What amp should i use?!?!?!

Username: Munstah

Post Number: 1
Hey people.. i'm a total car audio newb and i'm just getting started with my system... so far i've picked up 2 10 inch JL audio subs (10w3d4)... they run at 250w rms each at 4 ohms... can someone tell me what kinda specs my amp should have and perhaps point me in the right direction... this would be much appreciated.. thanx

Silver Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 243
wow, thats pretty good for a noob. A JL 500/1 would work perefect for you, but it cost a good amount of money as well. That would be the best though because it supplies a steady 500 watts 1-4 ohms and it is underrated. check out that and see if you can afford it.

Post Number: 2
ack.. i checked a local dealer a while ago and saw that the JL 55/1 amp will run me $499 before taxes :/ .... not sounding good so far

Post Number: 3
how about a JL e1400 mono amp... it runs at 400 watts rms... would this be alright to power my two 10 inch jl's at 250w each?

Username: Telef

Post Number: 9
You can find them a little cheaper on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=79827%26item%3D5775296913 %26%26

Still expensive though... I heard the slash series are a lot better than the e series, but I've never personally compared them. Not sure how much of a difference it would make.

Silver Member
Username: Rds11

Louisville, Kentucky

Post Number: 254
How much you got to spend?

Post Number: 4
i unno maybe 300

allende5
Unregistered guest
I only wish I had your problems. You're not doing bad for a self proclaimed "newb".

Really, if I were you and I can pull it off, I'd spend maybe another $60-$80 more and buy a JL Audio 500/1 on a "Buy it Now" on eBay. It would be a perfect match.

There's a 1000/1 that's supposedly a floor model someone is selling for $500 "Buy it Now", that I'm eyeballing myself! Great Deal!! I'd really like to have it, but I can't really justify it with the CFO (wife)!

Good luck with your system...

allende5
Unregistered guest
Second thought... if you're running two dual 4ohm subs, I'm not sure if the 500/1 can push a 1ohm load. However, I know it's rated down to 1.5ohm. Maybe a more experienced guru can answer that.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 3039
the 500/1 is a regulated power supply which means it puts out the same amount of power at 4ohms as it does at 1.5ohms. I would get the 500/1 on a buy it now on ebay like stated above and run it at 4ohms.

Post Number: 5
humm... it seems i can't excape the jl 500/1 ..lol

i may just bite the bullet and do it...

heh hopefully it'll sound nice once i get it up.. i have no idea how it'll be as i've never had a system before
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us