Help with passive xovers

Username: Pete0403

Post Number: 7
Hello,

I'm building a 2nd order narrow bandpass passive xover. I have two questions:

1. I have limited space, is it bad to have the inductors/capacitors too close together?

2. In a second order system, should I have reverse polarities on the left and right speakers?

ie: L2 and C2 on -'ve (left) and L2 and C2 on +'ve (right)

Or reverse the polarities on both speakers in respect to the amp? (never found a clear source on this)

Thank you very much for your help :-)

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5669
1: no. I asolder mine directly together.
less wire = less loss.

2: no. in phase.
don't worry about the phase shift of a crossover or EQ unless it's audibly an issue, or if you have a scope an RTA, and equipment needed to measure and adjust phase.

Username: Pete0403

Post Number: 8
Thanks alot for your help Glasswolf.

Bronze Member
Username: Jwbulger79

Post Number: 12
can you use a bandpass crossover for 3-way 6x9's? They are in the back seat of my SUV and I was thinking about just leaving them there for rear fill. I'm putting components in the front and 10" sub in the back with a 4-ch amp to power them. Was wondering if I should use the HU to power the existing 6x9's and put a bandpass crossover on them to limit the range. If possible, what range should i use?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5920
yeah you can do that, and I'd cross them over with a 12dB Q, from 500Hz-5KHz.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 21
thanks Glass. where should i buy the parts? i've looked around but i guess i don't even know what i'm looking for. i would really like to build them myself. i'm somewhat electronically competent(build my own computers) and very eager to learn more about this. i've found some great online resources such as bcae1.com but they don't point you to the parts. does scosche make the parts i need? thanks for all of your help glass.
p.s. i'm keeping my eye out for the eclipse 3242 or 3422 on ebay. thanks for the heads up.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5931
the12volt.com has great info on building passive filters.
PAC and Scosche both make coils and caps you can use for this.
search on-line for suppliers.
I usually just hunt down what I need when the need arrises.

Bronze Member

Post Number: 28
thanks glass. i've been doing some research. i calculated the proper coils and capacitors on 12volt.com (see diagram). it looks like i will need to do a parallel and a series hookup to achieve the proper numbers. is the setup in the boxes the proper way to do it? the only place i could find that sells the coils and capacitors is sourceresearch.com will you tell me if these are the right parts?
coils: http://www.sourceresearch.com/fastron/Fastron-pdf.cfm?pdfpage=Msmcc.pdf
capacitors: http://www.sourceresearch.com/xicon/xicon-pdf.cfm?pdfpage=xal.pdf

any other places that sell these that you can think of or how i can search for sites that do?
i should solder these then wrap connections in electical tape? thanks again for all of you help.

image/bmpUpload
crossover.bmp (30.0 k)

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 5939
try these guys
http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/Home.htm
they sell PAC Audio stuff.
e-mail them and see if they carry PAC coils and caps for building passive audio filters.

Robinson
Unregistered guest
I have been giving this a lot of cinsideration and I can't make up my mind. What are your thoughts?
Which one has a better deal Dishnetwork or Directtv?
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us