James... wake up old man... need help picking subs

Gold Member
Username: Invain

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2201
I'm a little worried that I won't have the money soon enough to get an Avalanche before their sold out, so I think I'm gonna need to start thinking of some other subs I can push with my Orion 250. I guess it's not the end of the world if I can't get the Avy, I know there's plenty out there that will be almost as loud.

First thing that popped into my mind was the ID MAX, I've always wanted to try one of those, and their priced pretty good as well. I was also thinking about an RE SX, they usually go for good prices on ebay. I've always wondered about trying Treo or MMATS stuff as well, and I love the prices on SoundSplinter stuff.

Anyways, I think Ima need to start making a list of subs that'll get the most out of my Orion. Of course, I want good quality, but I kinda want to squeeze as much spl out that I can. But then again I want awsome sq (ID MAX). D@mn, decisions are too hard. I'm gonna go drool over some more subs now...

Gold Member
Username: Taylor17

Kopperl, Texas

Post Number: 1782
Lol, I know what you mean... theres like 6 different subs I want to try just to see how they would sound.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2202
Exactly man. I wanna go crazy... lol

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1895
skip the mmatts if you want sq

Gold Member

Post Number: 1896
taylor ill sell you some original lanzar 12s before they were pyramid for 80 a pair plus shipping....you intrested?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1897
they are the top of the line ones for that year they handle 350 rms a piece

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3361
ECLIPSE AL!!!!

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2203
Sean, I know about MMATS. I didn't say it had to be super loud with great sq, I just can't make up my mind. Nobody really talks about them much, I was pretty sure they were for spl purposes though.

In all honesty guys, I'm starting to get sick of hearing about Ascendant Audio. Yes, their good and affordable, and I still want one, but I think I see that word about 1,000,000 times a day on this forum. There are too many people on here that just copy what other people say, or give out useless advice that they "heard from a friend." It seems to me that the forum goes into "fads." One month everybody thinks they need this brand, the next month it's something different. I don't really bother trying to answer many questions on here anymore because of the general lack of knowledge of people. They think their being helpful by shouting out "Adire."

I think a while ago Isaac was complaining about the same thing I am, and he hasn't been as active since. I also think that's why John and Glass (aside from his car), don't bother posting here much anymore. Glass is active at a couple other forums, and I go there sometimes rather than here to get advice.

I guess what I'm saying is some people need to really check themselves before hadning out useless advice, and we all need to open our eyes up and realize there are many many many other brands out there besides Ascendant and RE.

Gold Member

Post Number: 1914
I understand what your saying Joe and alot of what you say is true; but you have to realize alot of the people on here either have never had a system before or are not educated about whats really behind car audio. They see gold rated guys on here saying i just tried the ascendant audio stuff and its great and they say hey if he said he had great results so can I the same goes with re and adire etc. I agree sometimes its about a popularity contest for some and they throw any old thing out there; but you have to also realize this hobby is expensive and gettin it done right the first time and being educated properly at the same time is very important.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2207
Your right sean, I know there's a lot of people that can't afford to buy the best stuff, and a lot of people don't know what their talking about. I guess I just get annoyed easily.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3375
i dont know anything, but joe, why dont you try out some dd subs or like a juggernaught jsee how those are giong to work, but have u ever personally used an eclipse ti, considered that?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2212
I would love a DD, but only like a 95 or 9900...

#1 - Not enough money for a high model one

#2 - Not enough power for a high end model

I am gonna look into juggernaught's though, and how much would you sell the Ti for???

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3379
yea right, sell my TI lol, i love it, i might get a 2nd lol, but if i did i dont know, i just dont know if i could part with it, i think if i were to get rid of it i would have to make sure its going to a good home with a clean install and power, or i would push 3000 watts rms to it and see how it takes it with my friends to 1500ds lol

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2213
Haha, I know, I'd have to kill you to take your TI.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3381
haha i luv it, but im interested in buying a new al too, i thinkim giong to order one this weekend instead of an atlas. but im also intereste din getting a 15 ava to just to compare it to an eclipse al, to me from what i read from you godly gold members is it would beat out a ti, i cnat tell, so i want to prove it to tell people better advice. But are mmatts good subs or no?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2215
Yes, but their more spl orientated, used in comps.

Sub, you could buy that Avalanche now, test it, and then sell it to me later when I have money.... sounds good to me, haha.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3385
haha for the same price?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2216
Sure... Man, I'm just afraid that I won't get my money in time to buy one...

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3394
lol iguess i could prolly buy one this saturday

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2804
I would hook you up Nick but hunter beat ya to it! lol

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2220
Huh?

