Need help upgrading my charging system

Username: Doggzilla

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 1
OK so I have been looking through the archives of this site for hours. I have learned somethings and realize I need to upgrade my charging system but If someone could help me with the specifics I would be most grateful. I live in an ultra small town and can not find much help. I am upgrading my system to include 3 amps (2) 1000w max kenwood kac-8101d and a 320w max kac-6401 the big amps are going to be ran @ 1 ohm to power (2) 2ohm kicker s12l5's and the small amp will be for my kenwood components. Now I realize I definitly need to upgrade my stock alternator and probly battery cables but a little help would be nice before I start spending more money.

Gold Member
Username: Carguy

Post Number: 2595
First add up all your fuse sizes on the amps. Then add on 60A to that total. That is the HO alternator size you need.
A good place to start is 4alterstart.com. Go read up on their site. It should have everything you need to upgrade your alternator.
If you're not mechanically inclined, then send them your stock alternator and they will rewind it to the size you desire.
For the amps, you will need to purchase proper power wiring kits. 2 to 4 gauge wires should be okay for your setup. Do NOT use peak/max power numbers. Always use rms.
Any other instructions you need will come with the amp and power wiring kits. Very easy to follow. Just takes lot of manual labour.

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 2
Okay I am already wired W/ 4g install I am currently running a kac-x801m, you know the old excelon on 2 2005 tornados. so that part is done and I know how to wire the amps. everything this side of the battery I preety much got figured out. My system has just never been big enough to require a bigger alternator. I guess all I'm really trying to ask is if the 150a bolt on alternator from mr.alternator is sufficient. because I am having a hard time finding anything bigger for this application. I read about the option of having my alternator rewound but this is my only car and really cannot afford for it to be down for an extended period of time. I hope I am not overcomplicating I am just trying to be specific.

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 3
btw my total on my fuses is 105a also I am running a deck + spec anylyzer so that is +20a so I realize that this totals to more than 150A but do I need the max ampage?

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 4
btw my total on my fuses is 105a also I am running a deck + spec anylyzer so that is +20a so I realize that this totals to more than 150A with what my car needs but do I need the max ampage for my amps?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2596
Well the amps you listed should be okay with 150A alternator. The numbers you mentioned were all max/peak power. So if you were to convert them to rms, it'll probably be under 800W.
When I said send them your stock alternator, I didn't mean send the one you're using. You could buy 2nd hand one for your car and send that.
Anyways, 150A is more than enough for your situation.
One more thing, you will need 4 gauge wire for the ground, alternator to the battery, and engine to chassis.

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 5
@ 1ohm I am looking at 1000 rms. Okay so now that I know 150a is sufficient do I need to add a red or yellow top also I have read here many times that a battery is worthless without the alternator but with the alternator do I need the battery, and does it make a difference that each amp has 2 built in caps? Oh and the one thing I don't know on this side of the battery is how do I ground 3 amps 3 ground wires to the same ground?

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 6
Oh and the alternator is getting a professional install job I am scared to work on japenese cars kinda funny considering thats what I own

Silver Member
Username: Suleman36

Post Number: 961
Hey isaac, what do you think about www.excessiveamperage.com or whould you still suggest 4alterstart.com ??

Gold Member

Post Number: 2598
You need to get 2 distribution blocks for your amps. Look for one that takes 2-4 gauge wire in and 2-4 gauge wires out. Makes it lot easier for power and ground wires.
I hate to bust your bubble but your so called "big amp" is not 1ohm stable. It only gives 400w rms @ 2ohms. So I was right. I said they wouldn't put out more than 800w rms.
With HO alternator, extra battery is not required, unless you plan on using the amp with the engine off.

