Help

RobertJones
Unregistered guest
So I have a mono channel amp, but it has 2 positive and 2 negative places to hook up to the subwoofers. Since this is a mono channel amp I thought there would only be one positive and negative place to hook up to the subwoofers.

Also I have 2 subwoofers, and they each have 4 positive and negative places to hook up to the amp, making it 8 positive/negative in total.

So my question how do I wire this, I am very confused since there is so many slots on the subs, and 2 instead of 1 on the amp.

PS. I was told to wire the subs parallel/parallel.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2983
You need to list what you have. Brand/model of the subs and the amp.

RobertJones
Unregistered guest
Alright Ill probably get trashed, but I got 2 12" AW1200Q Audiobahn Subs, and Mono Channel Pyle PLA-3000D Amp.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2984
You have one of the "bad" amps.
Anyhow, to wire your system, connect pos to pos and neg to neg on each subs first. Then take the pos and neg from each sub and connect it to the amp's speaker terminals. Each sub gets it's own pos and neg on the amp.
That should make 1 ohm load on the amp. The 2 pair of connectors on the amp are the same. So you're basically wiring the subs in parallel first, then connecting them again in parallel on the amp.

RobertJones
Unregistered guest
Ok sorry Im such a newbie at this, but do I just put 4 wires into the amps each speaker terminal? If not, how do I hook up 4 wires into 1 speaker terminal, be as specific as possible please since I know very little about these kinda things.

Thanks for the help so far though.

Gold Member

Post Number: 2990
If you look at your subs, they each have 2 pairs of pos and neg. That is cause it has 2 voice coils. To connect them in "parallel", you need to take both pos and connect it. Repeat the same procedure for the negs. You should end up with pos connected to pos and neg connected to neg. This will turn 4ohms into 2ohms.
Now get a fresh wire and connect it to pos and neg. Then connect this wire to one of the amp's connectors. Pick any, left or right pair, doesn't matter cause they're both the same.
Repeat the same task for the other sub.
Each sub should be 2ohms, so by connecting them to the amp, it'll drop it down to 1ohm.
If you do a google search on the amp, you'll see near the bottom, a wiring diagram. Follow that.
You can also search for "parallel wiring".

Bronze Member
Username: Log

Wa

Post Number: 11
this should help.Upload

if not, you could check the jl audio website tutorials. it won't be for your subs, but the wiring is the same.

Bronze Member
Username: Log

Wa

Post Number: 12
Isaac, i know nothing about those amps, are they rated for a 1 ohm load?

if they are, try this...

Upload

Gold Member

Post Number: 2992
According to Pyle, the amp is 1ohm stable. Therefore your 2nd post is correct.

RobertJones
Unregistered guest
Ok when I wire it like you said, the subs dont work. But when I remove the pos to pos and neg to neg connection (meaning only 1 voice coil is hooked up to the amp) the subs work fine. Any idea what could be wrong?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2994
It means you've reversed one of the voice coils. Make sure you have the 2 pos connected together, not pos to neg.
Look at the above diagram. It has pos to pos. Now if you accidently connected pos to neg, and neg to pos, you're basically cancelling each other out. So that is why you will get no sound.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us