I am a little disgusted that they would target a naive 16 year old boy, rather low, don't you find?

Silver Member

Post Number: 934
Man that's bad. I bet if you said you only had $150, they would've gladly taken it.
In the future, never ever go to a bank machine with them. You're lucky you even got speakers. Some of them will just rob you.

CLP
Unregistered guest
In these situations I guess you have to be very careful, but some of them are not trying to rip you off they are trying to make a living for themselves. Some, not all, are selling you speakers that are pretty good. I guess just be cautious and understand that you need to check the speakers out and make sure the exact ones you are getting are good. The guys we bought ours from let us hear the exact speakers we bought first and hooked them up for us.

EricNJ
Unregistered guest
Everyone I got my speakers (TR 2800) about 1.5 years ago. I really like them. I got them from homedepot parking lot from a while van in NJ. Thank god I said I can only give $220 for the pair, after I got them I found out about this scam but now that I'm running 120 watt rms per ch through these speakers, I think I got a pretty good deal. I really push them and I haven't popped tweller yet. I'm hoping to get scamed again because I have a 4 speaker system w/2 reveivers each 120 watt rms. I want to get two more for a total club feeling in my house. If ppl paid $200 for a pair I think it is a good deal. Anything more is little too much. I see my speakers in the website above for $300( 5 speakers) but I wouldn't want to pay the shipping. So I'm hoping I can see these guys again. I just want ppl to not to feel bad about this I hardly make on the spot decisions but I took a chance just like the rest of us and I have to live w/ the concequnces but noone said I can't enjoy them meanwhile. Good luck everyone

Anonymous

Haha, this is hilarious. I just got home from traveling during the holidays. Went downstairs to check the mail, and in the mail room there was a big box of suround sound speakers the TR-503 Theater Research speakers with a big sign that read "FREE don't need anymore". I was like whoa! I took them upstairs and hooked them up, and just got online to read a little more about them. AFter reading this thread, I feel ripped off AND I got these for free.

Thankfully Saved
Unregistered guest
well. Im glad I saw this I was considering buying some over e-bay, but now Im going to get a name brand that I know will last. Should E-bay really be letting these products sell? Personally, I think not. I haven't been hit yet, but I am now forewarned. I am also in the Dallas metroplex Also,their website, http://trtheaterresearch.com/, no longer works. hmmm.... Maybe its a clue.
my advise DO NOT BUY STUFF THAT YOU DO NOT KNOW. Do your research ( no pun) before buying anything expensive.

gtrmn01
Unregistered guest
I JUST bought a center and 2 surround speakers off ebay for $25(15 shipping) View Auction. They look like the center and surrounds of the TR-2811 speaker package. Does or will anyone admit they have these and tell me how they sound? I guess I kinda got caught up in the 'hype' after looking at their website and though I got a steal. I know i'm only out $40, but hopefully they will be worth it.

gtrmn01
Unregistered guest
EDITED POST (CORRECTED LINK)

JUST bought a center and 2 surround speakers off ebay for $25(15 shipping) View Auction They look like the center and surrounds of the TR-2811 speaker package. Does or will anyone admit they have these and tell me how they sound? I guess I kinda got caught up in the 'hype' after looking at their website and though I got a steal. I know i'm only out $40, but hopefully they will be worth it.

Jeffro
Unregistered guest
Dammit. I just won a bid to buy TR-2900 speakers on e-bay for $170 US plus shipping. I noticed the web site looked cheap for a high end speaker company so I looked up the name and found this right away. Does anyone know the deal with e-bay? Do I have to buy these now? This was the first time I used e-bay. They sent me an e-mail requesting me to pay through pay pal. Can someone give me some advice?

Username: Jesse77

Houston, Tx Us

Post Number: 1
i should write a song called the "bent me over blues". i am one of those who got a real a&% ramming with no lube. i bought the tr-502"hard core professional surround sound speakers" from some trailer trash in a blue van and a stripper probably trying to score some crack(Houston/tx. i believe all of us learned a lesson of self greed, but carma will get these fu#%ers one day.Burn in hell maggots.i have nothing to say about the manufatures except why put the wrong price and info on your box.

Ace007
Unregistered guest
Just like the countless post's I have read, I was also approched and "sucker'ed" into buying this Theater Research TR-8200 series system. After reading these posts I was a little worried about the purchase I had made. The only problem I have is that 99% of the posts I have read only have people ranting and raving about being ripped off. Most hadn't even hooked them up. Well I'm more interested in how they perform than the fact that I bought them from a van.

Instead of being pissed off about this I decided to test them. I listened to the sound of the JVC speaker system I have, then hooked up this system in it's place. I watched the same movie and listened for the quality with my own ears. I was not upset at all after listening to them. The sound was 10fold better than the 5 piece JVC system. In some people's eyes they may be crap because they came from a van. In my eyes I spent a very small amount of money and have sound that sounds, in my personal opinion, high quality. I haven't cranked them up loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear it yet, and I'm not sure how they will stand up to this type of punishment. I also don't plan to. For as loud as is neccissary I think they sounded great for the price I paid.

For all you out there who think you've been ripped off, test them yourself and make your own opinion. Of the 1% of posts I have read that actually have reviews of the equipment, I have not heard a single bad post. If some of you, who are completely against this system, have actually tested them out for yourself and had problems please post the problems you had and why they are garbage. It doesn't help us consumers to say they are crap and not explain why.

If your gonna make a post about this, make an educated post that actually helps people.

Username: Koprophet

Northern VA

Ok does anyone know if the cherry wood is actually real wood? If so I will be more than happy in purchasing a set off of someone at a reasonable price. I am into taking out the paper cone woofers and upgrading them into something worthy like JBL, or Klipsch. Thanks!

If they are that pressed wood garbage, or that vinyl that has the wood appearance I am not interested. thanks again..

G

Username: Jtorres

Spring Hill, FL USA

Listen...NO ONE has been suckered...I sell Theater Research Speakers.
I have my price list, Catalog, and ALL information to prove it.

I recently came across someone in my city that was selling out of a "White Explorer", and I looked at the speakers, we exchanged some names of people we know at Theater Research, and called my Sales Representative at TR, she confirmed him to be a Reseller.

See the problem TR sells them at full MSRP on their site, so when you come across a guy on the street selling for $200+, they got through some made up sales pitch to obtain a sale, people then later think these are fakes.

Well, the GOOD news is: THAY ARENT FAKE!

I too sel them for $300+, that is because of our wholesale price.

How easy is it to sell a set of speakers out of a van or car for $1000 on the street, NOT EASY....much easier to make a small profit and sell at a much lower price.