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 8
It's not really a bubble per say. I know they are not huge amps I am not trying to see whose dick is bigger you are the man I came to you for help, but uh the owners manual lists them as 1 ohm stable and give the impedense as 500w @ 1ohm but you know that is just the manual that came with the amps also here is a web link with the specs http://www.gonextlevel.com/browseproducts/KENWOOD-KAC-8101D-.HTML
And my next question is do I need to put 2g battery cables? heard that somewhere

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 9
wasn't really going for Big amps just for amps whose RMS matched up well with the subs I wanted. also I like kenwood

Gold Member

Post Number: 2601
No, all you need is HO alternator plus the wire upgrades for engine to chassis, ground, and alternator to battery.
If the guy installing your alternator is any good, he should know exactly what I'm talking about.
The link you posted doesn't work at all.
Doesn't your manual also say 500w at 14.4v? I bet at 12v, it's 300w. You will rarely get 14.4v in your car so that number can be ignored.

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 10
wow the link works for me. Did you try pasting it in your browser. Also again I am not trying to be the biggest. Just make sure I have enough power If you want me to say my 1000w amps aren't cool I will. and actually my owners manual says I will get 500w @ 12v and 600w @ 14.4
so I probly should not ignore that number. Um but you have been alot of help with my alternator questions, and the guy installing just put a new engine in my car and has been a mechanic well since before I was born and is my cousin so I think the install will go well. Is there anything else I need to know?

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 11
is half my max wattage @ 1ohm really so far fetched for RMS?

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 12
also I am not trying to be a smartass I swear once again I came to you for help

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 13
oh one more question if I upgrade my alternator can't I get it to give me 14.4v?

Bronze Member
Username: Treeguy2oo4

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Post Number: 36
will he?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7781
yes you can.
you'll want an adjustable voltage regulator on the alternator, or with it.
speak to whomever you get the alternator from, and tell them you want it to put out 14.4VDC at idle and above. explain it's for an audio system so you want as much output at idle as possible.

Silver Member

Post Number: 970
Hey glass what kind of alternator are you running for you system?? Where did you get yours from and is it holding 14.4 at idle?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7785
14.4VDC, external voltage regulator. I had it custom built for my motor, when I built the motor.

Silver Member

Post Number: 972
What alternator shops online whould you recommend. Im looking to get a 200A alternator soon.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 7790
excessiveamperage.com or 4alterstart.com

Silver Member

Post Number: 974
I was thinking excessiveamperage.com but wasnt sure. Thanks

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 15
So I just ordered my alternator from alterstart, Got the lifetime warrenty and recharging wire. I know I do not need an additional battery but do I need to upgrade existing battery? also can somebody give me specs on my distribution block needs I know isaac said I need 2 and the sizes but this means I need 1 for power and one for ground right? just want to clarify. I know it sound like a stupid question but I have never went multi amp. I don't really want to deal with my local guy being as all he tried to do was sell me 2 yellowtops and a $200 multi amp install which I now know would have not been the right way to go

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 16
oh yeah I probly also need to upgrade my fuseable link just a bigger fuse right? but what size?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2610
If you're not having any problem with your current battery, then no upgrade is required.
For your inline fuse, add up all the fuses on your amps, and whatever the total is, that is the size. If it's over 100A, you could get a circuit breaker or a fuse.
The reason why I said 2 distribution block was for pos and ground. Makes it much easier for installing multi amps.
Don't worry, it's very easy. Not much difference between 1 and multi amp setup, except the d block and more wires to deal with.
One more thing, you can share the remote wire also.

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 17
oh yeah! I didn't even think about the remote wire. how do I do that?

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 18
I think I found the distibution block I need If I get 2 I can use them the way I need? I found them on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50550%26item%3D5770199931 %26
also is this decent price? it sounds reasonable

Gold Member

Post Number: 2612
That is a great d block. It is also very nicely priced.

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 19
but can I buy 2 and use one for ground? probly a stupid question

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 20
also how do I share remote wire?

Gold Member

Post Number: 2614
Yes, you can buy 2 for pos and ground.
Just connect all the remote wires from the amps to the one from HU using wire "twist" connector. If you don't know what that is, it's the orange cone shaped plastic connector used in household electrical wiring.

Bronze Member

Colorado Usa

Post Number: 21
NICE! Thanks again
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us