Jonathan enclosure decisions cont...

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 900
"The frequency won't be 15hz, that is the resonant frequency of the subwoofer in free air, the frequency changes when in an enclosure. The resonant frequency of that sub in, say, a 3.5 cu ft enclosure will be around 40hz for that sub. Yes, it will handle the entire sub frequency range very well sealed".

"Mo, sealed you will hit closest to the resonant frequency of the cabin due to a flat response above around 40hz. Ported, that will depend on the cabin gain, but you'll likely still hit the loudest higher up due to the low tune of the box. Basically you can expect similar results with both since you'd have a low tuned ported, you'll just get more output down low with a ported box".

How much is more output say at 3.5 cu ft. at 22hz-24hz ported?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3774
Roughly 3db more or so in that region, and you will get more output out of the sub (not 3db more, it will gradually get less until it matches sealed) up until the 60hz region or so more than likely.

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 901
so with my available 250g4 800rms amp i should stay sealed at 3.0. The main thing is i have ID cxs componants for the doors for my front stage and i dont want overkill of that but i wanna hit hard enough to feel for RAP and differant complex bass. I use to run 2 12w6v2's sealed and it was very good SQ but with good spl. Will i get more spl with this setup sealed or not?

Gold Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 3777
If you want to outdo the 12W6v2s you had, then ported is the way to do it IMO. A 15" has less surface area than 2 12" subs do, although the Avalanche has more excursion, you may or may not use it all and it still may not offset the difference in surface area. Ported would be a definate improvement in SPL. Sealed Avalanche vs two sealed W6v2s, I'd say the Avalanche would either match them or barely outdo them, nothing substantial.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us