Best components to run from a 50x4 headunit???

Username: Snoophog

Post Number: 2
I have a kenwood 50x4 mp3 headunit and want to run a set on 6.5 component speakers that will not break my budget. I do not totally understand the concept of RMS but I know the RMS on my headunit is only 22. How do I get good sound when all components seem to be 50RMS or more? I was considering the Rockford Fosgate FNP2614 for $99

Gold Member
Username: Glasswolf

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2373
always use RMS and not "PMPO" "Peak" or "Max" power ratings for both speakers and amplifiers.

RMS amplifier ratings are the amount of power they can put out at full output, continuously.

RMS speaker power handling values tell you how much power the speakers can accept without damage to their coils.
this doesn't eman they have to get that much power.

for good component sets, look at CDT speakers here:
www.thezeb.com

great stuff, and good prices.

Post Number: 3
I was hoping for a suggestion of some models and what is the proper RMS I should match my head unit with? Is that Rockford set a decent one to try?

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2397
so basically you want someone else to do all of the work for you instead of lifting a finger to do any research yourself.
I applaud your laziness. :-)
read www.bcae1.com
that'll get yous tarted.

Post Number: 4
ok, here is my real question. I see RMS ratings that range from 2-90 RMS like the Infinity 6000cs? Is 22RMS good enough to run it since infalls within the rating??? Sorry I am so dense..........

Silver Member
Username: Its_bacon12

Post Number: 505
lol yes 22w rms is fine for them - just wont be SPL breaking levels...

Anonymous

You need to find a set of components you like with high sensitivity. The Infinity 6000cs are 91db I think, pretty loud off a head unit. The problem with head units is that they don't sound clean, especially cranked up. That's why most people amp component systems, also because the crossover eats up some of the wattage.

Post Number: 5
thanks for the advice. Do you know of a small inexpensive amp to use purely for the componets? Or should I use one for all of my speakers since I am amping? In my durango I also have pioneer 3ways in the rear doors.

Gold Member

NorthWest, Michigan USA

Post Number: 2755
try the JBL P80.4
40w x 4 @ 4 ohms RMS, runs about $135 I think.
solid amp.

Username: Glinkov

Post Number: 1
I have a Honda accord 2000 coupe. I wanted to get an infinity basslink x sub/amp and change the speakers. Is this a good plan or is something else more appropriate? (i'm new to all this)Also, which kenwood 6-1/2" and 6"-9" speakers would you guys recommend. Thanks for the help

Bronze Member
Username: Jonathan_f

GA USA

Post Number: 14
I wouldn't recommend Kenwood speakers at all, especially with better ones in the price range. I don't know how much you're willing to spend, but component systems and a single sub sound better than 4 coaxials almost always. The money you'd spend on 4 speakers can be put to a good component system, and you won't spend all that much more. Basslinks are pretty good, but online you can find a separate sub and amp cheaper and it will sound better if you're willing to sacrifice a little more cargo space. JBL amps are nice, cheap too, the JBL 300.1 is around 150, then you could get one DVC Sub that is 4+4 ohms, like the Infinity Reference 12" for your budget.

Unregistered guest
I have a Kenwood KDc 3024 head unit, says 4x50 watts. I'm running 4 x 13cm Sony Xplods which really struggle when you want to put the volume up (not crank it up). My friend has just ditched the 17cm, one way cones out of his Xsara and they ran off a 10w unit. The question is can I rig those cones off the back of my existing speaker setup safely? It's almost impossible for me to fit an amp/sub in there so I just wanna see if I can make a 6 speaker system out of a 4 speaker unit by running some cable in parralel to a set of speakers.
« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Main Forums

Today's Posts

Forum Help

Follow Us