JL Sub Identification

Anonymous

I bought a 12" W1 sub off of E-Bay for $25 but the seller wasn't able tell me the resistence of the sub. Is there a way to measure the resistence and what would the values be for the different resistences. All I know is that they come in 4 or 8 ohm.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1435
use a meter and measure the resistance.
It should be slightly lower than the nominal impedance.
Any car audio shop can do this for you.

Anonymous

The resistance meausure about 6-7 ohms, so I would assume that it would be a 8 ohm sub. Could I put another SVC 4 ohm sub in parallel and produce a 2.7 ohm load and run that on a 4 ohm amp, then hook a 1 ohm resistor and get a 3.7 ohm load? Or is there a better way to do this?

Anonymous

Can I just run the 8 ohm sub to a 4 ohm 200 rms amp and get 100 rms running to the sub?

Rhythm44
Unregistered guest
No resistors, 200 watts will probably cook them in short order! Slap two 8-ohmers together in parallel and call it 4-ohms total. That's the easiest route.

Or run it at half power like you said, that works too :D. And saves buying another woofer!

Anonymous

How would I tell the difference between a 12w0-8 and a 12w1-8? I need to know this because the volume is 0.25 cu feet different.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

Post Number: 1470
actually don't worry about the volume that much.
go with the larger of the two and you'll be fine no matter which it is.
box size is flexible within reason.
you're only talking three cubic inches here.

Username: Tim_9872

Post Number: 2
Is this how to wire to subs in parallel?

Will both subs get 100w rms or will the first get slightly more because of the resistence would be less?

Username: Tim_9872

Post Number: 3
The reason I'm asking this question is because all the diagrams out there explain parallel wiring more like this:

The first sub is a 12w0 with two terminals per terminal. So would I just hook the first sub up like in a single sub setup then hook the second sub upto the other set of terminals on the 12w0?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us