Is it true!!!!!!!!!!!!!???????

Anonymous

having 2 subs over just 1 only gets you 3 more DB's??? heard it on here and didn't believe but i thought i would ask-- is it true? i mean whats the point in only 3 more db for that much money????

Silver Member
Username: Importrapist

Savannah, GA U.S.A

Post Number: 190
Was that my thread about the 2 T1's???

Anonymous

i don't know i just noticed someone posted something about having 2 subs over 1 would only add 3 more db's!?.... im new to car audio so i don't know much but this sounded fishy

Gold Member
Username: Fishy

Tamarac Ft.Laud, FL USA

Post Number: 1046
somebody call me?

Yeah, 2 of the same subs with the same total power will get you about 3dB, but in some cases doubling the power or going from a sealed to a ported enclosure will do the same.

-Fishy

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 341
3db is supposed to sound twice as loud

izzo
Unregistered guest
Hey guys, i read somewhere here that if u reach 100db the +3db gain wont be noticeble.. is this also true?

Silver Member
Username: Lbeckner

Tulsa, Ok Usa

Post Number: 347
No I dont think so. I could tell when I went from a sealed to a ported enclosure. And that was 146.9 db to 149.6db. It seems alot louder to me.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2647
OK this is how it is! Hypothetically say I have a jl 12w6v2 with a 500/1 going to it in a sealed enclosure. Now if I were to go with a spec tuned ported enclosure with the same amount of power I would gain roughly 3db's. OK now if I were to get another 12w6v2 and run it in the same spec ported enclosure with a 1000/1 now I would gain 3db's for doubling the sub, and 3 db's for doubling the power. All together going from my origanal 12w6v2 sealed to the two 12's ported and the 1000/1 over the 500/1 I gained about 9db's total. OK now 3db is deffinetly noticable if you dont think so just add another sub and you will notice a difference unless you are running your amp at 2ohms and adding another one runs it at 4 and you cut the power in half but thats a whole nother topic, so if you have 1 sub running at 4ohms with 300 watts and you add another so you run it at 2ohms with 600 watts you will gain about 6db's and for about every 9db's you gain you roughly double the audible level's. hope this helps.

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7810
going from one sub to two subs is +3dB
double the power is also +3dB so if you add a second sub and drop the load on the amp from 4 ohms to 2 ohms, thus doubling both driver displacement and power, you're talking +6dB which is approximately twice the perceived volume.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7811
and no
"3db is supposed to sound twice as loud"
is wrong.

+6 to +10dB is considered twice the perceived volume.
+3dB is double the actual power, and +10dB is ten times the power.
thus it takes 4 to 10 times the power to reach twice the audible volume.

izzo
Unregistered guest
so +6db overall if, 2x subs and 2x power.
And,
+3db overall if, 2x subs and 1x power(no doubling).

Enclosure,
sealed -> ported = +3db.

Gold Member
Username: James1115

Wilton, Ct

Post Number: 2659
yup but those are round about #'s not exact. if you go sealed to ported,double the sub,and double the power you will roughly gain about 9db's and like I said before roughly 9db;s is supposed to be doubling the audible volume. Glass said 6-10 so it is somewhere around there.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2721
Glass you're beginning to make this thread sound like a math class.
Glad I don't have to go back.

Dapperdanman
Unregistered guest
*psst*.. isaac can i copy your notes?

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3160
lol, i could have ended this thread so long ago, guys you are slacking! lol

Gold Member
Username: Jmloughrey

Farmington, CT

Post Number: 1252
holy heck...sub you need to chill with the posts. at this rate you're gonna catch glasswolf in just over a years time if not less....

Gold Member
Username: Insearchofbass

Post Number: 1679
i been in my car with two different setups in my car one a certain db loud and another 10 db louder and glass is right it does sound litterally twice as loud

Gold Member
Username: Subfanatic

Walton, Ky

Post Number: 3178
jeff, suince february i have gone from 120 posts to what i have now

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7826
I blame his post count on all that meth.
hahaha

yeah, a lot of figuring out car audio is math when ya get down to it. the devibel isn't a linear scale either, so it helps if you know a little advanced math for doing log scales if you really want to get into figuring out sound pressure and understanding how it works.
this is why most kids stop at "ok that's loud. I'm happy"
hehe
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us