So with that said: GIVE IT UP already, the internet is full of these white van stories.

Listen you can sell your stuff out of wherever you choose to, for however much you choose to.

I particularly will give my contact information to any buyer.

Thanks,
Jon Torres

boog
Unregistered guest
I bought a pair of TR1400's in Cullman Alabama a year or 2 ago. I got them fo $200 and figured i was getting scammed for I too got the whole sales pitch, however, i figured there's always another sucker. If they are crap or are hot, i'll pass them off to the next sucker. My speakers sound pretty good, and i've worked with all kinds of pro audio equipment. So i've kept them. They aren't great speakers, but they are worth a couple hundred for a pair of nice looking good sounding towers.

Reality
Unregistered guest
Look at the bright side. Most Speaker guys are bettering themselves by selling out of a van. Many of them are ex-cons who might other wise be robbing your house or selling you and your children drugs. Be happy they're trying to earn a living legally. Believe it or not many of them have business liscenses to sell their wares. Maybe you should look in the mirror when pointing the finger. It's the greed of many that keeps these guys in business. If you're one of the greedy peolple who didn't mind buying something that you had to feel was stolen, Why would you cry and point the blame at someone else. Take responsibility for your actions and consider it a cheap lesson, with not such a bad result. You got what you paid for, and you didn't end up in jail for buying stolen goods.

GimmeABreak
Unregistered guest
This is the biggest wad of rationalized crap I've ever seen someone try to spew. Next you'll try saying that a murderer did his victim a favor because they don't have to pay taxes anymore. What a joke, and how sad that the crooks who execute this blatant, criminal scam are so worried that they continue to both monitor and make anonymous posts to this thread acting as if they were supportive onlookers. Truly comical, if not a bit pathetic....

Gold Member

Post Number: 1130
"You got what you paid for, and you didn't end up in jail for buying stolen goods."
I don't know what planet you're from, but here, you don't go to jail for buying stolen goods. You just lose the product. It's a different story if you asked someone to steal it for you.
If people got what they paid for, there wouldn't be much complaining.

Satisfied Customer
Unregistered guest
It's nice to see someone who uses thier head for more than a hat rack. Thankyou "Reality" for for some intellectual stimulation. Most people on this board sound like 15 year olds. I agree that people should look closely at themselves before judging others. If more people would, our country would be more progressive. I bought 4 TR-2800 towers for my Sony 500 watt Digital AC-3 Surround Receiver. I knew I was taking a chance. I had a strong feeling this guy was just a salesman. He even had a hook-up in his van, and it sounded like he had a large amp. When he cranked up one speaker it sounded like a concert in the paking lot where he approached me. I was still nervous until I got home and plugged them in. I would compare these to Infinity. They sound alot better than the Sony speakers I replaced. I wish I had gotten a number from this guy. I have 2 friends who want to buy mine. I know it probably sounds like I'm one of those salesguys. I'm not. Good Luck to All

TheyreDesperateNow
Unregistered guest
Sales must be getting hit, cause these rationalization posts are getting more desperate and more frequent. Whats the matter, steet goons? Not getting enough sales to buy your crack and party with your sisters anymore? Poor babies...go sell your pressboard papercone crap to the whinos...

HiJinx
Unregistered guest
Maybe thry're obseving MLK Day

Spring Hill, FL USA

I SELL Theater Research Speakers EVERY DAY!LEGALLY - I AM A RESELLER - not a con artist!

As I said before, and i'll say it again: THESE AREN'T FAKE--hell, if I had a van I too would sell out of the back of it.

There is however a manufacturer out there that mimicked TR Speakers, and they called them "DR", so if yours say "DR" they are not fake, they are from a company that basically "copied" TR's.

Quit your whinning, no one got scammed - in any case you got a great deal, everyone in here posting all their whinning that these are crap - YOUR full of crap, you are just some ignorant person who wants to jump in on this band wagon of whinning - when in fact you dont even own a pair.

I sell these DIRECTLY from TR - which by the way their site doesnt look cheap, and IS WORKING, every website owner is entitled to have server downtime, without ignorant people saying "oh my god I was scammed" - get over it.

The truth is as mentioned before TR sells them for FULL MSRP, WE the RESELLERS get a RESELLER prices! and pass the savings on to YOU: the WHINNING consumer - if your gonna whine DONT BUY!

And if you buy, be loyal at least and stick up for those of us who sold them to you and tell everyone else the TRUTH.

Because I have TR speakers ALL OVER MY HOUSE - and they sound FANTASTIC - if they were crap...I WOULD NOT SELL THEM - but that is because I HAVE MORALS/ETHICS.

If you bought from me, you would have ALL my contact info - so I can hear back from you telling me how awesome these speakers are, all my previous customers I tell to call me, email me or something - but I like to hear from my customers when they buy from me.

If you need any info, you are welcome to contact me directly.

Thanks,
Jon

Music Fills the Void
Unregistered guest
I was approached at a car wash here in Kansas City a couple of weeks ago by a guy in a dark color mid 90's Jeep. He gave me the same dog and pony show as everyone else. I knew it was a scam (leaning more towards stolen), but after looking at and inspecting the speakers, I thought if I could get them cheap, then I'm not really out anything if they don't turn out to be the greatest. The guy was pushing a pair of 2810 towers and a TR7010 home surround system. Obviously he tried to sell them to me for more money than I was willing to pay. I offered him $375 for all of it and took them home with a smile on my face :-)

I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy them from the guys on the street, as I don't think that's a smart thing for anyone to do. If you're interested in a pair, check around on ebay.

What I would like to tell anyone looking at these is that they sound good and look VERY good. I haven't hooked the 7010's up yet, but have the 2810 towers hooked up as my left and right front speakers with an Onkyo receiver and Warfadale center and surrounds and they really sound good. And they LOOK even better.

I've never seen anything that sounds or looks better for the money.

This is not a for or against post. Just an informational one to let people know that the speakers work, they sound decent, and LOOK GREAT! You really can't ask for much more for the money.

