Hey Isaac!!!! Need your advice (again)

Bronze Member
Username: Hmpadilla

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 37
Only asked for Isaac 'cause he's helped on a couple of occasions.Anyone's advice is appreciated.let me recap my "system" 2004 Chevy Avalanche with stock HU and door speakers (front&rear doors,2 10" Kenwood kfc-2509 subs in a sealed box under the rear seat (4ohm SVC wired to 2ohm),all running off Hifonics ZX8000 5ch amp.4x100 to the door speakers,300x1 to the subs.This was a totally low budget project so I was trying to avoid dual amps.But I'm really not happy with the bass.Looking to buy a new amp for the subs.Here's where I need help.I have read many of your post on the Orions.I know Orions are good.When I first got into car stereo in the 80's,I remember them as being one of the best.Unfortuneately I couldn't afford them then,and I really can't afford them now.Sorry for the babble.Here's my questions.Which Orion would you suggest for the subs (225,250,275.2100?)Would you consider a refurb unit?And most importantly what would you say the highest price I should pay for any of these (assuming I find one on ebay)Also was looking at Vincent Vang' PPI a600.Any thoughts on that?Thanks,and try to remember,I'm biting the bullet and just want to get something better,but I am still on a budget.It's flexible,but not breakable.Thanks

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2952
If you're looking for Orion HCCA series amp, here's an approximate price for them.
225: $150 - $200
250: $200 - $300
275: $300 - $430
2100: $400 - $550
Of course those are the average prices. Sometimes when you're lucky, you can get them cheaper.
Vincent's A600 is a good amp. You can use it to power your subs as long as you have some kind of crossover. Without it, you'll just get "full" range sound. It is a better amp for powering component speakers.
If money is a problem, you might want to have a look at JBL, MTX, Audiobahn's A8000T.
You might also check with MO, I think he has an amp for sale, same with TraGedy. I am positive they will give you a break since we're all on this forum.

Gold Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 1229
Yes i own a Orion 225g4 in mint condition Made In the USA amplifier which is very rare. I dont have any use for it now but im willing to sell it for $200 plus shipping so if your interested then let me know soon otherwise i will keep it until i have use for it. I dont think isaac recommends me to sell it..these are hard to come by henry.

p.s. im a star seller on ebay and 100% feedback.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 191
hey MO what are the specs on the 225g4. i'' be using it to push two perfects 350rms each, is this possible?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1232
Here are the specs:

POWER OUTPUT

2 x 25 @ 4 Ohm
2 x 50 @ 2 Ohm
2 x 100 @ 1 Ohm
2 x 200 @ .5 Ohm
1 x 100 @ 4 Ohm
1 x 200 @ 2 Ohm
1 x 400 @ 1 Ohm

This amp is known as a cheater amp and can actually do over 600 watts rms at 1ohm with a good electrical system. The higher voltage your car provides the more you will get.

Silver Member
Username: Goon

Post Number: 192
see that could be a problem, since i have a crappy alternator, and no money to get a better one at the moment. hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Gold Member

Post Number: 1233
not necessarly, I have a 80A alternator and im pushing 1000 watts and have no problems right now. Just upgrade your big 3 wiring instead of you alternator and see how it goes. How many Amp Alternator do you have now? and what other amp are you using and how many watts ?

Gold Member

Post Number: 1234
This alternator carries 2 20A fuses. That is a total of 40A at full draw which is very efficiant for a class ab amp. Let me know what other amp you are running if you are running and how many amps it carries.

MOst of the time you wont be using all the watts out of this amplifier unless you are going to competition so you dont have to worry about a upgrade.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2928
have you ever thought about keeping your current amp set-up and looking into 1-better sub with all 300 watts?

Silver Member
Username: Bnd_rulez

Phoenix, AZ USA

Post Number: 566
James has a better idea.. I would scrap the Kenwoods.

Bronze Member

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 38
Hey guys thanks for the advice but it looks like I'll be waiting a little longer to buy anything.Wife's car took a cr*p yesterday and took all my play money with it.Damn life's a b*tch.For future reference though,is the 225 powerful enough to run 2 -10's?According to Mo's specs it only does 200x1 @ 2ohms.Thanks Mo for the offer,I was going to take you up on it yesterday but didn't have a chance to get back to you until today.We'll see when my nest egg recupertes.James and David,I have thought about your idea.The problem with that(besides $) is I'm not willing to give up my bed or the fold down mid gate.(I acyually use my Avalanche as a truck)I can't get a box with more than 51/2" mounting depth.Most of the the good subs guys are recm. reguire a lot more than that.Not a whole lot of choices for subs that are less than 51/2".I've only seen the ones I have,a couple of audiobahns,a some Cerwin Vegas.I'm thinking about the CV's but I have to stick with 2,Don't have the money to have a new custom box built.Any opininions on the CV-Max series? Thanks again guys,got to go fix the car.D*mn I hate getting greasy :-)

Gold Member

Post Number: 1239
Henry let me know when you are ready man. I have no use for my Orion HCCA 225g4 amp.

Bronze Member

Gilbert, AZ

Post Number: 39
Hey Mo Thanks.I'll let you know.I just dropped $500+ on the wife's car this weekend,so It may be awhile.Thanks again

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2977
yes the CV vmax's are nice subs, much better then your kenwoods. if they will fit into your application I would go for those. You can get them very cheap on ebay also:-)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us