Possible to hook up car sub in home??.

Silver Member
Username: Tpizzle

Post Number: 176
how come home subs are so much more expensive than car subs? i know most are powered but i have never seen a loud, (eclipse quality) home sub under like $700. also is there any way to hook up car subs in a house or does the whole amp system get too compicated.

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3071
god, if i could get a home sub, it would be the jl gothic, go check it out at there site, WOW, but to hoo it up you cna get a HU a big preamp battery that plugs into the wall

Username: Alumaprodave

CALIFORNIA

Post Number: 3
A 200 watt RMS Velodyne at $500.00 will make your walls shake and your dog run. Or you could splurge for a Sunfire Sub at $1600.00 and 2700 watts RMS, it will simulate an earthquake. If only these guys would get into car audio.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3076
gothica

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1622
you can build an enclosure yourself and add a dedicated home amp i actually hooked my lanzar dc 12 up off my onkyo reciever and it does pretty good someday I will experiment with subwoofers in home just like I do in car....when the time is right i will be a force to recon with in car audio for spl mark my words

CALIFORNIA

Post Number: 5
At Partsexpress.com you can get a plate amplifier for $360.00 and does 1024 watts RMS at 4ohms. The plate amp is class G, meaning the efficiency is as good as class D, but it retaines It's SQ. The plate amp has all you need: an AC cord, RCA terms, bannana plug terms, ETC. I myself am going to buy one of these and pick out a sub to match the RMS. The box will be built out of half inch MDF, but wrapped in half inch Dupont Corian.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3081
for 1025 i would get 4 atlases lol

Silver Member

Post Number: 178
home audio is so much more expensive than car audio, i wish it was possible to get a decent home setup for like 350 like you can with a car. so if you get a home amp can you hook up your car sub? i heard you cant because most home stuff is 8ohm

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3082
u can get dj amps, same price as car audio susually, plugts in the wall

CALIFORNIA

Post Number: 6
The on board amps inside home receivers really are only good for 8 ohm setup's I believe. But the RCA sub pre out on back of a receiver should be able to accept any ohm load, just as long as your sub that you choose is a good match with your plate amp that you choose. Like in my other post you can get the 1000 watt RMS amp or others:
500 watt RMS at $250.00
250 watt RMS at $130.00
All are at 4ohm loads.
Just go to Partsexpress.com, they have so much stuff!

Silver Member

Post Number: 179
so could i buy an 8ohm home plate amp, then get a 4ohm car sub and wire it to 8ohm? if not are there any $150 home subs that are loud?
one more question, i noticed above AC cord, RCA terms, bannana plug terms, ETC are all needed for home audio. do these come with most home amps. it looks like home subs need a lot more than car subs, cuz car ones need an amp and a sub and some wire.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 322
Car subs are ment for use in cars. That is why we call them car subs. Most car subs have a high Fs and wont be able to reproduce low frequencies in the house that well. Car subs are designed around vehicle cabin gain which usually helps out in the low 20's. Parts express has some good economical woofers like the MK's

CALIFORNIA

Post Number: 7
Nick is correct about the MK series from Dayton Audio which is Parts Express own subs, and they have had very good reviews. These MK subs can either be used for the home or car as Parts Express states.
12" MK III does 500 watts RMS for $160.00
15" MK III does 800 watts RMS for $200.00
The plate amp specs are as follows:
1 at $250.00 273 watts RMS at 8 ohms
546 watts RMS at 4 ohms

1 at $360.00 512 watts RMS at 8 ohms
1024 watts RMS at 4 ohms

One more thing about these 2 amps, it says they have a patented tracking downconverter power supply. This paten is also stated on the $1000.00 plus Sunfire home subs. And Parts Express does not give out the name of the plate amps they sell. MMMMMM.

