Audiobahn A8000T vs. Kenwood KAC-9152D

Bronze Member
Username: Alias747

Post Number: 19
I am trying to choose between these 2 amps. I can get the Kenwood for 10 dollars more on ebay. Which one would be better? The kenwood puts out more power. Are kenwood really all that bad? How much power would I be getting out of each amp at 2.67 ohms? Another factor is how much power they need. The audiobahn has 2 30A fuses. I am not sure about the kenwood. How do you figure how much amperage they draw?

http://www.cardomain.com/item/ABNA8000T
http://www.cardomain.com/item/KENKAC9152D
I am not going to be paying this much for them. Just using as refrences!

Bronze Member

Post Number: 20
Can anyone give me a hand on this one?? I think I am leaning more toward the Kenwood. But let me know what I should do. Or recommend another amp that does about this much power in my price range. Thanks!

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2845
The Kenwood is class D, Audiobahn is class AB.
You will not get 1800w from Kenwood amp. It's a lie. Never pay more than $200 for Kenwood amps, period. For $329, you could almost buy JL 500/1 amp. They usually go for $350 - $400. It's a much better amp.
The A8000T's $319 is also a rip off. That amp normally sell for $130 - $150.
If your budget is around $150, go with A8000T, if not, then look for JL 500/1 amp.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
Yeah, I knew that the max power ratings are kinda rediculous, but that amp is supposed to put out 900 wrms @ 2 ohms, even according to CEA standards. I can get the Kenwood amp for $185 shipped with a 1-year warranty. What makes Kenwood amps bad? Do they put out dirty power or something? I noticed they were in the "questionable" catagory on the "good/bad amp list". What puts them there? I have used Kenwood amps before and they didn't shiznit out on me or anything.

As for the 500/1, you know I would love to have that amp.... but it's kinda out of my price range. I need more than 500 watts rms too. I need around 800 rms or so. Thanks again man.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 22
Actually now that I have been searching around, I can get a MTX Thunder801D for pretty cheap. I have heard really good things about this amp. It puts out 800 watts RMS @ 2ohms 14.4v. Which is about exactly what i need, plus I hear MTX is always underating their RMS, is this true? Would this be a better aternative?

Bronze Member

Post Number: 23
http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTX801D

For refrence.

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3875
Kenwood amps are extremely unreliable. Audiobahns amps are better, but in the price range I'd look at JBL, MTX, Rockford Fosgate, and Kicker. Or you could scour ebay for some really good used equipmemt.

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3878
And yes, the MTX 801D is a solid amp, great amp for the price.

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1203
I'm a lil confused on how MTX rates their amps. They give an RMS rating at 12.5 volts(500 @ 2 ohm - 801D) and a dynamic power rating at 14.4 volts(800 @ 2ohm - 801D).

If these amps have unregulated power supplies then it makes sense that they produce more power at higher supply voltages, but "dynamic power"? What the heck is that? If the 801D develops 800 watts RMS into a 2 ohm load at 14.4 volts why not just say so?

This "dynamic power" thing just makes me think this 800 watt rating has a sizeable "BS"(cow poo) component to it.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 379
I have an MTX 1501D and the birth certificate says 1100 watts @ 12V, but it is supposed to put out 1500 watts @ 14.4 V. It is cow poo, but they are still good amps.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 24
Yeah I noticed that too Fishy, I have no clue what dynamic power is. Does anyone know for a fact that this amp does 800 watts RMS at 2 ohms? If you read some of the reviews at sounddomain.com(the link I posted up there), people were saying that they were getting over 900 watts RMS @ 2 ohms and 14.4v. I am not sure if they are telling the truth or not. But if I do get this amp, is there a way I can test how much power I am getting from it?

Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 1
I'd say neither, Kenwood has very poor power ratings. Almost like sony's. Audiobahn just plain sucks. I ran 4 audiobahn monoblocks and 2 linear compression subs. It sucked. $$$$$ for power. U end up having to get a bigger amp than u need from other companies like zapco and eclipse. Always check the power ratings. Alot have the rms at 14+ volts. So if you usin headlights or ne thing your rms will go down because the less volts. So research more and you will be ight. O and e bay, not for car audio. Trust me. Too many buddies with broken amps. All result of e bay.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2846
Fishy, MTX likes to use different words to look special.
Instead of saying 14.4v, they say "Dynamic". Maybe MTX has a patent on the way they use "Dynamic" in advertising.

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 386
I think my MTX amp would do 1500 watts if I could keep a constant 14.4v AND 150 amps. That's what dynamic power means.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1204
They use both "dynamic" and "14.4v" in the same sentence.

Why?

At least they use rms power in their MXA8001 specs:

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/amps/MXA_Class_D.p df

but that looks to be a different amp. The 801D

http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/products/manualsQuickInstall/amps/Thunder_421D_ 801D_1501D.pdf

has 3x25 amp fuses where as the MXA8001 has one 90. It also says the 801D hjas a "Patented PWM MOSFET switching power supply". Isn't that a "regulated" design? If thats the case then significantly more power at higher supply voltages doesn't make a lot of sense.

I'm sceptical.

-Fishy

Gold Member

GA USA

Post Number: 3882
Not necessarily regulated by a lot, there are differing designs. I haven't seen the transformers they use nor how actively the duty cycle changes, but I've seen MTX amps tested and they do produce rated power in both scenarios.

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1210
Well if they produce what they say no matter what they call it then that's all that matters.

:-)

-Fishy

Bronze Member

Post Number: 25
I think I am probably going to get the 801D then. I have 2 things though. First, I don't think this amp has LPF. Does it? Second, It has 2 speaker outputs, do I just hook the subs up to 1 positive and negative? Thanks for all the help!

Gold Member

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1212
Yeah it has a 24 dB/oct 40-200 Hz low pass and that extra set of speker terminals is just there for convenience. Both sets are common to each other. You can use one or both. The amp will still see the same load.

-Fishy

Bronze Member
Username: G3nocd3

San Jose, Ca USA

Post Number: 36
Werd fishy
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us