What does magnet do on subwoofer

Username: Gizzyklizz

Victorville, Ca Usa

Post Number: 4
what does the magnet really do on the subwoofer the bigger it is does it really make a difference tell me please thanks

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2282
Amps take a dc current and change it to an ac current, which then runs to the sub, through the voice coils. The current running through the voice coil makes it an electro magnet. The frequency of a sound wave wanted to be produced is determined by the frequency of the current running through the voice coils, which determines how fast it switches between positive and negative polarity. The when the voice coil switches one way, it is attracted to the magnet, when it's the opposite polarity, it's repelled, and want's to move out.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3897
Furthermore, it isn't the size of the magnet that matters. BL (motor strength) is more important. There are different magnet materials used now and size isn't a big factor. It is possible to have too much motor power, and resulting in overdamping the driver.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2299
Yes, materials can be a big factor actually. You'd be suprised at the strength of a teeny pice of magnet X, compared to a big chunk of magnet Y.

Jon, I get so sick of seeing people think certain subs are gonna be uber loud because they have a 150, 200 oz magnet. Some companies, *cough, Audiobahn, love to advertise oversized magnets on their subs, and draw people with little knowledge into them.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2818
I couldntagree more, and jonathan said it well in another post about how the IDmax is extremely efficient with a reltively low amount of power, Honestly that is one of the best subs I have ever heard and the magnet is half the size of some of those audiobahn subs!

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2307
I laugh when I hear people talking about the Sledgehammer, and other obscenely large subs. Their like "WOAH, 600 OUNCE MAGNET, I'M GONNA ORGASME"

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3899
Look at speakers like the Morel Hybrids and DLS loudspeakers. They're integrating ferrite and neodymium magnets so that they can use a smaller magnet, making installs MUCH easier in today's smaller cars due to less mounting depth. It's providing a BL of 7+ on these speakers, which is pretty high for a 6.5" driver. The Adire Audio Shiva uses a small magnet.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1252
http://www.mbquart.com/2003/en_US/products/images/dims/Dim-160Q.jpg

Neodymium Magnet

-Fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us