Username: Tacobellscam

Well I guess im not the only one. Today while driving my car through Taco Bell in Racine,Wi a couple of guys were yelling out the window for me to stop and as much as i regret it i did. They gave me the same speech as everyone else that the were over ordered for a customer and they need to get rid of them. after showing me they retail at 1,999.oo they said i could have them for a grand. I said do i look like i carry 1000 dollars around with me they said no they understand and they would cut me a deal. They gave me the routine that they just sold a pair and they got a grand for them. Well after hitting me up for 300.00 for model #2810 I feel like a fool. So basically im writing to let you know there in Wi. and Il.. They were driving a Land Rover with an Illinois plate # of 396-7198 so if these guys are getting kicks out of reading these messages get a kick out of this i work for a company that works with Dept. Of Transportaion and before you know it i will know your address and beleive me your vehicle will have alot more then 300 dollars worth of DAMAGE. EXPECIALLY IN A LAND ROVER MAN WINDSHIELDS AND LIGHTS AND TIRES ARE GOING TO COST U ALOT OF MONEY BELEIVE ME I WILL FIND U. i WONDER HOW MUCH A NEW PAINT JOB WILL COST. YOU GOT ME BUT I WILL DEFINETELY fockYOU

Unregistered guest
I came accross your posts on the internet and read them all. I bought 4 TR-0212 digital loud speakers and they sound great. Have had them for about a year now. I have a harman/kardon reciever,furman power conditioner pl-plus d, furman voltage regulator ar 1215, behringer eq fbq 3102, vitrulizer pro dsp2024p , dual compressor/limiter Ashly clx-52, ultra bass pro ex-1200,and 2 crown xls 602 amps rated at 370 w @8-ohm a chanene, 2 crown xls 202 running bridged 500 w @ 4-ohm into 2 polk 12 subs for more bass kick. Thats 1480 watts thats running the loud speakers and crown dont make crap. I can crank this set up almost all the way befor the amps start clipping and the speakers take it. I payed 500 for all for 250 a set off the internet and In my oppinion they a well worth that. Have had a lot of speakers and equpment and for the money these things are worth it. Thats my oppinion on these things for the money I payed I think their worth it. Took the speakers apart box is built ok did a little modification to the inside. Driver mid and horn look respectable. When i take them apart again to rewire the inside of the box I will test each component on a bench setup that we have for testing audio components and see what the limits are. Have to find out where to get replacements to install back in the box. If you dont believe me I can send you detailed pics of the complete setup.

Benjamin Franklin
Unregistered guest
Isn't it amazing that all the fake endorsements for this scam come from anonymous/unregistered posters?

Things that make you go hmmmm....

God, when will these scamsters quit getting so desperate as to keep posing as "satisfied customers" (suckers) in hopes of diffusing the exposure. You can't outrun information, Guido. The more folks know about your scam, the smaller your pool of potential victims. Give it up, you're not swaying anybody with your flood of phony endorsements...jeez...

Unregistered guest
I came across your posts on the internet. I thought I would let you know my experience with these speakers. I purchased 2 sets of the TR-0212 digital loud speakers because I had never herd of Theater Research before and wanted to try them out. I paid $290 for a set of 2 off the internet a total of around $650 with shipping. In my opinion they sound great for the money. My setup consists of a Harman/Kardon AVR125, Furman PL-Plus DM power conditioner, Furman AR-1215 voltage regulator, Behringer Ultragraph Pro FBQ 3102, Virtulizer Pro DSP 2024D, Ultrabass Pro EX 1200, Ashly CLX-52 Dual channel compressor/limiter, 2 crown XLS 602 running at 370w per channel at 8-ohm and 2 crown XLS 202 bridged into 500w @ 4-ohm to run both polk subs. That's a total of 1480 watts running the loudspeakers and crown doesn't make crap. I have had this setup for about a year now and have had no problems with the speakers. They take every bit I put at them. Am able to take the volume up to about 90%-93% before the amps start clipping with no distortion from the speakers. I took the boxes apart to inspect them when I got them. The boxes aren't made to bad did a little modification to them. Components look average, haven't been able to test each component yet, when I take them apart to rewire the boxes I am going to run each on a bench setup we have to test audio equipment. Just figured that I would put my experience. For the money I paid they were definitely respectable. If you have any questions let me know.

Unregistered guest
Isn't it amazing that all the fake endorsements for this scam come from anonymous/unregistered posters?

Things that make you go hmmmm....

God, when will these scamsters quit getting so desperate as to keep posing as "satisfied customers" (suckers) in hopes of diffusing the exposure. You can't outrun information, Guido. The more folks know about your scam, the smaller your pool of potential victims. Give it up, you're not swaying anybody with your flood of phony endorsements...jeez...

***Noticed your post after mine, did not think it went through the first time thats why its under yours again. Would like to add if you think that I am a scamster you got the wrong person bud. Just thought I would add my experience. Since i just came accross this post about an hour ago. As for satisfied customer yes i am for what I payed for them. If you dont believe me on the setup I can send you pics. with the f*^@ing serial no. of all the equipment. i own a automotive customizing shop her in mentor OH, and deal alot with car audio, we are a deal for alpine, polk, diamond audio, JL audio, sony and mcintosh. We are a mecp certified shop alond with our automotive repai facility right next door. Which is also owned by me. As for trying to sell someone some stupid speakers thats not me like I stated I just thought I would add my oppinion on these products. I dont sell speakers to anybody out of a van or an explorer. Have no need to.

extremetoyzz
Unregistered guest
If you dont believe what I have to say you can contact me at extremetoyzz@aol.com, or our shop no. is 1-440-974-0704 Extreme Toyzz LTD / 5 Star Auto Care. if we do not answer press option 4 on the machine prompt.
Was just wondering if anybody has had good experiences with these. Everybody seems to be saying their horible except for a couple people on this post. I think for the money their worth it it just takes power to drive them. Has anybody on this post actully bought them and tried them or did one person say they were bad and everybody follow. There are all kinds of posts on the internet about speakers/amps/recievers/cars/lawnmowers etc. You cant please everybody. If you have any questions like I stated in previous posts dont be afraid to ask. ****And no again I am not a salemen for TR I have plenty of other stuff to deal with. Thanks

raymound stone
Unregistered guest
SCAMMED IN AZ i came out of the bank and BAM the guy in the black suv got me , but what he doesn't know is that i got him , i'll come back to this board in a few days and post his license plate , in arizona you can obtain all info on a person from the license for a fee of 25 dollars . i'll post his plate here for anyone looking for a little payback HOWEVER before you admisnter payback make sure you catch the person in the van in the ACT don't go paying back the WRONG person . the male was white roughly 20-27 5'10 ish with some sort eyebrow ring chubby about 180 i think . staytuned for the plate i'd post it now but i dont have my cell with me . ALSO you CAN have each and EVERY one of theses scam artists proscuted under the law lol don't call the cops call the IRS they are proably all commiting tax fraud by not paying federal and state taxes on their sales , sure its a reach but you have to use the law.

