Bad Interfire?

Username: Yamraptor

Post Number: 1
I bought a Interfire IB 2400 about a year ago, and I replaced it with a another amp. It didn't sound as good so I went to hook the Interfire amp back up and the protection light came on and it wont do anything. As soon as I turn it on my subs go out and back in once and then the protection light comes on and stays on.

Does anyone know about this problem?

Thanks for any help

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3289
your prolly wiring it to low, but if ur intersted in selling that amp, ill buy it from you

Post Number: 2
What exactly do you mean its wired to low. The thing that confuses me is that it worked perfectly fine before with the same hook ups and receiver. If it is wired to low how could I fix it.

How much would you pay it for Subfanatic?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3301
i dont know, it depends on what i would pay for it depending on the condition its on. I really like interfire amps but they arent the greatest, but what i mean by wiring it to low is that maybe your ohm load is to small for it, what subs are you using to it, what ohms are the subs, how are they wired. Did u try wiring it in someone elses car to see if it works?

Post Number: 4
well I got two kicker comp vr 12"s at 2 ohms a piece so im not sure if that is why.

Silver Member
Username: Audiophile

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 127
That's wierd...I've got an interfire 4700 that I've had for about a year or so that wouldn't come out of protection mode...If you're techincally inclined, open it up, drain the internal capacitors, and start it back up. Someone else here who's a genius might advise against this, but I've done it before and got it out of protect mode :-)

Post Number: 5
ok, thanks how do i drain them and what they look like.

Silver Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 129
Well, if I were you, I'd wait for Jonathon, Glass, or one of the other vets here (they know who I am...I think) to confirm what I said. For all I know, this may not be good for the amp.

I first decided to try this after learning it from my dad. He's in the telecommunications business (phones & stuff) and he had to take a phone out of protect mode, so he drained the caps inside and reprogrammed it. Thankfully you don't need to reprogram an amp, just drain them.

They're small cylindrical objects, usually wrapped in black rubbery stuff. There's about 20 of them of various sizes throughout the inside of your amp. Grab yourself 2 screwdrivers. Touch the tip of one screwdriver to the exposed metal part of the top of a cap. Using the other screwdriver, make an "X" that crosses down and touches the side (the outer metal covering) of your amp. Now, the current from inside the caps will flow down the screwdrivers and ground itself out through the casing of the amp. Don't worry, there isn't enough voltage there to even feel it.

That's my 2cents, might not be the most intelligent 2 cents ever, but it worked for me! :-)

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 382
Don't do it. If you want to drain the caps use a resistor not a screw driver that can damage your amp and capacitors. If you use a screw driver all the current will drain instantly and there will probably be sparks.

Silver Member

OFallon, MO USA

Post Number: 131
:-P I never made sparks.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us