Gold Member
Username: Hdubb

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1377
yo joe, juggernauts are very exspensive man, almost as much as a 9900 series from dd. im kinda sick of hearing aa also but im gettin one. you know if you guys go back like 3 months ago you will see who introduced aa to this board. :-)
but i think that the idmax is your best bet, it matches really well with your amp, and gives you the sq you want. you could try tc sounds,tc 9+ or look into seas lotus or locus whatever it is called. also try dayton titanic.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2222
Yeah, I know Juggernauts are too expensive, and like 3000 watts rms as well. I am thinking that the ID MAX would work the best, I've always wanted one anways. Just wish they made a 15". You got any prices on the TC subs, and specs, and where I could get one? I know their hard to find... I've heard of Seas and Dayton, but haven't looked into them, I'll check them out. I'm also gonna look into SoundSplinter stuff, they specs look good and they have pretty good d@mn prices, almost as good as AA.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2223
Hunter, that Dayton Titanic looks like a beast, can't find any prices on it but I'm guessing it'll be outta my price range.

I couldn't find much on the Seas subs.

Sound Splinter is starting to look very pleasing to me as well. I found a viable forum that had a thread comparing the 12" SS RL-PS vs the 12" AA Avalanche. The specs are very close, and many honestly said that it would be too close to call. Some think the Avalanche would maybe be a little louder, possibly because of it's 3 more mm's of xmax over the SoundSplinter, but the difference would be almost unnoticable. They did say that the SS's TC9 motor gives a claner and more musical, warm sound, mainly in the 2nd order harmonics, which some like better than the XBL^2 motor. Only draw back of the TC9 is that the 3rd order harmonics can have a little higher distortion, but you almost never hear the 3rd order anways.

I like the SoundStream over the ID MAX mainly because I can get a 15" SS. Other than that I still can't make up my d@mn mind on anything.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1394
well the soundsplinter stuff is the same as tc sounds, so no big deal, they are actually goin to be using the LMT motor on some of there up coming subs, but it wont be as good as the prototype LMT. good stuff and good prices. im not sure on how different it would sound in 2nd or 3rd order harmonics, i think that they are both great subs and on top of the game right now. i dont think that the dayton is too too much, did you go to www.partsexpress.com ?

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2269
- " like the SoundStream over the ID MAX mainly because..." Meant to say SoundSplinter, not Stream -

Oh, guess I was way off then. The Titanic is about 200 at partsexpress.com. Only problem is it won't work with my Orion amp, the Dayton is 4 ohms.

So Hunter, how exactly do you think the SoundSplinter RL-P stacks up with an ID MAX and the Avalanche, with 800 wrms.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1398
im thinkin the same league, they are all good subs. and with 800 a piece any of them will sound good. i think the ava will give you deeper bass response then the other two, and IMO will have a flatter bl curve, i like the xbl2 tech. the idmax will be sharper i think, and is a ptetty good sql sub. just think asa the SS as being a eclipse ti, basically the same sub with less xmax which actually can be a good thing, but same motor.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2274
Pretty much what I thought about everything. IMO the idmax probably has the most potential for spl, but you have to factor in the higher power handeling. On the other hand, I like TC stuff, and the SoundSplinter matches up good with my amp. It's too d@mn hard to chose...

Silver Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 157
SORRY O BUTT IN HERE MAN. ive heard a lot of ppl saying audiobahn sux and so does sound stream. i gotta tell u, in the right setup, my fiends d4 12's beat the crap outta 2 id max. a lot has to do with cheap subs with cheap amps, and boxes and wiring and hu. i still havent heard anything louder then the 2 tarantulas. not even 3 memphis 12 with one amp to each, nor 2 15 solo barics. me myself am happy with 2 audiobahns that needed a couple glueing lol that sound louder than 1 15 dub 7 and less heavier. i just stopped posting cus a lot of ppl get bummed by audiobahns low reliability that can be fixed with house hold products and their ability to use 300 rms amps with an spl driven sub like teh 1206t which needs 10 times the power theyre supplying and doesnt sound good with low wattage feed. i guess what im trying to say is ppl who talk bad about a sub are the ppl who dont have the basic skill of getting down and dirty or that cannot read basic RMS readings from subs vs. RMS readings from subs. i am glad to tell all that it doesnt matter what sub u get, u have to take some time and tweak it to get to that wonderful "g-spot" boom. hell yea,, peace out

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1402
ya it is, but either way you win. i think the id is still the best bet.

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2277
We never said Sound Stream sucks. Audiobahn, yes, Sound Stream is still decent at least.

Silver Member
Username: Elecgenius

La Puente, Ca United States

Post Number: 158
sorry i was quoting i thin glasswolf a long time ago, someon also said theyre made by pyramid,, which theyre not, they just share revenue and have some of the same assembly lines someplaces. btw, gotta luve theyre amps. i see them everywhere at competitions. i wouldn try those d4's in a sealed enclosure though, wayyyyyyy different in ported than sealed, sealed sounds like crap. hehe.

Gold Member

Farmington, Nm Usa

Post Number: 1405
now they are made by the same co as power acoustik

Gold Member

Michigan United States

Post Number: 2285
And that's not a good thing either...

Gold Member