kc0433
Unregistered guest
I noticed Theater Research speakers after shopping for home audio products over the internet and Ebay. I was curious as to why these products were being sold with such reduced prices, so I decided to do some research. I ran across this thread, and also http://trtheaterresearch.com/ (which seems to be legit). I've read the majority of the posts on this site. Obviously (no matter how sh*tty) this is a real company, supplying a real product, with real employees. Although the latter seem to be quite ellusive, with exception to the above Mr. Jon Torres. While the product might not be exactly what it is stated to be; I don't find that to be the most troubling part. I can't say I've ever heard of an ethical, well-respected company and/or salesman (if there is such a thing) running down and/or yelling at potential customers on the highway or in parking lots to make a sale. Maybe the uproar is because of the way TR and it's resellers are conducting business, supposedly leaving fake phone numbers, following people to the local ATM or bank, selling their wares out of automobiles, or asking for beer money since they gave their customer such a 'good deal' etc., etc. Obviously everyone in this circle is taught to look for suckers and trained this same way since the identical practice is used on almost everyone. Why would you want to buy something from people like this? I can't say I would purchase anything that would be of significant value to me this way, but I also don't purchase cologne and perfume from the guy yelling at me in the parking lot with the duffle bag either, just because,.... "dude, it smells good I promise". All the cliches here seem to be true...If it's too good to be true it probably is, If it smells like sh*t and looks like sh*t you shouldn't have to taste it to really believe that it's sh*t. Until the company finds a more ethical and respectful way to do business then people should stay away from them.

Anonymous

lol, got hit in Hollywood.
The whole "dirty white van" deal and everything,
But I thought to myself, "what the hell"
The worst that can happen is that I wasted some money.

Anonymous

lol, got hit in Hollywood.
The whole "dirty white van" deal and everything,
But I thought to myself, "what the hell"
The worst that can happen is that I wasted some money.

Spring Hill, FL USA

Post Number: 3
This forum is the biggest waste of webspace on the NET.
You all are just full of $hit: "I got hit in Hollywood", "scammed in AZ".
What a bunch of losers...You just wish you could be a reseller, instead you spend all day reading these stupid posts from your fellow losers crying you got scammed.
Instead of crying, just go to the damn cops, so you can feel like an idiot, or better yet call Theater Research.
What a pack of morons - none of you ever got scammed, you are just followers, you read one post about some idiot claiming he got scammed - so everyone else joins in "ooh me too I got scammed" "me too" - LOSERS

Tell you what if any of you morons out there can afford a set of theater Research speakers directly from TR, buy a set, then buy a set of one of these LEGAL white van resellers, gut the speakers and compare, you bunch of worthless morons.
I want to know what is there so "fraudalent" about selling legitamate merchandise from your vehicle - quit crying and explain that.

Oh how I wish to have a line up of all you morons in front of me, i'd shove a set of TR 2810 so far up your a$$ so you have a REAL reason to say these speakers are full of $hit.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1353
Glad you weren't angry Jon Torres!

Anonymous

Hey Johnny, aren't you a classy guy. No reason to get upset, perhaps anger management sessions would be wise. I own a set of TR speakers and have them paired up with a Yamaha receiver. They definately are not worth anywhere near the list price, but hey what can you do. They look better than they sound. There is no denying that their sales techniques are rather shady (such as providing false contact information) and it is obvious that you are a salesman. They are not a terrible product and are well crafted, but they are not audiophile quality and do not rank with reputed brands. The towers perform respectably but my center channel and surrounds are sort of weak. It's not the fact that they are selling from vans that bothers me, it's what they tell the consumer in order to make a sale.

0_o
Unregistered guest
i just got some off a guy in lansing, MI. got he 7010's. seemed kinda shady but i got out of it with only giving him $180. i hooked one speaker up just to test it when i got home and it didn't sound too bad. i figure even if i don't like em i can sell em off on ebay for what i got em for or at least a tiny loss. i plan on testing em some more tomorrow probably. it was some guy in a blazer or tahoe looking thing with mid 90's looking aftermarket rims and a brush guard. kinda brown/goldish colored.

FL USA

Post Number: 4
I never said they were worth the list price, as a matter of fact..they arent.
But there seems to be a bunch of MORONS in here.
The same morons in here, its funny, email me to ask about pricing...if your gonna cry dont email me and ask for pricing.
If you are truly interested I'd be glad to help.

And for all you other idiots, go call Inspecter Gadget or Columbo...no better yet Danny Williams form Hawaii Five-O: "book'em Danno"....you guys crack me up.

JWINTERS
Unregistered guest
First, Im going to start by saying that I read this thread BEFORE I purchased some TR604's off of EBAY. Here's my take on the whole "scam", first for about $300 for a full 6pc surround system what do you expect?? The speakers actually come with a warranty from a real company with real contact info, and I got mine from an ebay power seller with real contact info. The speakers look very nice and sound pretty good, but they are obviously not $4000 speakers, then again I never really expected $4000 speakers. It seems to me that Theater Research put up a web site with extremely over-blown prices so their re-sellers could show their customers what they "are saving", just look that the plasma tv for like 1500. But for $300 its the best deal you are going to find, Id just advise getting them on EBAY instead of from a white van, you buy crack from the back of a van not speakers.

Anonymous

Dear mr Torres i got taken advantage of and that really pissed me off , so of course i'm going to leave a thread and tell everyone i know so THEY don't get taken advatage of as well . I don't like being lied too and this companys dishonesty offends me .If i ever catch the guy who sold me those speakers i'm going to adminster justice to him right then and there in the parking lot and he will sevrve as an example to all others who would seek to cheat others . i urge you my fellow americans to extract justic upon these types of people , i only say this because we have no other recourse , the police can't do anything because this skirts the line i do however belive the justice court can do something about it . i intend to pursue the matter until i destory this company and put everyone of these scam artists out of bussiness .as far as me putting the plate of the guy in az i have found out that you can't get any personal info from the dmv , but i promise to anyone out there who might be engaging in this scam .....justice will find you sooner or later .

Maico
Unregistered guest
Hello websters,

Just to let you all know for the nth time, I was at Bank of America today at around 2 pm or so and some white trash hill billies (one looked like Sammy Haggar from Van Halen) aproached me with the same appealing offer. I was suckered into paying $300 dollars for a set of these. However, from all these ads that I have been reading, I looks like these guys are not the only ones doing these stunts. Anyhow, just thought I share my experience.

tsulami
Unregistered guest
I work at a pawn shop in Lawrence, KS
A customer came in with a 5.1 surround theater research system
I see all kinds of speakers from aiwa to $10,000
martin logans and these things are sh*t the box he had, said $2200 I googled them and got this forum and a bunch of scam alert stuff
now he's going to hurt the guy who sold them to him out of the white van in Kansas City
I would not want to meet the business end of this guy
these things are junk

pennyroyaltea37
Unregistered guest
Ya i bought a pair of tr-9500 down by carrowinds in north carolina and these dudes in a white van pull up and asked if i wanted to buy some speakers so i was like ya dude you gotta suck my dick tho.....the guy looked at me and was like ok ill suck your dick but you have to pay me 200 for these speakers....i said noway jose and said 100 and a hummer.....the dude looked at me again and was like we have a deal and shook my hand.......the speakers are the same quality of the hummer....it blows........thank you faggets in the white van.

