Amplifier prices

Username: Madbomber032

Renton, WA USA

Post Number: 2
Why is it that a 1500x2 watt amp. costs $150, while a 200x2 watt amp costs $250 dollars. As the inexperienced car audio person I am, I would want the amp with more power and less money, but I know that is not always the case

Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 3
a piglet is not a lion just because it says it is. but sometimes a sloth is really what it professes to be.
hope you didn't buy the piglet

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2881
nice analogy man:-)

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3478
when you are buying a real nice amp, you are usually looking for the rule which is like 1 doller a watt or somen, idk how it goes, maybe 50 cents or 10 cents a watt, i cant remember lol. BUT i know there IS a rule lol

Bronze Member
Username: Mikechec9

Chicago/atlanta

Post Number: 11
just making lite of the situation. in all seriousness though, there is a CEA 2006 rating that amplifier manufacturers can opt to utilize. some do and some don't. rms is subjective as it can be measured at .05%THD or 5%THD... etc. Now everyone has the opportunity to be on a similar playing field. even though the 1%THD CEA standard is still considered high by most quality amplifier standards, it is at least a good gauge. thing is many amps still don't utilize it.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2921
its $1 per watt sub. When you find a 800 watt amp for $300 typically it will put out around 300 watts and when you have a 800 watts and it costs between $800-$1000 then it is typically underrated and puts out between 800-1000 watts take the Orion HCCA 250G4 for example, it's retail cost was $979 and thats about the amount of power it produeces. Class D tend to be a little bit cheaper per watt then class a/b like a jl 1000/1 I believe the retail is about $850 so its not to far off from $1/watt.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us