Glass, Isaac, Any expert...What alternator do i need

InNeedOfAdvice
Unregistered guest
Im about to be installing a kicker kx600.1 amp and a kicker kx350.4 amp. Together, they're rated at 950 watt rms and i only have an 88' cavalier, not quite sure what the alternator is rated at. Ill be using 4 gauge power wire and im assuming i should upgrade the alternator. Should i get a 180amp one, or can i go with less. Also, would a normal auto store have one or can order one...or will i have to order one online. I dont wanna screw this whole system up before i even get started, so i wanna get everything right from the beginning. Also, will i need to replace the wiring from the alternator to the battery, or will the new alternator be good enough?

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2959
You should be fine with 150A alternator. However, if you can get 180A, do it. It'll be worth the money in the future.
As for your stock alternator, they're usually around 65A-75A.
Most audio stores won't carry them. You will have to try HO alternator manufacturers. Try 4alterstart.com.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1240
YOu can go to your local napaautoparts and they should have them for you to get. I saw some the other day. If you dont wanna order online that is.

InNeedOfAdvice
Unregistered guest
thanks. As for the wiring from the alternator to the battery, i noticed some people on some other threads saying u need to upgrade that too. Is this crucial or is it something that is just recommended. All i want is for the car to still function good after the whole stereo is hooked up. Im actually still debatin on even getting the sub and amp because ill be going to school in Flint, MI, and basically, its like one of the highest crime areas in the country. A few people have been tellin me its a waste of time and money cuz its only gunna get jacked in a few weeks. I have considered the whole car alarm deal, but this is an 88 cavalier. Popping a trunk lock out and snatching out the sub box and amp take a whole 15 seconds. What do u recommend. I definitely want the extra bass, even tho i know the new infinity kappa 6x9's with the kicker x350.4 will do a decent job. Any advice is always welcome. Thanks everyone

InNeedOfAdvice
Unregistered guest
As for the alternator...how would a 105A one do. Ive been callin around to places like Napa and Autozone and that was the highest i could find so far, for only $89.99. Would this just be a waste of money or should i keep lookin for a 150A one.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1242
105A is good enough for the job and $89.99 is a great price. I whould go with that and have them install it for you and upgrade your big 3 wiring also. I feel bad that you have to go to school in flint, MI. I know Detroit has alot of crime and i heared flint was bad too. If i were you i whould get an alarm and call your insurance company and tell them that you have a system in your car and it shouldnt cost you more then $15 -$20 every 3 months to cover you if you get jacked which is possible.
I have a friend from Detroit 7 mile West side and i dont even wanna start about how fucked up the East Side is. I love Detroit Rap like Esham and ICP and Twiztid and R.O.C. and Lavel and NATAS and all that raw rap. By the way Dayton Family is out of Flint MI. lol Yeah good luck though. let me know if i can help you.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2963
What you need is a setup that you can dismantle easily. Hide the amp under a cover or spare tire compartment if possible and make the sub wire a plug. That way you can take out the sub when you have to park at a high crime zone.
I can't believe how some US cities just accept crime as if it's part of life. Some crimes yes, but when it gets out of hand like that, it needs swift justice.
They should make it 1 strike and you're out, instead of 3.
How about making car thieves wear hand cuffs for 20 years?? I hate those low lifers.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1245
Isaac i whould love to catch a car thief outside my house. You dont wanna know what i whould do to him if i catch him at night outside my house. I hate car thieves with a passion. Just wish i could catch one somtime and break all there fingers and hands.

InNeedOfAdvice
Unregistered guest
Ill probably end up doin that, with the 105A and probably callin my insurance company. Flint sucks when it comes to that $hit, but the school is like one of the best engineering schools, Kettering University. Speakin of Dayton Family,my one friend from around Flint knows shoestring and partied with him a few times. Im gunna be livin at a frat house and cars have been known ta be broken into several times there. It sucks. I know im gunna have to keep some discipline and not play anything too loud around it to let anyone know what i got, but its gunna be hard. I know im gunna end up gettin the sub, rap doesnt sound the same without it. Thanks for all the advice tho. And ya, ill probably look into some quick release ends for the wiring in case i know ill be leavin my car somewhere for a while. Ive had friends do that befor in youngstown, OH, another nice lil crime town. One of my best friends had his system jacked out of his trunk, right in front oh his house, twice while we were sleeping. I really should choose my cities more wisely, but im kinda stuck in flint til i graduate. And one more thing, how much would upgrading my "big 3 wiring" be, and where would i go ta get that done?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us