The big dog
Unregistered guest
i bought a pair of 1610s and a 503 surround setup
from a good friend of mine he told me the whole story from what he pays to what they retail for and even how much he sells them for
I still bought them they sound great look awesome
and id like to see a better deal on similar systems They are well worth a few hundred dollars
NOTHING is actually worth retail value yet you still buy it right?

highfidelity57
Unregistered guest
Hey, if these things look so great, but play like crap... did anybody think to just replace the drivers and crossovers?? I don't know about you guys, but I'd gladly pay 150 bucks for the case if they look like they do on the site. I'd just replace the drivers with a different company's speakers - go to www.partsexpress.com - and use the speakers... anybody thought of that?? geez... just because you guys got ripped off with a speaker that doesn't work doesn't mean it will NEVER work... come on, guys - use your brains!!

Anonymous

Thank you all for stopping me!

I was looking on ebay for tower speakers and I saw these... wow I said to myself and looked on their site and all that. Oh and a couple ebay guys say "check out robbreport.com for more info / reviews" and they say bad stuff about them!

I then googled and found this, but looking at the pics on ebay of some ACTUAL units, I must say the cabinets look good, but I do NOT want to see the insides. Go to this link
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem%26item%3D5752695561&indexURL=6&pho toDisplayType=2
and take a look at that picture... theres like 25 wires tangled up right inside the port... good design right? Yuck... anyways thank you!

Unregistered guest
I just wanted to post that I bought a set of the TR-1610's and 1611's. I had read this long page before I bought them, but I was willing to give them a shot in my new Home Theater room. Heck what could I loose. A few hundred dollars sure, just pass them down the one of my other rooms or the garage if they were that bad.

Anyway I got them and right off the bat I had a problem no sound out of the TR-1610's. I took them a part and found the problem. Fixed them and started listening to them. I put them next to my Defenitive speakers I have. I have to say they sound good. Not as good, but very good for the price.

My complaint is that they are by wired but the subs are not crossed over very well at all. I've acutally disconnected the 10" subs cause they had to much voice coming out of them and it was throughing off the soundstage.

Just wanted to give you my opinion. Worth the 380 I paid for them yes. Best speakers I've every owned no, but I didn't expect that to be the case either.

Anonymous

It's also hiting the region of southern ontario. Recent case in Windsor, ON.

deg
Unregistered guest
i was approched in Gatineau,qc (ottawa) at a strip club couple of weeks ago the guy was selling home teater surround sound systems for 300$ and on the box it was written its worth 2499$ euro. they had a white suv

Teresa
Unregistered guest
My husband was approached yesterday in Morton, IL, while he was leaving work around 5:00 pm, works for the large tractor company. Two men in a late 90's model white van with some sob story about how it was an extra and wasn't on their delivery list for the day and if they took it back to the warehouse the guys with more seniority would be able to buy it at half price and they didn't think it was fair. My husband thought it was too good to pass up and paid $200 for a suround sound system that supposedly retails for $2999 (TR-503). One was a white male early 20's, tall and slender build. Other male was short, dark complexion, with a goatee, had skin discoloration on his neck. Had the work uniforms and everything. One of the males made mention that they were located in Schaumburg, IL. My husband thought everything seemed legit but I have a feeling these speakers probably weren't the best investment he could've made with $200. We plan to resell them because we don't know how to do the rewiring and don't want to put another $300 into this system to get it to sound decent. Sounds like this scam has made its way to the midwest, just wanted to give fair warning to anyone in Central Illinois to be on the lookout.

tweetledeedum
Unregistered guest
my buddie just had the same thing happen to him in montana 2 guys in a blue suburban pulled next to tried to sell them for all we had in our pockets my buddie bought two for 250 which seemed like a goood deal since they were worth 2500 on the box the said they just got back from doing a construction job and had some left over some the had like 10 the said that we owe them some beer, women, and lobster this weekend cause it was such a deal but listening to everyones words its not all it seems F****** a**h**** i guess anything to get a buck

Bronze Member
Username: Geekbike

Post Number: 55
Falobalopsibatagoomablipblap.

Unregistered guest
I just got screwed over in the parking lot of my bank in Eau Claire Wisconsin...Some guy pulled up next to me said he was supposed to make a drop in Minneapolis in two hours and needed to sell some of the extras...Ofcourse I had to see what he was selling...Box said they were worth 2,999 dollas a piece but he would give me the pair for 275 dollas...figured it they were probably just stolen and I couldnt pass that offer up...well I got home and hooked em up...and yea they f'n blow. B*******!! He said he was from Rockford Ill. and he was the plates and uniform to prove it...and he had the Theatre research thing on the side of late 90's gray van...BE ON THE LOOK OUT...THESE DOODES ARE A*******!!

IH8TRPHUKERS!
Unregistered guest
They are in the Daytona Beach area too in a Black Suburban 2 latin guys. Watch out, I told them I wasnt interested after his whole sales routine and he threatend me physicaly for "Wasteing his time". Bunch of parolies trying to make a buck even if they have to do it old school mobster style. Not cool in my book. These punks need to get a real job and stop scammin.

Hardcore kid from TExas
Unregistered guest
oh F*** they scammed my dad like 4 days ago in Forth Worth with the TR-9500's, he paid $150 and he was planning on selling them to me, so I checked the net on how much they were worth just to be on the safe side because the box says $1499. And im thinking, "it's 2 fukkin good to be true", so i searched and ended up here finding out the sad thruth. Now there is no F#@*ing way im buying them from him, he's gonna have 2 cheat some Mexican out of his money now. Can anyone give me an estimate on how much they are actually worth.

P.S he got a F*ck3n bollocking from my mom after I told her about the crap that he bought.

maron
Unregistered guest
the guys are hittin up winter park and orlando florida now, black suburban. i got stopped at a gas station. the guy said he worked for Ocean Sound and was wearing a faded t-shirt from there and said they got too many in and he had to get rid of them before he went to meet with his boss. he has his story together and sounds like he knows what hes talkin about, even has a little catalog that he'll show you the speakers in.