Silver Member
Username: Tdeaton1021

Near Tampa, Florida USA

Post Number: 281
hey if you want to run a sub in your house i have a 1000 watt DJ amp that i need to sell... let me knwo if your interested

Anonymous

i disagree with the designed for cabin gain part.. im using fryguy's idea and it works very well. i have 4 550watt computer power supplies wired to an eclipse 9835 head unit, orion 1200d amplifier and RE XXX12 subwoofer. thats all i can afford for right now, but all is in a ported box tuned to 35Hz in my basement, and let me tell you that HOOLY SH*T lol, with concrete walls and wood cieling (basically.) all i can hear is the bass atm but the point remains the same, they are really really really loud!

Anonymous

my bad, i saw subfanatic's name and it put the word eclipse in my head. it's an alpine 9835 head unit. i can't even turn it up very loud before i can feel the pressure.

Anonymous

and for those of you who dont know what fryguy's idea is, he presented a document that contained information on how to mod your standard ATX power supply for your computer into an all-purpose STACKABLE 12V DC power-supply. you can wire them in parallel to get the combined wattage out of them, like my 4 550watt power supplies output roughly 2200W total. thers alot of people that dont like it, but for those of you that know what you are doing its a very good DIY project.

Silver Member
Username: Nnnnick_b

Nc Usa

Post Number: 327
I didnt say it wouldnt work. Most music never drops below 30 hertzs. the Fs on the XX.X is around 29 i think. A conventional ported sub for a house application is tuned to around 20 htz. I have a single tempest in my room in a sonotube tuned to 17 htz. As Johnathan stated in a previous thread one should never tune below the resonant frequency. Thus a XX.X would be a bad choice for a conventional ported box for a house application. A 35 htz tune is prob very loud, but boomy. in my opinion 35 is to high of a tune even for a car. I would tune to 30 even.

Gold Member

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3122
nick come on man, me=45 hrtz tune lol, but why does everyone relate eclipse to me?

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 73
"Possible to hook up car sub in home??."

Yes.

One of the differences between car audio and home audio equipment is resistence. 4 ohm verses 8 ohm.

If you can't afford to invest in a home system and you have/want to use your car sub, then go ahead and do so. Car audio shops do it all the time. You have seen their display sound rooms haven't you? That is a perfect example. It is physically possible, if thats your question.

How to do it?

Just use your speakers(Sub/'s, components, 6x9's, or whatever) and hook them up to your house amp/reciever. Make sure that your house amp/reciever is capable of handling the lower resistence(at least down to 4 ohms). Some amplifiers are not able to handle below 4 ohms, because there is a lot of feed-back in to the amp. If your combined resistence load is below 4 ohms then you need an amp that is capable of handling that load. Never operate your equipment if the amp is unstable below your combined resistence load!

If you want to use your car head unit, electronic x-over, and amp/s, then you need a voltage transformer. Get one that transforms from 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC. Then hook up your stuff the same way you would in your car. You will also need to install your car antannae too. Some head units actually use the antannae as a grounding source. If your head unit has a separate ground wire, then connect it to the - terminal.

Hope that answered your concern.

Username: Maximustexas

Austin, TX US

Post Number: 2
Sure you can.

I just built a sub box with two 10" Rockford Fosgate subs I originally had in my jeep.
They are 8ohm so they matched up nicely with the amp I am using to power them.
I have an old Yamaha AX630 to power the speakers and it's connected via pre-out to my new Yamaha RXV650.
It has a great sound and it only cost me the $ for the 3/4 MDF and paint.

Silver Member

Post Number: 202
so last question. could i wire my 4ohm sub to 8ohm and hook it up to a home amp?

Bronze Member
Username: Mixneffect

Orangevale, Ca. USA

Post Number: 78
"could i wire my 4ohm sub to 8ohm"

Do you mean wire two 4 ohm speakers in series to get 8 ohms? If so, YES.

If your home amp is not stable at 4 ohm load then dont do it. Most home systems are stable at 4 ohms, except the really crappy low end stuff(Sound Design, Technics, Fisher, etc..)
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us