Username: Hardyboy21

I hate to admit it but I just got scammed by some a**les in Goodyear AZ. Same deal, two white guys, one of the names is Brant Holloway cell number 405-308-0750, his buddy who had an Oklohoma drivers license was Ryan. Even had his own business cards saying he was an installer for STFO. Sold me the TR-604 speakers at a bank, I totally got suckered. They were driving a black Chevrolet Avalanche.

TRSUCKS
Unregistered guest
same sh*t yesterday in Montreal
a black suburban with some HArley-Davidson logo

FBN6649

Anonymous

This is an interesting discussion, many strong opinions. I would like to express mine. I will preface this by saying I have read many forum regarding these speakers and already own Mirage OM-5's OM-R2's OM-C2, so I do know what a quality speaker sounds like. With that said I bought a set (fronts, rears, center, sub) of TR 604's. I bought the set on ebay for $180.00. This is how you need to look at it: If you expect you are buying top of the line equipment, yes you got ripped off. If you are looking to purchase a simple, nothing fancy set of speakers these are fine. Look, 180.00 dollars for a full set of speakers that you know going into it are not top of the line, thats touch to beat.

Unregistered guest
Looks like this speaker brand has an eBay seller named pnkflyd5648 and has many varieties of these for sale all dirt cheap and with a very hefty MSRP like $3999. Also refers buyers to a website that supposedly represents and supports sales of these speakers.

http://www.ibizcarts.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT&Store_Code=thr

Jeff

j santini
Unregistered guest
This scam has been around at least since 1985. My brother got taken back then They were also called Acoustic Research. They say they're liquid cooled and a bunch of other crap. That's what you guys all get buying stuff out of a van.

hardyHARhar
Unregistered guest
got me to. it was about 9:30 in the morning. i was walking in to wal mart and 2 guys and a woman were getting out of a big blue suburban that had a trailer hitched to it. they stopped me and asked me if i was into home audio. i told them that i was actually looking into purchasing home audio in the future. he said "well it must be your lucky day"...i said "ha ha...i dont get those"..and he told me to "come check this out"...he said he just bought a bunch of inventory from a high end dealer. he said there MSRP was $10,000.99. he said he could get that for fractions of that. and ya know what i said......

nothing you dumb @sses...who the f*ck would buy speakers from the back of a van or in a bank parking lot?????stupid mother f*ckers thats who! you all deserved to get scammed just for being so stupid! next time use your head.

Username: Jctcom

I don't understand why there are so many posts here from people who think they got scammed and so few of you who have actually plugged them in to try them?? Who buys a set of speakers and then goes to a web site to whine about it before they even plug them in? Would be nice to see more reviews from people who have actually plugged them in and listened to them. Who cares how, where and when they sell them. I can't seriously believe there are that many people who have buyers remorse before even trying what they bought. I have ordered a set of the TR-2810 + TR-2811 off of E-bay and am looking forward to getting them. I don't for a second believe they have ever sold them for $4000.00 as they are listed on the web site. But for $225.00 I figure there really isn't much to lose. I have had some very reasonable and friendly communication from Shannon who sold the speakers to me and am looking forward to trying them out when they arrive. And for those of you who bought them out of the back of a Van you couldn't possibly have thought they were worth all that much unless you thought they were stolen so please more usefull reviews and less whining about having been scammed etc...
I will post an actual review after I have had a chance to listen to them.

Just my 2 cents so far
Carl

Anonymous

I bought a pair of 10's in the plexiglass box with the neon for $100. The guy was in ft worth in a blue minivan with florida plates. If I see him, im getting my money back WITH INTEREST!

Username: Johnnysanz3

Post Number: 4
seriously, why would u buy something out of a van and some shady dudes?

miffed
Unregistered guest
it is pretty halarious that there are that many suckers out there. i feel bad for you guys but COME ON - use your brain!

numbnutts
Unregistered guest
Only thing I would buy off a dude laid up in a parking lot in a van is a sack of green bud. I guess the dude from the circus is right, there is a sucker born every minute. By the way, I got a bridge in brooklyn. it is old, but it is a classic...

yepimdumb
Unregistered guest
F*ck just got hit in ohio TR 2840's you know they do
sound good though. I am worried about them blowing
now. So in retrospect i wouldnt buy them. If i see
the van again i will put sugar in the f*cking tank
and believe all of us gullible people should do the same. It is our right no, our duty to do unto others. Damn Damn Damn. On the other hand they sound damn good so far.

Anonymous

My son just got ripped off with the TR-604 Home theater. And we are located in Tampa...When I went to his house to see this fabulous deal I knew right away it was a rip off.The speakers look cheap. So got on the computer and sure enough I was right. This is a $200 well learned lesson. That's a lot of money for a 21 yr old kid

Unregistered guest
All u cry babies need to just go home and hook it up dont believe the hype. besides half of you monkeys dont even know good sound anyways. You fukkers should feel lucky to have run across a speaker guy because you know when you guys parted ways you know you felt good about it. so consider the money that you make these guys is for the delivery fee. STFO

Unregistered guest
I was so high on the good feeling that I got a great deal until now. But hey as the saying goes you get what you pay for. does anyone know how to hook up the TR-2830's?

scobad
Unregistered guest
Been a LONG-TIME since I posted here. Over a year and a half. I still have my TR2010 and still plays perfect. What is going on in here? Again, I read a sheepload of post of people who BUY-with NO TRY? Why?
If you go to BESYBUY and pick up speakers for 600 bucks I am sure they are good. If you buy a TR set for 250..They are fine too. I bought directly from Jack Cline and it was fine. I friend bought a air too. We both like them. It is taste and cost that attract us. If they were NO good, I only lost $300. The whole van thing is sad. They ahave a product that is mid-low in quality and low in price...Still suite me and my KENWOOD VR-2090 just fine.

I did however just order the MOfo 12" Woofer and will use the original Woofer box for it. I will let you know how that comes out !!

Questions about them? Wnat pic's to see I use them?

scott.badger@siemens.com

Username: Smokingmadtree

HAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA.......i love it....i mean yea i do this..all day long..5 days a week..and its awesome..cuz im a hustla...what i love is...some guy pulls up in a benz...ends up giving us a grand....for something we got for free out the back of our mini van..i mean these are suppose to be the smart citizens...and their...buying some stuff off a back of a van..that we just got for free..i mean come on man..u really think 2 young kids dressed in street clothes...in a mini van are riding around wit thousands of dollars worth of stuff .....and they just happen to get one for free....hahahhaha...YALL DESERVE WHAT YOU GET....DUMBFUCKS....I HAVE NO PROBLEM TAKING UR MONEY IF UR WILLING TO GIVE IT TO ME...WE NEED TO EAT TOO...WE WORK VERY HARD FOR OUR MONEY...WE ACTUALLY DONT GET SLAVED FOR OUR PAYCHECKS..WE MAKE WHAT WE WANT...THOUSANDS A WEEK..ITS GREAT....SO NEXT TIME...WE PULL UP....BUY SOME MORE stuff....PLEASE....WE ALWAYS GET EM FREEE EVERYDAY ITS SWEET LOL......keep on hustling.....STFO

Username: Smokingmadtree

and yea....these speakers aint junk..well the ones i sell aint....they sound actually good as hell...specailly the TI-1650 and all the other ones...u just need good stuff for em....

somethingredicolousihavetomakeup
Unregistered guest
yeaaa 400th post

yeahboy
Unregistered guest
Gee Money, you ever pulled up to my a$$ and tried to run that game, I would first b!tch slap ya then p!mp slap ya, then gank all yo money fool.

Unregistered guest
hi ive just bought a sony head unit 4 x 50w i just wondered would i be able to plug sony (xs-f693n) 220w 6x9 (45watt rated power)into the head unit

Sonia
Unregistered guest
YEAH THEY ARE IN MONTREAL NOW. I PAID $250 FOR TR-1400. I GOT PUNKED.HA

Anonymous

Well, against my better judgement I got hit up to today for $450. I knew something was wrong, but still didn't listen to myself. I admit I haven't hooked up the speakers yet, but if they work I guess I'll just have to be glad with that. I thought I was a smart person, but even the smartest of us can be stupid at times. In my story, it was two guys in a black suburban, I believe, and I was given the same story. And, yes, the guy even had a magazine with TR speakers advertised in it. Although, I was a hair trigger away from walking away, I guess what convinced me was the receipt the guy had on him with today's date on it. It's a very convincing story and the reason it works so well is because they obviously look for people that don't know much about speakers, which I admitted to when he first approached me. Oh, well, live and learn. But, like I said, if they work then I'll just have to be satisifed with that. At least it a story I can share with my daughter because I'm sure they'll be doing the same shhh when she gets older (lol).

josequintero
Unregistered guest
here is their number from netsol.com the domain registry

Phone: 714-894-5888

they do answer the phone i swear

Gold Member

Post Number: 2323
If your speakers work at all, then you're lucky. Some of them try and sell you a box full of rocks or phone books.

Anonymous

I'm so smart, quick and go around people heads 3 times before they utter a thought. . .I make over 200k /year drive a Hummer. .self made mill
I was washing my pride and joy at the local self car wash and WHAM. . I got jipped.

I'm laughing so f(*&g hard, I can't even write.

$400 ain't nuthin dude.....you should see this legit company charging me $10,000.00 installing a 50" plasma and some never-heard surround system in my new house. . .they are the ones ripping off people!

If I see the guy again. . I'll shake his hand.. . he got King Kong with a sling shot!

jonny quest
Unregistered guest
I bought the tr-2830 digital series speakers $200 for a pair, the dude i talked to the most looked like Bam from CKY or Viva la Bam. Named "Derik" haven't called yet, but the speakers sound fine...shame is i spent all my pocket money on em and have to live lean till my next check. I'm probably gonna sell them so i can buy a laptop. Not a bad sounding pair of speakers for the price.

Bronze Member
Username: W00b

Post Number: 65
ok, lets sum this up.. first off, you guys are talking about home audio speakers being sold thru a car, so i guess someone figured it would be smart to post this in 'car audio - speakers' which isnt very smart to me. second off, those of you who got ripped off.. i hope you learned something, im sorry for the money you lost. those of you who got a working product - the best thing to do, out of all honesty.. go buy an equalizer. i have a pair of akai speakers from 1984, they sound so horribly flat, even with the loudness setting turned on. i hook them up with a simple 2 channel, 9 band equalizer with your typical "loudness" (checkmark) preset- they sound godly to my ears, and to my friends ears too. it may seem like the cheap way to do things, but who cares.. its not like someone is going to take a look at your equalizer and automatically determine your speakers arent all that great. just my 2 cents.

magnus200511
Unregistered guest
Look, if these resellers claim they are legit , why dont they give us a legit number or recipet? I was ALMOST conned on the POS speakers. My wife was approached and she bought them. I DID hook them up and they WERE crap. If i had a recipet, i would get my money back... hmm dont legit stores do that? If this was so legit, why does the number on the business cards not work? So anyway , im lucky i could afford to lose a couple of hundred dollars. So Joe, if a custoemr was not satisfied with the merchandise, how can they get their money back? I mean, even the merchants at the flea market can handle returns and refunds. Oh and i know you are a real advocate for this crappy deal but the only thing i can think of is ... david koresh and his followers. They believed .. and they we WRONG!!! ALL in all no matter how much you believe in this method of seller. ITS WRONG!!!!!!!

Anonymous

They are in Trois-rivieres (Quebec) in a Grey Ford explorer selling mostly TR-9500 Subwoofers. Have not tried them yet but we'll see if it's worth the money i paid for.

Disassociated
Unregistered guest
My boyfriend bought some about a year ago and they are still in the closet. Even after we spent an additional $300 for a Sony receiver and had to return it because the TR system didn't work. I was pissed when I saw how crappy the warranty pamphlet looked so I decided to take a trip to the address on there on Vio Lido somewhere. I got there and it was a mailing store with P.O. boxes, and a ghetto establishment at that. So if someone knows how to get a hold of these people so I can atleast try ro hook them up wit hsomething that will work, PLEASE post the contact information.

Disassociated
Unregistered guest
My boyfriend bought some about a year ago and they are still in the closet. Even after we spent an additional $300 for a Sony receiver and had to return it because the TR system didn't work. I was pissed when I saw how crappy the warranty pamphlet looked so I decided to take a trip to the address on there on Vio Lido somewhere. I got there and it was a mailing store with P.O. boxes, and a ghetto establishment at that. So if someone knows how to get a hold of these people so I can atleast try ro hook them up with something that will work, PLEASE post the contact information.

Unregistered guest
Hello I met this guy in the white van here in Portland Oregon. I was talked into a deal for some tr-9500 speakers for $200.He wanted $300 but I told him I didnt have it so he dropped the price. He showed the speakers which I think look pretty good. The box alone can sell for $150-$200 at a stereo dealership. Speakers sound really good too better than my name brand I had. Some are good and I am sure some are bad.

Username: Cainam

It seems that the problem most people seem to have with these speakers is the sales method, not the speakers themselves.
Look at it this way:
You are on your way into an electronics store, and you are looking for speakers, and a Good Humor truck pulls up in front of you to sell you some ice cream (Cheap - My freezer is broken and it's gonna melt! Half off regular price!) Easy decision. Are you hungry for ice cream right now? If not, you probably won't buy any. If you do buy some, the only real buyers regret you will probably have is focused on the diet you are supposed to stick to (lard @ss!)
Now, if you are on your way into a grocery store for some ice cream, and someone pulls in front of you in a white mini-van to sell you some speakers (Cheap - My freezer is broken and they're gonna melt! Half off regular price!), it isn't so easy to make a good decision. You don't actually need the speakers - if you did, you wouldn't be at Safeway right now. But they look nice, and it seems like a great deal, and you may want them in the future. . . If you buy them, you probably will regret it. Not because the things are bad, but because what you really wanted to do today was sit in front of the home shopping channel and polish off a half gallon of Rocky Road (lard @ss!) So now you either have to hook the whole system up, and probably buy more equipment and wire, or you just throw them in the closet behind the running machine that you don't use either (lard @ss!) Either way, you aren't happy.
This just isn't the best way to sell audio equipment. Any honest seller is NOT going to sell a brand new speaker setup valued at $4000 for $300. It doesn't happen. You CAN get a new $300 speaker setup for $300. The fact that the manufacturer lists the price at $4000, and the resellers cut HUGE 'discounts' is not illeagal, but it isn't right, either.
A friend at work got a complete set off of eBay, and I have listened to them. I would say they look nice, and the sound quality is just as good as any other speaker in this (actual, not M.S.R.P.) price range.

audiophile69
Unregistered guest
I work at a high end audio store in Houston TX. My question is: If these guys arent scammers, then why are they telling these people that they work for my store. We do not sell Theater Research. The scammers tell people that they had extra speakers that were not in inventory. And for you people who actually enjoy the sound quality from these speakers, Listen to some B&W or Dynaudio speakers. The people who say that they have compared these speakers to others are comparing crap with crap.

Joe Dummy
Unregistered guest
Well I bought a pair today and I feel like an idiot. Except I got the guy's license number. And pretty soon he's going to start getting pulled over for selling drugs, trying to pick up little kids in the schollyard and anything else I can think ot.

Username: Bigdude

I have had these speakers for over a year. I have enjoyed them and want another system for our vacation house. Of course they are over-priced for the asking retail. I paid $200 for a 6 piece surround sound and would be willing to pay twice that. I have a neighbor who installs high end audio equipment in Porsche and other high end cars in tbe LA area and knows equipment. He bought his mother a system and himself. Funny what people who really know equipment say about them. Sure they may not be a $2000 system but they are worth every penny I pay over $500.00

Zapatista
Unregistered guest
A buddy of mine just bought a set. Same sales method-out of the back of a truck. Painted logos on the side of it. Same customer target as above-Hummer. They wanted approx. 5 bills for the surround system. My friend wouldn't go any higher than a buck and a quarter. SOLD! He brought them back and showed me the manual. At first glance I figured MADE IN CHINA (although it was not written anywhere). Looked in the box. The front of the speaker looked nice and it was heavy. Look at the back... poor quality with a big Chinese screw sticking out of the back. The subwoofer did look cool with the remote control though. I was sort of suprised that for a package "worth $3000" it didn't come with gold plated wiring. I figure for $125 he got an OK buy, considering all the other stuff that is being sold at large electronics stores. I just hope that the subwoofer puts out nice bass for the amount of space it takes up. If you run into this racket, tell your friends about it. It seems (though I am no expert) that this is a relatively new hustle in the USA, but I ran into it years back overseas.

Watch your wallet
Unregistered guest
P.S. They are in Scranton PA area as of today.

Anonymous

I'm not sure if this Theater Research brand is bogus or not, but almost identical looking speakers with no-name brands and similar are selling on ebay now.

BEWARE OF:

PTS PRECISION TRANSDUCER SYSTEMS
&
DIGITAL RESEARCH

PTS even uses the same model numbers as DR.
Both of these brands have identical model number as the TR(Theater Research) system the T is just changed to an D. I guess people are becoming knowlegable to the company's rep.

Unregistered guest
We have a TR-503 which seems to work fine for average usage but our receiver kinds of sucks. If anyone wants it, we'll get rid of it for $100. My husband paid $200 last month (out of a van of course) Excellent condition.

Unregistered guest
Jon Torres, if you're still looking at this, or anyone else that knows, please tell me how to contact ANYONE in tech support or customer service so I can figure out how to get my subwoofer to work. I've called the number on tr website repeatedly for many, many weeks and the mailbox is always full and nobody ever answers. I'd like to see how well this system (503) works. Thanks.

dfsfsdfdsfsd
Unregistered guest
So, my question is do these speakers sound good? becuase i have had bad luck with ACTUAL brands and i can get a TR-6120 for like $80, is it worth it? I mean as long as the system works and doesnt sound like crap it seems woth it to me.....

chump in houtson
Unregistered guest
Hello I fell for the trap too in Houtson Tx near china town. Two mexican's driving in a beatup black astro van. I'm just glad they weren't stolen goods and HPD aint gonna be knocking on my door. Paid 300 for a pair of TR-2830 it has 2 tweeters 2 mid range and one sub on each tower. Sounds decent at least with my old receiver. I do have some questions I have seen a couple of posts saying they do use their speakers.
My question is this how do I get mine setup to work properly. There are four connections in the back two red two black. They are screw down if you remove the entire cap the connection underneath has a hole in it there is a plate that connects the two blacks and the two reds. I put my wires into the top black and red set and it worked fine. Then I tried the bottom set and that worked fine also. When I opened up the panal to the connecters there was a board attached with the speaker wires attached and plus some other stuff. I'm thinking that I just dont have enough juice to push all five speakers(only tested one tower at a time).
So here's the questions why are there two sets of connections? And how do I use these two sets? Second if my hunch is correct about not having enough juice to push all of the speakers. Then what should I get to try and push them? (I have a very very old Technics still has vacuum tubes in it got it from my grandpa)
The speakers in the tower are all pretty heavy the tweeters were I'd say 7~10 lbs, mid range were around 10 ~ 15 lbs, sub around 20~25 lbs. So I would say the only thing that isn't worth it is the sub way too light for a ten inch sub.
The case is solidly built be careful of striping the screws if you do decide to try and open it up. I stripped three of them trying to get the front panal off. The case is made out of composite board with cheery skin on the outside that glue on stuff. The tweeters and mid range are encased into their own compartment in the tower with the rest of the tower left to be a box for the sub which doesn't really make sense cause they put cotton gauze in the entire case for sound dampening. So any constructive advice?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us